• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Is windows 10 good for CAD Prusa Slicer, and CNC?

gerritv

Gerrit
I know some of this stuff can be a bit like drinking out of a fire hose, just take the time to ask in order to avoid frustration and $ waste.

Both the links that you gave are for M2 interfaced drives, which won't work in your laptop. the physical connector is very different.

I assume that where you are located there won't be a CanadaComputers store :) so this would be a good alternative at a reasonable cost: https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Digital-240GB-SA400S37-240G/dp/B01N5IB20Q

External drives are useful for extra storage, but the PC/laptop will only boot/operate from the internal drive.

Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
256 or 512gb is fine, but it can't be an M2, it should be a Sata, e.g.

Why can't it be an M2? Many laptops today have integrated SSD hard drives. Even my flight Sim desktop has an M2 SSD hard drive.

That said, some of the older laptops had proprietary SSDs and you can't upgrade them.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hopefully this will be my last questions.
I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome so to speak.
I found some videos on youtube about installing the ssd, but I found this setup

There is no way you need to worry about wearing us out. Just keep at it and we will help till we can't.

I assume @gerritv knows you don't have an M2 drive in your laptop now so you can't install one.

If you know what kind of drive you have, you can prolly install a bigger one of that type.

That said, if you do a clean install of win 10, I bet your current drive will be big enough. It's all that other crap that builds up and fills your drive.

An external drive will help, but as @gerritv says, it's difficult to get the laptop to boot from it. But not impossible. You can change your bios settings to boot from an external ssd if you know what you are doing. Don't do that without usb3 or usb c.

The best would be to find a local geek. Where are you anyway?

The best upgrade you can give your current laptop is more memory. It's amazing what that will do for you.

gerritv

Gerrit
The challenge is a 2013 laptop will not have an M2 interface (and the replace HD video for that laptop shows that). And it can't have USBC (2015 release?) . I couldn't in a brief search find too many specs but its age is a good indicator of what it won't have

Ken's issue isn't space, it is a lethargic laptop due to a typical laptop slow-as-molasses-to-save-battery hard drive.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The challenge is a 2013 laptop will not have an M2 interface (and the replace HD video for that laptop shows that). And it can't have USBC (2015 release?) . I couldn't in a brief search find too many specs but its age is a good indicator of what it won't have

Ken's issue isn't space, it is a lethargic laptop due to a typical laptop slow-as-molasses-to-save-battery hard drive.

I see. There are very few interfaces that won't handle a faster drive. Costs more to do that than just use a regular interface. If that's the case, put a faster drive in there and then change the laptop settings to optimize performance instead of battery life. (I assume we tried that already..... )

gerritv

Gerrit
Why can't it be an M2? Many laptops today have integrated SSD hard drives. Even my flight Sim desktop has an M2 SSD hard drive.

That said, some of the older laptops had proprietary SSDs and you can't upgrade them.
The key phrase in your post is 'today' this is a 2013 laptop and a fairly low spec one at that. The repair video showing how to open this thing up to replace a hd clearly shows a typical 2.5" hard drive, so not M2 format. And it spins at the usual 5400 rpm for laptops.

gerritv

Gerrit
I see. There are very few interfaces that won't handle a faster drive. Costs more to do that than just use a regular interface. If that's the case, put a faster drive in there and then change the laptop settings to optimize performance instead of battery life. (I assume we tried that already..... )
that is what the topic has been about, installing an SSD? Anything is faster than the 5400 rpm orignal drive.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
that is what the topic has been about, installing an SSD? Anything is faster than the 5400 rpm orignal drive.

I see. I've been in and out of the thread with personal stuff dictating how much I can follow. Ya, a 2013 laptop won't have M2 and it won't have USBC. But it might have USB3.

Too bad laptops almost never allow you to add a controller.

So accepting that it's a 2013, it's either IDE or SATA. He will need to find out which. After that he should be able to get an SSD that has an IDE or SATA interface that will fit right in there.

If it has USB3 I'd be tempted to see if it will run fast enough on an external SSD

In any event, I'd sure as heck change the settings to optimize the laptop for speed.

Last edited:
Not sure how it got double posted. I'll fix it.
Ok, I understand much better now about why many upgrades simply won't work.
I'm going to order a proper 2.5" internal ssd, then do a clean install of Windows 10.
I've wanted to completely start fresh, since my kids loaded games on it. Some of them seem to be extremely hard to totally get rid of.
Thanks,
You set me straight and I can proceed now.
Should I do the clean install before I install the new ssd card or after, or does it matter.
Susquatch - I'm way up in Northwestern Alberta. There are tech places around, but they charge crazy amounts due to minimal competition.
Ken

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not sure how it got double posted. I'll fix it.
Ok, I understand much better now about why many upgrades simply won't work.
I'm going to order a proper 2.5" internal ssd, then do a clean install of Windows 10.
I've wanted to completely start fresh, since my kids loaded games on it. Some of them seem to be extremely hard to totally get rid of.
Thanks,
You set me straight and I can proceed now.
Should I do the clean install before I install the new ssd card or after, or does it matter.
Susquatch - I'm way up in Northwestern Alberta. There are tech places around, but they charge crazy amounts due to minimal competition.
Ken

It is WAY easier to do the clean install after installing the new SSD. Doing it before hand will require transferring the data etc.

