• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Locking Threaded Chucks

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Spent the day prepping this backplate that I sourced from @140mower (Thanks Don).....

BPWCOLLAR.JPG

Had to turn the registration down and re locate/drill the mounting holes. Then I turned the spigot/boss down to accommodate a 2.25" clamping collar. Tomorrow I'll source a 1/16" thick slitting saw to slot the spigot/boss with and will see if I can set her up on the mill using a angle plate. I'm left hand challenged right now and I don't think I can mount the RT due to it's weight. We will see.

@dfloen will 1/16" be wide enough? Your images look a lot wider than that.

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I had a look at the set up on a Schaublin, the clamp is there, but there are not slits in the backing plate just slits in the ring. That bore is the is the surface that mates with the shoulder of the spindle is the critical register for the chuck, so not crazy about machining it. I guess it would depend on how much clearance there was as to whether you had to or not..

20220213_095706-1300x631.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ha.... don't know why I was thinking RTs and angle plates..... Over thinking things again:p

Slots.JPG

Stuck her in the vise and used machinists squares to align things. Thank god for a PF... it was lots of back and forth and plenty of cutting fluid. Had the VFD set to 10 hz:p

BPMounted.JPG

Seems to work.... as to how well I won't know until I mount it with a chuck and really reef on it

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Was doing some turning today that wasn't going well at all......

Discovered the chuck runout had degraded to 10 thou :eek: . It should have been no more than 5.

Ends up where you tighten the locking ring on the backplate boss can pull things 5 thou out of alignment:oops::confused:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ends up where you tighten the locking ring on the backplate boss can pull things 5 thou out of alignment
Could be a mismatch of bores/fits somewhere between the critical surfaces. If you have a bit of adjustability on the chuck back plate, you might be able to remove most of it after you install the chuck. Bit of a drag having to do it each time, but might be worth it when you turn more critical parts. OTOH, if you have enough stock for removal, the runout won’t really matter if all the surfaces get machined in one set-up.