• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Is windows 10 good for CAD Prusa Slicer, and CNC?

As the title asks.
My 3D printer is almost here, and I'm setting up with Fusion 360 as well. I have a decent laptop for my sole use, and it has windows 10.
I've been away from computers for some time, so I'm relearning their os as well.
Win 10 seems terribly slow to me compared with ios, and I don't know if it's my computer or if Win 10 is just slower.
I'm getting a trusted computer guy to go through and erase anything I'll never use and do anything else to speed it up.
I read today that Linux has become more popular recently, so I'm wondering if I should change my OS or if it's just part of my learning curve "
Any advice is very welcome.
Ken

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't even use a computer much anymore. Almost everything is done on my smartphone. But I'm still the Geeks geek that fixes the geeks problems.

I wouldn't bother cleaning it out. I'd do a clean install. You wouldn't believe how much crap stays on a computer after cleaning it out.

I installed Fusion 360 on a 5 year old gaming laptop after doing a fresh install of windows 10 and it is working ok. I'll prolly only add some memory and a better Cad mouse - still don't know which one to get though.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You really need to check the specifics of the software itself because it varies. Win-7 technically isn't supported anymore so many CAD apps require Win-10. Some apps are Windows only, some PC/Mac. Some apps are essentially browser based so the OS doesn't factor as much (sometimes called cloud based but beware that's a really loose term). Best to check it out thoroughly beforehand on the vendors site & user groups. And there is the hardware requirement side, equally important.

gerritv

Gerrit
Linux was never popular on the desktop, no viable applications with a few exceptions.

Windows 10 is more than capable for Fusion and PrusaSlicer. If you are not using a SSD then that will be the main contributor to speed issues. The other is having a lot of stuff installed, such as Norton, McAffee, Kapersky crapware that you don't need. All of these things chew up memory and compute time adding no value for you. Older laptops typically did not come with a SSD to keep the cost down, they are now inexpensive. Don't need more than 512GB. And you do have at least a 1TB on USB for backups right? :)

I have several Win 10 and 11 machines, all do well with Fusion360, PrusaSlicer. Older I5, newer I7

gerritv

Gerrit
CAD Mouse
There is only 1 option IMO, 3DCOnnexion Space Mouse and Cad mouse combo. Feels a bit wierd using both hands but after a while you can't go back to fiddling with mouse only. Both are well designed ergonomically as well.

I bought the Space Mouse, then later the CAD mouse, buying the kit is noticeably less expensive.

Gerrit

Last edited:
Before I answer this one, couple of questions first, processor (i3, i4, i5, i7 and which model), how much memory? dedicated graphics card? Storage HD or SSD and size.

WIN10 can be great and cause no issues, or it can be a dog (sometimes dead dog) if the wrong software for the above mentioned is used.

Most answers to these important questions can be found on manufacturers websites by looking up your serial number.

I run 3 laptops, 1st is an older gaming laptop, this does my hard stuff, the second is a light touch screen, can handle some light cad stuff, email, word etc, does almost everything I need, the third is my dedicated CNC controller laptop, purpose bought for this task (this one far exceeds the second one in terms of performance, memory and storage.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You really need to check the specifics of the software itself because it varies. Win-7 technically isn't supported anymore so many CAD apps require Win-10. Some apps are Windows only, some PC/Mac. Some apps are essentially browser based so the OS doesn't factor as much (sometimes called cloud based but beware that's a really loose term). Best to check it out thoroughly beforehand on the vendors site & user groups. And there is the hardware requirement side, equally important.

@GummyMonster (the OP) said his software was Fusion 360. Fusion 360 very specifically requires Win 10. Hence my clean install recommendations.

Gerritv - There is only 1 option IMO, 3DCOnnexion Space Mouse and Cad mouse combo.
For that price does it take dictation and draw the piece for you?
I have problems with my hands, so I doubt I'd be able to use one like that.

Hope I've found you the info you need Degen.
I also have this brand new but older external hard drive my wife bought to make a photo library, but here it sits. I have no idea about the technical side of computers, and only have used them with pre made spreadsheets. But I am willing to try and learn as needed to move forward with my venture.
Thanks again for the help and patience with my questions.
Ken

Attachments

• 7A37AA23-E329-4A9E-B47C-E192FBCD4DC9.jpeg
    7A37AA23-E329-4A9E-B47C-E192FBCD4DC9.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 23A04C0D-C15B-4C28-8B87-E01C04B6C622.jpeg
    23A04C0D-C15B-4C28-8B87-E01C04B6C622.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 8D1CDDF1-3192-427D-9E56-A563DC692245.png
    8D1CDDF1-3192-427D-9E56-A563DC692245.png
    1 MB · Views: 9

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There is only 1 option IMO, 3DCOnnexion Space Mouse and Cad mouse combo. Feels a bit wierd using both hands but after a while you can't go back to fiddling with mouse only. Both are well designed ergonomically as well.

I bought the Space Mouse, then later the CAD mouse, buying the kit is noticeably less expensive.

Gerrit

This all looks oddly similar to what I used on dedicated Catia CAE SGI workstations 20 years ago. I think the only major difference is that most of the components (the dial knob & ball) were built into the keyboard. Only the mouse was a separate device.
Most of SGI's hardware was built with psychiatric input to maximize functionality with how our brains work. It's no wonder you like them.

gerritv

Gerrit
The exact reason that I bought the Space and CAD mouse is because I have problems with my hands, both arthritic and the rh thumb was having issues due to using a thumb track ball for too long.
And once you start with 3D cad assemblies, there is a lot of rotation, zooming etc, which is facilitated greatly with the Space mouse in LH. Works in other applications as well to differening extents.

