• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Lethbridge blacksmithing tools

Royalpaste

Sorry I'm new just getting into blacksmithing and found this site and guess you guys are probably gonna be the most help.

Any ways at the moment I'm running on a 0$ setup. Forge is pretty good can weld with it (wood ATM, will be getting charcoal soon) but everything else is in disarray. My anvil is a rock and a steel plate, my tools are as basic as it can get. If anyone here can help me source tools/anvil that'd be amazing.

Also Kijiji didn't work too well people want 6/lb for anvils and tools are nonexistent.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I’m no blacksmith but growing up a chunk of steel railway rail worked well as a makeshift anvil

I’m guessing farm auctions may be a good starting point?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes used anvil are ridiculously priced. You can buy cheap (under $200) new Asian made anvils but they are all on the small side and obviously the quality of them would not be on par with a big old anvil.
What sort of tools are you looking for what sort of blacksmithing/projects will you be doing?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
There’s a blacksmith group in Alberta. Worth contacting those guys I think. There is a forged anvil at princess auto. Not cast iron but forged. It wasn’t horribly expensive .... welcome to the forum!

Post pictures Royal paste! You have to post three messages before you can upload pictures.

Royalpaste

Yes used anvil are ridiculously priced. You can buy cheap (under $200) new Asian made anvils but they are all on the small side and obviously the quality of them would not be on par with a big old anvil.
What sort of tools are you looking for what sort of blacksmithing/projects will you be doing?

Huh I guess Ill have to take a peak there. For tools I need tongs, hole punch, ect. I really just got a hammer and vise grips. For projects I really have no clue was just gonna figure it out as I go, I do wanna make a viking axe head though.

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I started as you are, just settle for the princess auto anvil, and get some basic punches for holes, hack saw for cuts, and now you have what you need to make tongs, start practicing bending and straightening and making holes. Scrap Material will be your next challenge

Royalpaste

I started as you are, just settle for the princess auto anvil, and get some basic punches for holes, hack saw for cuts, and now you have what you need to make tongs, start practicing bending and straightening and making holes. Scrap Material will be your next challenge
Thanks, I guess the princess Auto one it is then. I've got the rebar for the tongs, straightening down but I'm having a really hard time with curves. Is it since I'm just using a flat anvil?

Brian H

Super User
Sorry I'm new just getting into blacksmithing and found this site and guess you guys are probably gonna be the most help.

Any ways at the moment I'm running on a 0$ setup. Forge is pretty good can weld with it (wood ATM, will be getting charcoal soon) but everything else is in disarray. My anvil is a rock and a steel plate, my tools are as basic as it can get. If anyone here can help me source tools/anvil that'd be amazing.

Also Kijiji didn't work too well people want 6/lb for anvils and tools are nonexistent.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm not sure if AB is anything like SK, but, out here guys are wanting premium dollar for old sway back beat up anvils. You may get lucky at a farm auction, still have to be prepared to dig into your pocket a ways tho.

I'm a hobby knifemaker and around here even railway track is hard to come by. I have resigned myself to stock removal for now in the hopes of getting lucky down the road.

We have a blacksmithing guild that I have just discovered (Saskachewan Blacksmiths on FB) you could connect with them and see if anyone can help you out. They seem like a pretty decent group (I have just recently found them so I haven't had too much interaction yet)

Best of luck in your search!