• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Locking Threaded Chucks

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thought I'd revive this topic based on some chatter on @YYCHM's threading tool thread (see what I did there?)
The perennial question of how to reverse thread on a lathe with a screw-on chuck.
There's this example

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A big thread on Hobbymachinist.com

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had a threaded spindle on my V10p. Emco uses a locking collar with 4 relief cuts. It works great, when you remember to tighten the collar.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Got a pic?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So i had a chuck spin off on me once.

I was asked to do a quick job. Shop wasn't heated, was pretty cold, but it was a quick face off to thickness job on a round spacer of some sort. I had to change chucks and neglected to fully tighten the lock ring. When i turned the lathe off at 2000ish rpm, due to the cold and thick headstock oil im guessing, the 5" chuck left the spindle, dropped onto the lathe bed...and flew right at me. It hit me in the chest, grabbed my sweatshirt, hit my hand as i blocked it, climbed up my sweater, and whacked me in the chin. I caught it before it hit the ground, and then i almost hit the ground. Lathe bed was missing a chunk,, palm of right hand missing a chunk, and the chuck was damaged beyond repair. Chest hurt like i'd been hit by a truck, palm should have had some stitches. I'll never own another threaded spindle again. Be careful if you have one.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That must have been a terrifying moment - once you had a chance to figure out what actually happened.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That must have been a terrifying moment - once you had a chance to figure out what actually happened.
It was. It happened very very quickly.

But more than that i felt like an idiot. I know i tightened the clamp, but obviously not enough. I don't even like telling anyone about it, but i think its an important reminder.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I can relate. I will never mention to anyone the times I have left the chuck key in the chuck...depending on RPM, can be a gentle reminder or a hypersonic missile.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My reverse lockout mechanism....LOL

11313_d5c16ca61112e3b92db52ee166d46b31.jpg

I did this after watching my chuck unscrew itself one time.... luckily I caught it in time. I think I was trying to reverse out a stalled drill bit.

The chuck key thing..... well... you probably only do that twice before smartening up.

Last edited:

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I definetly didn't hit reverse....wasn't possible on that machine, but thats still a good safety measure.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The brits are famous for their improvised anti-unscrew hacks for their myford screw-on chucks. Apparently they can indeed safely lock a chuck on. (no endorsement here, though)

@dfloen that was a very close call.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Has anyone seen the Emco clamping backplate applied to a 3J? A 4J you have to dial in anyway you look at it.