Most importantly, if you do the install after putting in the drive and something goes wrong you can always just put the old drive back in and pick up where you left off.

Does the machine have a DVD drive? If not, you will have to make a bootable USB thumdrive too. And you may need to change your bios so it will boot from USB or DVD.

gerritv

Gerrit
The process is:
-Download Windows 10 from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/sof...s10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True), follow the section to Create Installation Media, preferably to a USB stick.
-Replace the hard drive in your laptop with the SSD (previously shown video)
-insert USB stick into a slot, power up laptop. If all goes well it will start into the install process. If it says something like No Boot disk found, then you will need to press what ever key it shows on the bottom of your screen when you first turn on the laptop. Usually F1 or Esc. Look around there and set the boot configuration to boot from USB first, then try starting again.

If necessary we can do a phone call when the time comes.

Gerrit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The process is:
-Download Windows 10 from Microsoft (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/sof...s10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True), follow the section to Create Installation Media, preferably to a USB stick.
-Replace the hard drive in your laptop with the SSD (previously shown video)
-insert USB stick into a slot, power up laptop. If all goes well it will start into the install process. If it says something like No Boot disk found, then you will need to press what ever key it shows on the bottom of your screen when you first turn on the laptop. Usually F1 or Esc. Look around there and set the boot configuration to boot from USB first, then try starting again.

If necessary we can do a phone call when the time comes.

Gerrit

Ha! Great! I was gunna volunteer the same support.

Nicely worded @Gerrit.

Two small clarifications.

1. The process Gerrit called "creating installation media" is what I called creating a bootable usb. Same thing - different name. This same method also applies to a CD/DVD. Either one will work.

2. I'd change the settings to boot from the USB or DVD BEFORE actually trying to boot from them. Accessing the bios can be tricky sometimes and it can be unsettling to stare at a machine that's dead in the water. I prefer to change the bios while I have a working OS.

I leave all my computers setup to boot from CD, then USB, then hard drive in that order. The only downside happens when you turn on a machine after forgetting to remove the USBs and CD/DVDs.

Kudos to you for ifferrung to help via phone Gerrit. And good luck @GummyMonster

There are sata ssd available now, I installed on a year ago, Samsung along with their transfer software. Easy peasy. All you need is a usd sata interface cable and a sata power supply (any old power supply will do as long is hooks up to the sata ssd, run software), shutdown swap drives power up and go.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There are sata ssd available now, I installed on a year ago, Samsung along with their transfer software. Easy peasy. All you need is a usd sata interface cable and a sata power supply (any old power supply will do as long is hooks up to the sata ssd, run software), shutdown swap drives power up and go.

@GummyMonster wants a clean install. Hence the process that @gerritv and I both recommended.

I don't know if he needs SATA or IDE. Both are available in SSD. He will know which when he looks inside or runs an inventory program. @gerritv has offered to walk him through the process if he needs help.

@GummyMonster wants a clean install. Hence the process that @gerritv and I both recommended.

I don't know if he needs SATA or IDE. Both are available in SSD. He will know which when he looks inside or runs an inventory program. @gerritv has offered to walk him through the process if he needs help.
My guess if the laptop is within the last 10-12 years sata.

If WIN10 is already installed, why do a clean one if it is running correctly. Slow is caused by blot ware in startup though a SSD because of access speed overcomes this.

As such it is an easy setup just to do a transfer for the easiest installation for the inexperienced.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My guess if the laptop is within the last 10-12 years sata.

If WIN10 is already installed, why do a clean one if it is running correctly. Slow is caused by blot ware in startup though a SSD because of access speed overcomes this.

That's my guess too, but who knows till you know!

It has a history of games. No more needs to be said.

Thanks so much guys.
I'm doing a clean install as a precaution since I'm not skilled enough at this to look through and recognize crap that shouldn't be there. I've tried getting rid of the games and some of them refuse to go for me. Once only the new windows is present. I'll research what I can do to remove the bloat ware and such.
The step by step help is awesome, and Garrit, your offer to help via phone is above and beyond nice.
It's awesome. I guess you're not the rude and unhelpful guy that others have called you on the forum. If I totally get stalled I'll take you up on your offer. I'll work at getting it done on my own first. There's so much info on the net, now that I know what I'm supposed to do, I should have no problems finding a video of articles for a visual walk through the process.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Once only the new windows is present. I'll research what I can do to remove the bloat ware and such.

Don't bother. It would take you ages to work through what to remove. Once all you have is Windows, I'd just get on with install Fusio 360. You can also search around for ways to speed your system. But again, I wouldn't bother. Just do the clean install, install the latest updates, and get on with Fusion!