Tool Knipex Cobra Pliers

Tool

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
An insidious trick many retailers are doing is insisting on SKU's/model #'s unique to their stores. We recently tried to price compare mattresses sold at Sleep Country for example. Good luck. I think its a dirty trick, i.e. the system depends on competition and this is a deliberate attempt to reduce it by obfuscation.

Sleep Country are dirty cheats to begin with...they have sales they won't even tell you about unless you ask for a specific one you saw in an advertisement, not happy with that place at all.

The unique SKU's is common though, Home Depot/Lowes have been doing this for a while on tools especially....hence things like Power Detect and Flexvolt Advantage from Dewalt.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My wife’s out-of-pocket costs (including parking) for cataract surgery and a new lens in her left eye is less than what we’ve paid for glasses.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My wife’s out-of-pocket costs (including parking) for cataract surgery and a new lens in her left eye is less than what we’ve paid for glasses.

Cost for glasses is ridiculous if you ask me!

But my turn to ask a dumb question. Isn't cataract surgery and a new lens the same thing? I always thought they removed the cloudy human lens and stuck in a new clear fake lens.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member

But my turn to ask a dumb question. Isn't cataract surgery and a new lens the same thing? I always thought they removed the cloudy human lens and stuck in a new clear fake lens.
You are correct, but the surgery includes a base-model lens. We decided to upgrade the lens to the next one up. Remember Sears tablesaws - Good Better Best?

Same options on cataract lenses.

Tecnico

(Dave)

Correct but as @whydontu says the base model new lens may require prescription glasses to correct astigmatism & near/far sightedness (the inaccuracy remains in the retina). You can get lenses that correct the above but still leave you needing reading glasses for close up.

You can also get lenses that somehow integrate close up vision but give away something at night.

The latter two are the better & “best” options but they are more co$tly.

I would think the glasses, even progressives, that correct for close up should be cheaper……. The docs tell you that drug store reading glasses should be as good as prescription for close up.

D :cool:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This thread went from tools to mattresses - totally logical to me and I’ll throw in my nickel’s worth. Not sure about hearing aids (yet) - but not at all surprising. Glasses - oh yea a rip off. I too hate Sleep County, long story but bottom line is I’ll never enter that store again. Lets throw in the cost to keep a smart phone connected and also how about regular service bills to maintain your new car warranty?

Back to tools and their big box stores. I like Home Hardware and Canadian Tire. But I most often frequented Lowes and very least visited Rona. It’ll be interesting to see how the Lowes/Rona marriage works out.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Tecnico and @whydontu - I "see" and agree now that you have explained your meaning.

I was only thinking of the lens as a lens. FWIW, mine is also a corrective prescription lens plus I also added UV protection.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
This thread went from tools to mattresses - totally logical to me and I’ll throw in my nickel’s worth. Not sure about hearing aids (yet) - but not at all surprising. Glasses - oh yea a rip off. I too hate Sleep County, long story but bottom line is I’ll never enter that store again. Lets throw in the cost to keep a smart phone connected and also how about regular service bills to maintain your new car warranty?

Back to tools and their big box stores. I like Home Hardware and Canadian Tire. But I most often frequented Lowes and very least visited Rona. It’ll be interesting to see how the Lowes/Rona marriage works out.

When I stopped in a few weeks ago at your place, I was just coming from the annual service on my Porsche, $1450 for the third year one...year before was $800ish, year before that was $450ish. Luckily had pre-paid maintenance given to me by the selling dealer for first three years, but next year's is going to be north of $2000 (before dropping back to the $450 one). Can you believe the thing has less than 6000km on it and they already did spark plugs and brake fluid changes? :D

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Not sure about hearing aids (yet) - but not at all surprising. Glasses - oh yea a rip off. I too hate Sleep County, long story but bottom line is I’ll never enter that store again.

Interestingly "Listen up Canada" was founded by Stephen Gunn, who started Sleep Country.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
$7K for hearing aids? how about using wireless ear buds? https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-use-your-apple-airpods-pro-as-hearing-aids
Apple ones are discussed in this article but what about other brands too?

...Back to tools and their big box stores. I like Home Hardware and Canadian Tire. But I most often frequented Lowes and very least visited Rona. It’ll be interesting to see how the Lowes/Rona marriage works out.
I think Lowes/Rona is already in divorce proceedings. The Lowes are being turned back into Rona's. Just another american retailer who thinks they can offer less for more and we Canadians will just flock to their store. let's see Target, Nordstrom, Lowes, Sak's (maybe not yet). And the poor dept stores both domestic and foreign..Woodwards, Eatons, Sears. Dylex. MEC (not yet but ... alas what a blow that one is...)

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
WOW - MEC, hadn’t heard that. I’d miss them. But not surprised- great store that competition would like to crush and sell stuff that is higher volume but not top quality.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
WOW - MEC, hadn’t heard that. I’d miss them. But not surprised- great store that competition would like to crush and sell stuff that is higher volume but not top quality.

Who is MEC?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I buy a LOT from amazon. Mostly because of convenience, unless its something i need right now. I rarley price compare on smaller items. However, the other day I needed to order some Ridgid cutting oil, and my parts supplier locally doesn't have it, so I go on Amazon. It was 63 bucks. Last jug was around 32 iirc. So i search the part number and find it on Home Depot for 37 with free delivery. It'll be here tomorrow.

Upnorth

MEC = Mountain Equipment Co-op. Started out as a good idea. People wanted to do group buys to reduce costs on mountaineering equipment. It was owned by the shoppers who were required to purchase a share in the company to shop there. $5 if I remember right. Anything I bought there was of good quality. I still have a tent and a down filled sleeping bag I bought from them. Eventually the company was run into the ground by poor management and sold off.