• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop Is your shop messy or spotless?

Shop

What does your shop look like?

• A total junk yard

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Organized Chaos

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Well used but messy

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Jam packed but room to move

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Not enough tools to be really messy yet

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Everything has a place & is in it

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • No clutter anywhere - nothing on surfaces

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Spotless - you can eat off the floor

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Showroom Shop

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sadly mistaken on that one my friend. It may not be as bad as in the east but there are all sorts of rusted out vehicles around here. They use far far more salt/ice melting compounds on the roads than they used to. Plus with the stupid body design (dirt hang up places) of many vehicles it is common to see rust holes on 8-10 year old vehicles.

Ya, it was only meant as a relative thing - sorta like the cost of machinery in the east vs the west.

There is no doubt that the difference between East and West is huge, even with the salts and crappy body designs. But I agree that it's still a problem.

The real point is that putting a car in a garage out west is not going to kill it. But doing that here in the rust belt is an invitation to disaster without rust proofing and regular maintenance.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I really don't know which box to check. Likely better to have @David_R8 or @PaulL who have visited check the box for me. I'm likely to fib...
I'm in a tidy phase. Helps that I have a couple of friends who come by on Wednesdays for "machinist and bluegrass night". If I don't keep it tidy no-one gets anything done.
Incidentally, our little old-time string band is short a mandolin player. Any Victoria folks play mandolin?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I'm in a tidy phase. Helps that I have a couple of friends who come by on Wednesdays for "machinist and bluegrass night". If I don't keep it tidy no-one gets anything done.
Incidentally, our little old-time string band is short a mandolin player. Any Victoria folks play mandolin?
I wanted to. Never got around to it. Same strings as violin which I played for a number of years before changing to Tenor Sax. In fact was in at Tommy Lee's getting stocking stuffers for our son and went looking for Mandolins. Only Ukuleles.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I play the double bass :p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I build analog synthesizer modules, so I can make eep-eep-ep—boing-wowiwowow-kalink-thrubb noises interspersed with 80s drum machine mechanical beats. Probably not what you have in mind.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Found one picture for proof lol it was a long long time ago, this is circa 2003ish

I just want to know who the two are that are eating off their floors, so If we ever have a forum get together potluck to not eat what they brought :D.

I think we might have discovered one of our two suspects @Dan Dubeau ! Looks to me like somebody was licking that floor!

Then again no. He posted photos of his shop and it wasn't that clean. I saw stains by the car tires and he could not close the lid on his tool box cuz there was too much in it.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I think we might have discovered one of our two suspects @Dan Dubeau ! Looks to me like somebody was licking that floor!

Then again no. He posted photos of his shop and it wasn't that clean. I saw stains by the car tires and he could not close the lid on his tool box cuz there was too much in it.

Hahah believe me, my shop floor is not that clean.

At least you have some photos for memories. I spent a year as a DJ at CJOI 1440 AM. Not a single photo.

I'm sure I could find some other ones, but I'd have to fire up an old old computer.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member

It could have been marinara sauce, not tranny fluid stains.

Toolbox lids aren't meant to be closed. Its only to make them smaller for shipping to the stores.....

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I build analog synthesizer modules, so I can make eep-eep-ep—boing-wowiwowow-kalink-thrubb noises interspersed with 80s drum machine mechanical beats. Probably not what you have in mind.
I often help a buddy with the synths that he collects - I'm not afraid of (de-)soldering. Mostly we make them better ;-)
I will admit to frying almost every op-amp I've ever worked with. Pure incompetence.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok I nearly spit out my tea reading this.. awesome!

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I often help a buddy with the synths that he collects - I'm not afraid of (de-)soldering. Mostly we make them better ;-)
I will admit to frying almost every op-amp I've ever worked with. Pure incompetence.
Hopefully at least a few failed with magic smoke emitted. No fun if they just sit there dead.

Carbob

My place looks like the beach at low tide!! The work space wears many hats, and they are all competing for space. Machine shop, woodworking shop, welding shop, repair shop, hang-out, and each hat requires a different set of tools. Wish I was one of those more organized people I keep hearing about, but that just isn't me, sadly.