• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Lathe DRO-Aikron A30 LCD

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You guys are a very bad influence!!

Just received the Aikron A30 LCD DRO. 3-axis, but only ordered 2 scales. 1 micron cross, 5 micron z-axis. It'll be a while before I can install the scales though.

Attachments

• 20230503_184712.jpg
    20230503_184712.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 14

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well, I started the install. The x-axis is in, plus the covers. I might figure out a better cover, but its fine for now...until it isn't!

Attachments

• 20230509_172333.jpg
    20230509_172333.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230509_172351.jpg
    20230509_172351.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230509_172402.jpg
    20230509_172402.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230509_172442.jpg
    20230509_172442.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230509_172454.jpg
    20230509_172454.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 44

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I dont know about you and tom... I prefer to look to my left.
Honestly, I don't know where to put the screen, so I'm going to have to experiment as time goes by. I have my most often used tools on a wooden platform on top of the head stock, and switching tools is quite fluid and quick process, so the screen won't fit in that area.

Attachments

• 20230509_190916.jpg
    20230509_190916.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 12

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Interesting. I have my Shumatech DRO-350 to the left of the head on my mill. But the CNC PC keyboard, mouse and screen are on the right. More a space issue than a choice of preference since I don't know my preference.

I think on the lathe I'd rather have the display to the right. But I'm not sure why...

OTOH, I can see that if I'm looking at the tool tip entering the work and the DRO is just in the same direction of sight it would be useful.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
OTOH, I can see that if I'm looking at the tool tip entering the work and the DRO is just in the same direction of sight it would be useful.

Honestly, I don't know where to put the screen, so I'm going to have to experiment as time goes by.

I'm planning to put my display right ABOVE the headstock. I plan to make a double sided wooden hat out of clean maple to match my tool holder rack. I love the marriage of wood and metal.

One side of the hat fits over the headstock like any hat would, and can be clamped down if necessary. The other side of the hat acts like a flat shallow sided tray to hold tools and other things I need handy to the lathe. Could be tool holders like yours, or whatever. Because there are shallow sides on the top of the hat, the tools will never fall off. I might drill a few holes to add Allen wrenches, screw drivers, or whatever. The left side of the top will be taller and have an anchor to hold my DRO Display. I want the display on the left so I can glance from the part to the display without turning my head. A lot of intense things happen at the chuck jaws. I don't want to be looking elsewhere.

I also don't want the display in the line of fire from hot swarf or whatever. So it will be attached at the left side of the hat and sit above the left side.

Edit - I forgot to add the little detail that led me to this solution. I do not want to drill and tap holes in my headstock to hold a display mount. Too much risk of punching through into the oil box. A hat needs no screws to hold it in place and then the mount can be screwed to the wooden hat.

Last edited:

gerritv

Gerrit
This is the way: it is directly in my line of sight, just need to glance up. Or, as I do more and more, I just watch the DRO, not the tool. No sign of cutting fluids on the cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_095213 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20221121_095213 (Medium).jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 26

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is the way: it is directly in my line of sight, just need to glance up. Or, as I do more and more, I just watch the DRO, not the tool. No sign of cutting fluids on the cover.

No way that would work for me @gerritv . My backsplash and the whole wall behind my lathe has a racing stripe on it. I cannot even begin to imagine how you keep yours so clean. I'll take a picture tomorrow and add it to this post.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Why are there two different displays. One on the left and the one behind the headstock.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Crappy pic but mine is oriented like so. Just right of the chuck jaws, which seems to be where my attention is focused most of the time. So its a quick vertical-ish nod up & down between DRO & work. I can swing the display away it if I'm expecting spray. I found that using thicker viscosity fluid & (not in picture) backsplash helped. But the DRO competes for spatial real estate with the (LED converted study) light. Ceiling LEDs replacing fluorescents helped a lot but I still prefer a local light, so I haven't solved that yet. I think I require what amounts to a Noga arm but at 1/10 the cost.

1683688408127.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I keep things clean by not hosing on the coolant/cutting oil :) Just enough to do the job.

I don't like it all over the place either so I'm already careful not to use more than I need. I found that thicker fluids helped. I usually just apply it very sparingly with a brush or a small dropper can.

I don't know how you manage to avoid racing stripes.