• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

In need of a gear

John Conroy

Premium Member
Good idea Peter, Standard Modern is still in business and may be able to supply a gear. Like all things Standard Modern it probably won't be cheap though.o_O

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
woah! I said it will wear in if properly profiled after using a 16DP cutter. You can reprofile it very close with emery, and then it will wear in against the steel gear.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Can't believe we pulled this off but we did.

I snagged this https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/...he/1465185138?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It all came down in the matter of hours on the 13th and 14th. Me in Calgary, Brent in Guelph and Chicken Lights passing by Pembroke on his way to a family thanks giving get together.

I need to gather some details before I divulge the whole story, but for now I'll just say Chicken Lights and Brent H ROCK!

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think I have this all sorted out now?

Brent and I have been conversing about our Utilathes for some time now.
Brent had been providing me info regarding the gear and idler bracket I needed and I had been supplying Brent measurements of my taper attachment which he intended to make. On Nov 12, Brent spotted the Kijiji ad for the $300 9" Utilathe parts machine located in Pembroke. It had the parts we both wanted!

I contacted the seller about parting it out and shipping us stuff, but he wasn't keen about that idea.
Brent countered by offering to split the $300 with me and making a 8+ hour return trip to pick the whole machine up.

I contacted the seller stating we would take it and asked for details as to it's location.
The seller indicated it was in Cobden when in reallity it was in Pembroke. First layer of confusion.

About this time I got to thinking hey Chicken Lights prowles Ontario with his big rig perhaps he could help us,
so, I contacted him asking if he passes through Cobden and Guelph on a regular basis. Second layer of confusion, I had confused Brent's location which is Orillia (north of Barrie) with Guelph which is Chicken Lights location.

Hey give me a break, all in all, Kingston, Pembroke, Cobden, Guelph, and Barrie had been mentioned so far, I live in Alberta.

Chicken Lights indicated he didn't pass through Cobden very often, but just happened to be within 2 hours
of the machine and offered to detour and pick it up.

So four of us, me in Calgary, Brent in Orillia, Chicken Lights near Westport, and Tristan the seller in Codben
entered into a furious email exchange trying to organize things that spilled over to 13 Nov.

Come the evening of the 13th it looked like Brent and Chicken Lights were a go for the 14th, but the seller still
hadn't accepted the EMT I had sent him. Yikes, I didn't want to send Chicken Lights on a wild goose chase!!!

The morning of the 14th the seller gave me a thumbs up, which I relayed. I was on pins and needles all that day at
work wondering if it went down or not.

Bottom line is it did, despite all the location confusion, Tristan and I had spawned LOL.

A comment from Chicken Lights:

"Probably one of the least organized, last minute, chaotic runs I’ve been on in a long time. It was fun and amazing that everything worked out the way it did!! Both Brent and I were laughing at how it all turned out! Brent and his family are GREAT people."

A comment from Brent H:

"I live just North of Barrie - no where close to Guelph - Dave and I had a good chuckle about that. LOL - he was able to drive the lathe right past me on the way back (more direct route) and he arrived in time for some turkey soup and fresh bisquets. I threaded some rods for him and pumped his tires up and he was off down the road. It was a neat visit as none of us really “know” each other but Dave is a really nice guy. That was quite the operation of Lathe Quest! Dave has some funny additions as the seller was totally confused for a bit. - LOL All kinds of covert operations."

Brent spend a good part of this week stripping all of the usable parts and prepping them for shipment. I'll be
getting way more than the gear and idler bracket I was after, notably, the entire gear set and idler bracket, a 4 jaw chuck, a drip tray, motor mount, rear gear/pulley cover and other stuff.

As I said before Brent H and Chicken Lights ROCK!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey there YYCHM.

here is the bundle:

B57A7918-787E-45E9-99EC-C6224DCF6150.jpeg
Three boxes
The chuck went from a ball of rust to this :

3D3F7FAA-D824-44F3-B5FD-7C0E061D99F7.jpeg
A bit more polish and it should look great!

once Craig is all finished picking through parts he needs I will have some additional 9 inch Utilathe parts up for grabs. Probably e-bay them and see what we can get for them. If anyone local Ontario needs a lathe stand I have one cheap :

F61035A9-BC06-4FEC-B5A3-C87A0B128816.jpeg
Hope to have Craig’s parts on Santa’s sleigh to Calgary on Monday morning.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I could print one in plastic if I had the right cad model. If you can find that YYC on the internet somewhere we could have a go at printing it.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This is the only image I managed to save from the seller.

taperattachment.jpg

Note the bent and broken handles. Is that a chicken feather I see? Poor machine had been kicked around for sure.

I keep forgetting about this gem.

ThreadingDial.jpg

I scored the threading dial indicator as well as the lantern tool post. Happy Days:)

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
And I scored most of the taper attachment:
17F421EB-9095-46DE-B4C9-D41DA848A599.jpeg

good times all around

Attachments

• 11F51400-D1CF-4B88-B4CE-64EBF119BCCD.jpeg
    11F51400-D1CF-4B88-B4CE-64EBF119BCCD.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ohhhh Hoooo….. look what arrived today.

Package1.JPG

All individually packaged with instructions and notes as to what it is. All manner of goodies there.

Pieces.JPG

I spent the morning dismantling the machine in preparation of installing the drip/chip tray which should be delivered Monday. Phew I need to get some help with this stuff, my back is going to hate me tomorrow.

Bed.JPG

All ready now.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Nice little haul!

Two more packages to be delivered Monday. A 4 jaw chuck with other stuff, and the drip/chip tray and lead screw with half nut. First package contained all the gears I needed and the threading dial I was after. The other stuff in it was gravy.

Happy Days.