• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Locking Threaded Chucks

I had it on the factory 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and one that I made for my 5" Bison set true. The clamp did not change the runout at all.

Which clamp arrangement was this? I don't have the clamp ring one. On mine, the slots are cut into the back plate registration with a SHCS to clamp it, no ring.

Mine all had separate clamping rings. On the two that I made, I used shaft collars, and bored them to size. The bore was tapered a degree or two to keep it on, the backplate had a matching taper. That way the ring can't fall off unless you really loosen it.

Certainly. All mine were cast, one was an old pulley, one was a barbell weight. Ill send a pic of one in the morning

I can relate. I will never mention to anyone the times I have left the chuck key in the chuck...depending on RPM, can be a gentle reminder or a hypersonic missile.
These are all good reminders. I do occasionally leave the key in the chuck and kind of shrug it off as no big deal as I have never attempted to turn the machine on....yet. So I will heed the wisdom shared here and remind myself to avoid that disaster.

If your lathe stops abruptly, it works the same as putting it in reverse. the momentum of hte chuck keeps it spinning, while the spindle is stiopped. this will unwind the chuck with the result @dfloen had
Ok that makes sense. Thought it just unwound in forward.

Heres one I made :

51012148525_4954c5555a_m.jpg

Thats a shaft collar bored to fit

Hmmmmm, I had a different vision.......
I am thinking of putting one in the bandsaw and cutting it parallel to the backplate to about half way then using a slitting saw with one cut in the middle of the cut section. An allen screw clamps the sections against the spindle. I'll search around and see if I can find a picture of what I am talking about....

Hmmmmm, I had a different vision.......
I am thinking of putting one in the bandsaw and cutting it parallel to the backplate to about half way then using a slitting saw with one cut in the middle of the cut section. An allen screw clamps the sections against the spindle. I'll search around and see if I can find a picture of what I am talking about....

Like this?

4J.JPG

It's slotted two ways.

Yup, that is what I was trying to spit out... Lol. It looks like it should lock well and being the cheap bugger that I can be.... :D

Yup, that is what I was trying to spit out... Lol. It looks like it should lock well and being the cheap bugger that I can be.... :D

I'm not confident enough to drill the screw hole thought the flange. The flange pictured is a lot thicker.

Can't seem to get @dfloen to comment on his build? Blocked me maybe?

Last edited:
I'm not confident enough to drill the screw hole thought the flange. The flange pictured is a lot thicker.

Can't seem to get @dfloen to comment on his build? Blocked me maybe?
Okay, then I would probably put it on my lathe backwards and turn the spigot parallel, then armed with that measurement turn a locking ring as you have in the pictures, drill, tap and split that and cut the back plate as you were going to. But definitely make the locking ring vs buying it, it looks like a good skills building project.

Okay, then I would probably put it on my lathe backwards and turn the spigot parallel, then armed with that measurement turn a locking ring as you have in the pictures, drill, tap and split that and cut the back plate as you were going to. But definitely make the locking ring vs buying it, it looks like a good skills building project.

One piece or two piece clamping collar?

Back