Tool Knipex Cobra Pliers

Tool

neer724

So here is an interesting story. I wanted to get a pair of the 10" Knipex Cobra Pliers. So I do a quick google search and I see Mississauga Hardware selling them for 49.99 and Atlas Tools selling it for 48.99.

I then see Home Depot selling the exact same thing for 89.99 o_O

HD is only a few minutes from my house and they had it in stock - Picked up a pair go to the cashier and ask them to Price Match. First the cashier said No - that is something completely different - it's half the price as what we sell it for - I said double check the part number - she did and was still refusing. She said she had the call a manager, the tool manager comes up and says yup its real - we price match Atlas Tools all the time.

I asked if I got an additional 10% of the difference - the manager said no - we only do that against big box stores like Lowes, Rona, and Canadian tire.

Can't believe there is such a discrepancy in pricing.

Even Napa Canada sells it for 63.99 - the prices are all over the place.....

neer724

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
That’s interesting HD did such a dramatic price match.

I was looking for some wooden dowels. HD’s prices were astronomical compared to Lee Valley. The days of trusting the big box stores to provide somewhat reasonable prices are well and truly gone (Similar for Amazon…)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yeah HD does 1 price match out of 100 duped customers who walk out of the store assuming its probably average price. That's how you make law of large averages work in your favor.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’ve used the HD price match +10% a couple of times. I think of it as a reward for being a smart shopper. BUT - the store mgr was always involved, it takes a bit of time, and the line behind you does not share your joy.
CanT has been carrying Knipex. Their price on quality stuff is usually high - i think to make their Maximum stuff look better. I got my pair of Knipex at CanT when they had them on sale at a really good price - but i don’t remember what i paid - way past my brains expiry date.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I’ve used the HD price match +10% a couple of times. I think of it as a reward for being a smart shopper. BUT - the store mgr was always involved, it takes a bit of time, and the line behind you does not share your joy.
CanT has been carrying Knipex. Their price on quality stuff is usually high - i think to make their Maximum stuff look better. I got my pair of Knipex at CanT when they had them on sale at a really good price - but i don’t remember what i paid - way past my brains expiry date.

Knipex is usually cheaper at amazon or mississauga hardware or wiseline tools or similar places. Home Depot and Canadian Tire are usually the last place I shop for tools, and this is especially true of cordless tools.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Home Depot and Canadian Tire are usually the last place I shop for tools, and this is especially true of cordless tools.
I believe you gave hints on how to price shop on another thread? What do you think of using Camel Camel Camel to track prices on Amazon, and then use the lowest price from that site as a “starting point” for finding prices elsewhere.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have noticed HD prices particularly post covid are usually higher than other stores especially things from the electrical department. For example 1110 "utility" boxes IIRC are over $3@HD, however I can get them for $1.00 at the mom and pop store a km away. Many electrical items are cheaper on Amazon delivered to my door, they are gouging plain and simple.

Interest that I can't access H.D. website right now I'm away on vacation and their entire website is blocked here.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I have noticed HD prices particularly post covid are usually higher than other stores especially things from the electrical department. For example 1110 "utility" boxes IIRC are over $3@HD, however I can get them for $1.00 at the mom and pop store a km away. Many electrical items are cheaper on Amazon delivered to my door, they are gouging plain and simple.

Interest that I can't access H.D. website right now I'm away on vacation and their entire website is blocked here.

Try Gerrie Electric too...their wire prices are sometimes half of what HD and other big box stores sell things at.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
First the cashier said No - that is something completely different

An insidious trick many retailers are doing is insisting on SKU's/model #'s unique to their stores. We recently tried to price compare mattresses sold at Sleep Country for example. Good luck. I think its a dirty trick, i.e. the system depends on competition and this is a deliberate attempt to reduce it by obfuscation.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
An insidious trick many retailers are doing is insisting on SKU's unique to their stores. We recently tried to price compare mattresses sold at Sleep Country for example. Good luck. I think its a dirty trick, i.e. the system depends on competition and this is a deliberate attempt to reduce it by obfuscation.

That's a dirty lowdown evil stunt..... I'd go elsewhere just because of it.