• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Jswain's active projects

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Don't worry about a brake Sus, it would never work for you anyway. Could you imagine clearing your welding table off so you coud put a sheet on it for bending ?:confused:

Good point.......

But maybe that isn't really that big an issue. I figure it will have to go in the barn yard someplace anyway cuz there in no room inside for a table unless a tractor goes outside and that isn't happening. Since an outside table would be visible to the bride from the yard, you can rest assured that it will never have anything on it.

I know it's sacrilege to put a welding table outside, but that's the way it's gunna hafta be. I'm resigned to having a rusty old table someday.

Who else has theirs outside?

Does the rust matter? How about a few big stainless studs on the insides of the 4 legs to put the ground cable on?

And how would a rusty table affect a sheet metal brake?

Jswain

Joe
That power feed module.... I'm thinking it might be a good alternative for driving the lead screw on my mini-lathe. I just don't like the gear train running off the spindle drive.

How is the one you have working out for you??
The one I have had been so far flawless. I haven't used it much recently, but after installing I did use it quite a bit.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just don't like the gear train running off the spindle drive.

That is the common way of doing it. A set of gears linking the lead screw to the spindle is an excellent and common way to mechanically achieve an exact thread pitch.

There are electronic (ELS) ways to do it too.

That is the common way of doing it. A set of gears linking the lead screw to the spindle is an excellent and common way to mechanically achieve an exact thread pitch.

There are electronic (ELS) ways to do it too.
Yup. I've seen people integrating power feeds for threading but it's complicated programming and I'm not up for that. I'll tap any threads I need and avoid the larger diameter stuff... or use the gears. My machine is underpowered in low-end torque as it is so having the gears off is better - and quieter.

I'm more interested in the "speed and feed" options for achieving smoother finishes. I'm just now learning how how important that is.... it's really tricky to do it manually. So having control over feeding the tool along the workpiece should make for a better finish. That's what I imagine anyways..

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
it's really tricky to do it manually. So having control over feeding the tool along the workpiece should make for a better finish. That's what I imagine anyways..

My opinion will not be popular.

I think learning to do it manually in a smooth consistent repeatable manner is a very important skill to acquire. It isn't as hard as you might think. It's all in how you use your two hands to turn and control the wheel. Practice makes perfect.

I'm actually MUCH MORE afraid of getting a motorized system to do as well automatically as I can do manually than I am about doing a good job manually.