@Susquatch yes I have somewhat fond memories of SGI workstations from the 1990's, medical 3D imaging software work at ISG. Not so fond memories of Sun's mandatory metal mouse pads though , severe joint issues now in rh little finger due to resting on the bl...y stuff.

gerritv

Gerrit
@GummyMonster that is a rather inadequate machine for CAD work, sorry to say. It has a slow cpu (from 2013), slow disk drive (mechanical drive at possible 7500 rpm) , marginal amount of memory, marginal graphics.
It is running Windows 8, not 10 although it will run Windows 10.

If you are short on $$, I would replace the hard drive with a 256gb SSD and install Windows 10. Then see how Fusion360 behaves on it. Might be ok for smallish parts and small assemblies. Certainly better than nothing. fusion360 will remind you that there is a problem with graphics performance but it will run.

I successfully use Fusion360 on a i5-4570T CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz with 16gb memory

Last edited:
Well that's not great news, but I'm not really surprised. It was actually bought for the kids by my mom, so she just took the one that the customer rep at Costco suggested. I did actually install Windows 10 about 2 years ago.
For now I am shy on funds . Can the SSD be external? Or does it need to be installed? Just so I can begin learning about the software.

I have a few things to sell now that the snow is mostly gone, so I will be buying a desktop computer this summer it looks like. I really have no need for a laptop for myself. I'm not up to building my own, so what features should I look for in a pre-made one, or to have put into one?
I imagine that the sky is the limit , but what setup would be decent for this use without getting too crazy, say under $1500. I'd rather spend more and have it be current a little longer. It will be pretty much dedicated for CAD, my 3d printer and hopefully running a CNC mill in the near future. Definitely lots of research on the internet, but that's about it. I'm working towards a small business out of all this hobby learning, and I need to put money where it'll count the most.

And thanks for the info on that fancy mouse. I use a trackball mouse now, but if I'm jumping into this world with both feet I might as well have good equipment to make it easier.

My wife shudders when I ask questions on here...
Thanks everyone that gave advice.
Ken

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
That pc is going to be working hard with fushion 360, i agree with everyone here an ssd is going to be your best cheapest upgrade to have any kind of real chance, if it has an m2 hdd slot, spend the few extra and get an m2 ssd

Edit; 1500$ could imo build a pc for fushion 360 with cash to spare, an i7, 16gb ram, m2 ssd and a half way decent graphics card would do it....all mid range stuff

gerritv

Gerrit
I bought this from Newegg.ca to replace a dead 2010 HP Probook I7 laptop : https://www.newegg.ca/p/1VK-0003-1E1A9 to save me the hassles of building a machine.

Decent machine. Initially fusion360 didn't like the video speed but unless I load the full detailed 1022 lathe model in all its glory, there are no warnings at all. I have the option of adding a beefier video card if ever needed. There is some fan noise if loading it up with work but no too distracting. Runs Win 11 very nicely.

Great benefit is being able to use 3 monitors, only using 2 at present but there is the option to add another.

Don't expect to run a CNC mill off the same machine, for that a bargain basement HP SFF for $120 will do fine with PathPilot or LinuxCNC. You really should not be using that machine for anything else.

Thanks guys.
I'm not going to bother trying to use this old laptop. I don't want to mess around getting a updated ssd and finding out it still won't work properly.
I'm going to research the components you suggested more, so I know what I'm buying and what it actually does.
I've been browsing best buy and such just to see what they have, and they have some refurbished ones that meet the requirements you listed for less than a grand, even a couple on sale for $500-$700. Maybe an option. As long as they can easily be upgraded, then I'd have a starting system.
But time will tell. I'm going to read more on that two handed mouse system and see if it's for me.
All this info is greatly appreciated.
Ken

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@GummyMonster (the OP) said his software was Fusion 360. Fusion 360 very specifically requires Win 10. Hence my clean install recommendations.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if he was committed to F360 or maybe other CAD apps a/p the post title. Anyways, same answer: check the vendor specs.
On that note, I don't run F360 myself but I thought it ran under other OS than just Win-10? This seems to concur? Or maybe that's mode specific? (online/cloud vs offline/PC?)

I decided to attempt to upgrade this old laptop enough that I can start learning Fusion 360, even if I can't render anything but the very basic shapes , etc.
@garritv - You had said adding a 256 ssd could possibly help. I'm looking at the m2 ssd's, and I'm wondering. If I put a larger one in, say 500 gb, would that help at all?
Or is 256gb going to be as good as it gets ?
Ken

gerritv

Gerrit
Hi Ken
256 or 512gb is fine, but it can't be an M2, it should be a Sata, e.g. https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_4230&item_id=145799 This is not a stellar drive but it is at a price where you won't invest much to get a noticeable improvement. I have used Kingston brand as well for the machine running PathPilot as well as my older/smaller PC
Re: size, I have a LOT of stuff on my PC, 3D printing, CAD, software development, photos etc. 512GB ssd, with 150GB still empty. I keep backups/duplicate copies on a 12TB Windows server. Always have backups, because one day you will need them.

An example of how to get at the drive in your laptop: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Acer+Aspire+V5-571+HDD+(Hard+Disk+Drive)+Replacement/33878

Gerrit

Hopefully this will be my last questions.
I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome so to speak.
I found some videos on youtube about installing the ssd, but I found this setup -
And this - https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-Enclo...c1097c&pd_rd_wg=O5aJr&pd_rd_i=B08RVC6F9Y&th=1

It says you can use an adapter to plug into your usb-c port (if I'm understanding properly) to upgrade your hard drive externally.
If I'm totally wrong I apologize, I'm trying to learn all this very quickly.
Ken