In need of a gear

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
YYC/ BrentH, congrats on the find. I also have a 9" utilathe in need of headstock gears. Mine came out of a school (of hard knocks) and is very noisy. Are the gears in your acquired machine quiet and would you be willing to part with them?
Mike

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
YYC/ BrentH, congrats on the find. I also have a 9" utilathe in need of headstock gears. Mine came out of a school (of hard knocks) and is very noisy. Are the gears in your acquired machine quiet and would you be willing to part with them?
Mike

The only spare gear left from the parts machine is the 64T idler gear.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey there YotaBota,

If you are looking for the three gears that drive the feed, then as YYC says the only one out there is the 64T idler. If you are looking at inside the head stock, then that is mostly complete - however, YYC may be looking at the main spindle? Not sure.

Here is a pic of the inside of the head stock - things look pretty good. A broken pin off the feed direction probably stopped the use of this lathe.

IMG_3111.JPG

The only remaining parts are essentially the head stock as you see in the pic. The rest of the lathe has helped to keep 3 lathes going so far.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The internal gears are what I'm looking for. I think my problem is the pulley gear (20T) and it's mate (48T) on the idler shaft but not sure. The bull gear and it's idler mate may be part of the problem as well. I've had mine apart a couple of times to change bearings and try to isolate the culprits but it's really tough to tell which set of gears are making all the racket.
Can you actually run the machine to see if the gears are quiet?
Mike

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Brent saves the day. My brain is stuck in external drive train mode from missing the external 28T head stock gear.

Way to go Brent!!!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I priced the 20t and the 48t from LeBlond and they actually weren't that horribly priced until you factor in the exchange. The were $75 and $155 plus $24 for shipping to my door. I was surprised because I've read some real horror stories about LeBlonds prices.
YYC have you got your machine running? Is the 28T the shear pin gear?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I priced out an internal feed gear for a LeBlond >3 years ago. I think it was 32t. Anyhoo it was 800$, so it was hobbed here in Calgary for 100$. Don't know by who. Bert found the place. He doesn't remember where. (he's going on 88. I'm glad he remembers anything!)

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey YotaBota,

I cannot really run the machine per say as it it pretty much all in in pieces, some at at YYC's place, some are being shipped out to Virginia and some others are being shipped to Lee and YYC in Alberta in a couple weeks. The bed is resting in my drive way LOL :D

Best I can do is if you let me know the gears you want and I can pull the head apart, take pictures, measure etc and if you want them I can ship them out to you for a very reasonable cost.

Have you checked the bearings for wear? It does not take a lot of slop in them to start causing a rattle. The Timkin Bearing (19) is just like a wheel bearing type bearing and you apply pre-load using Spindle Adjusting Nut (14). Basically tighten up until there is resistance turning the shaft and then slightly back off (1/4 turn or so) until that resistance is gone and the shaft spins free with no end play. The bearing (15) is not great at absorbing axial force and is essentially there for rotational alignment etc. This bearing typically fails before the Timkin one that absorbs the axial loads. When the series 2000 came out they doubled the Timkin bearing for forward and reverse loading (probably due to the wear rates on the back bearing (15)).

The spindle adjusting nut is secured from backing off by a set screw. Under this set screw is supposed to be a small brass dowel to prevent damage to the threads. You can add one by clipping off the end of a brazing rod if yours is missing.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Morning,
The spindle bearings are good. I pulled the spindle and hit the on switch and the noise never changed so one or two or more of the gears is poached. I'm going to take my chances and grab the gears I think I need.
How do we take this off line so I can give you my phone number and info?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Just an update for who ever may be interested. I bought the headstock gears and spindle and all arrived today. After a few hours and different combinations of new and old gears I finally found the right combination to smooth and quieten my machine. Now it doesn't sound like an old jimmy rattling down the road. I'll tuck the rest of the gears under the bench for when/if someone else needs them.
YYC, BrentH - thanks for letting me in on your find.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Who, we really need to thank here is Chickenlights! He is the one who went out of his way to delivered a lathe purchased in Ontario by an Albertan to Brent. And yes, Brent deserves kudo's as well.

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
It has been crazy!

Chicken Lights still has a stand to pick up when he is ready!!

Jolly good show all around! Six lathes running a bit better from the one!

I have the taper attachment ready for trials today and first project will be a #2 morse taper mandril to hold a tailstock for re-machining ;)

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Thanks to Brent, Chicken Lights and YYC for putting this altogether. If I am ever in your areas or your in Regina I owe you at least a coffee.