• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Lathe DRO-Aikron A30 LCD

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That should be easy enough to fabricate in the home shop?

Yes. But a big block of aluminum costs more than the whole thing cost!

And it doesn't really work that well either. Most drill bits are not long enough. I'd make one half that size (or maybe 1/3), but I have at least 42 gizmo projects on my list that are higher priority.

If I do make one, I'd like to make it with three legs - one of which is adjustable. That way, it can be used on slightly sloped surfaces.

Btw, every time I mention 42, I think of you! The first time I saw it used was in one of your posts. I thought it strange that so many of your projects were 42 but thought absolutely nothing about you having so many projects! It was quite a while before I finally understood where it came from. I use it all the time now and always think of you when I do. I hope that makes the idea theft ok.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Why is aggressive knurling important?

It's the knurl factor......

As in cool factor! It's a colour choice on Ali..... LOL!

Also, the metric ones have bigger knurls so you can tell it's metric in the dark. :rolleyes:

Lastly, @David_R8 is very competitive..... LOL!

Note - it's raining here today, so no farming for a while. My twisted sense of humour is on a rampage.

I'm trying to catch up to @140mower and @DPittman........ So, it's only gunna get worse......

Last edited:

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yeah, those jigs can sometimes come in handy, if you can find which drawer you put it in, and if you have enough room to use them....which sometimes is never.

The pictures below is the down and dirty way to do free-hand drilling and tapping.

The one with the bent wire: if you're angled upwards, the wire moves forward. If angled downwards, the wire moves towards the chuck. Put the wire, straightened paper clip on the unfluted section.

Attachments

• 20230515_121729.jpg
    20230515_121729.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230520_084856.jpg
    20230520_084856.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230520_085348.jpg
    20230520_085348.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 9

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I get that too try a level teaspoon of arm and hammer and around a inch or so of water and it’s gone just like that.
Are you talking heart burn or acid reflux? Nexium clobbered my heart burn. I almost never have that anymore. But I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with a mouthful or a lung full of vomit - also called acid reflux.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Are you talking heart burn or acid reflux? Nexium clobbered my heart burn. I almost never have that anymore. But I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with a mouthful or a lung full of vomit - also called acid reflux.
I get both and it works fine.