• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Is Anyone using CNC at home

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I thought I would share my experience buying this CNC machine from Modern Tool in calgary's foothills industrial. I wandered into Modern Tool one day after work and I instantly really liked the place. I have been to busy Busy Bee Tools a few times but they lack what I am really passionate about, CNC equipment. After having a quick look at the little Syil CNC lathe I was sold. It is a made in Asia machine designed to be used at home. It runs on 220v single phase power, like a dryer or a welding machine. They were more than willing to connect it to my old desktop PC and I brought it home in my little enclosed trailer. I haven't run it more than 40 hours yet but first impressions are good. It is amazing what Mach 3 software can do. I am used to running large industrial machines with controllers like Yasnack, Fanuc, Mazak, Simens, and Haas. I haven't found much this machine can't do yet, except for it lacks the spindle torque for large diameter threading. Most annoyingly, the Mach 3 software doesn't accept g71 or g70. The software makes up for this with fantastic conversational programming that more than makes up for no g71. Overall positive experience. I'll post more as I get more run time in so people can get a better idea of the Syil C6-B's abilities.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Maybe we should add a forum area "request a part quote" or something similar. Any thoughts?

Pretty interesting that a true CNC lathe doesn't include manual controls. I guess it makes sense, haha.

Mphenley

Premium Member
That's why when I end up converting my machine I'll very likely use motors with through axles so I can retain manual functionality. Just have to remember to add a freewheeling function so I can leave the power on to everything without having the motors hold in place.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Maybe we should add a forum area "request a part quote" or something similar. Any thoughts?

Pretty interesting that a true CNC lathe doesn't include manual controls. I guess it makes sense, haha.

Yeah if you set up an area where we can allow non form members explain what they want and form members can post a reply with a proposal that would be brilliant. I think that would be the most useful format. I am thinking of it as a non conventional classified area, possibly groupe it in with equipment sales.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Nice! Looks like about a 10x22? That size is about $2200 at busy bee. Makes the software and motor control worth about $5K. Now you need a cnc mill... As expensive as this stuff is, you can spend lots more on a car. very cool. I think we need to have a meetup at your place so we can see it run!

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Yeah anyone who wants a demo is always welcome over. We can consider a meet up in my garage if there is enough interest.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
As for me buying a CNC mill. I am going to get one but it won't be for another year probably. I am not in a big rush to spend a bunch of money on a CNC mill because in the last 5 years I have logged over 8000 hours setting up and running jobs on 3,4and 5 axis CNC milling machines. I bought the lathe first because I know the least about setting it up. I am still learning allot when I program and set up the 2 axis lathe. The CNC milling machine would be a useful tool to have though.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Yeah I saw that a week ago. I took one look at that old control and thought to my self no thanks. Looks too old to be really good. CNC has come a long way in the last 20 years

Mphenley

Premium Member
If my existing setup hadn't already cost $2000 with the machine and all the tooling, I might have the option of not immediately dying after purchasing that mill.... but as such, it would incur the wrath of wife ;)

I've found some really interesting full machining videos using 5 axis mills... and wondered if it's even worth attempting to add a 5th axis to a home CNC setup. A 4th is certainly do-able with a rotary table, but then including a trunnion table as well would likely decrease the available workspace so much that it wouldn't be effective anymore.