In need of a gear

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
OrigGearTrain.jpg

It's the small 28T headstock drive gear depicted in this image. About all that I can tell you about it, is the following:

28 Teeth
Toothed portion is 0.385" wide (deep?).
The boss is 1.0" dia and stands 0.412" proud.
The shaft OD it mates to is 0.562"
The boss is drilled through to accept a shear pin that passes through the drive shaft and has a groove to accept a snap ring to capture the shear pin.

Willing to pay material and time (within reason) should you be able to manufacture such a thing for me.

I have the gear it mates to (which happens to be the same gear it's replacing) if that eliminates some guess work (i.e. the boss configuration, tooth profile etc).

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You don't happen to have a PA for that gear - pressure angle? I may have a cutter for it - I think I have one for 28T and it is the M2 or M2.5. The cheap Chinese cutters are OK for mild steel but trying to cut a gear in 4330 was ultra painful. Cutting a gear takes longer then on a youtube for me but the killer is the setup.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have the gear that the new gear needs to mesh with. Can we determine PA from that?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ah, I see, great link. Pretty sure we are taking 14.5 PA here. It's an older machine.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
While we are at it. Can anyone help me with the idler gear mounting bracket?

I have dxf files for it, if that helps.

Again, time and materials within reason.

Thanks,

Craig

Attachments

• 9 inch Idler bracket.pdf
    77 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Speaking of gears...does anyone know of cheap supplier of gear tooth gauges?
A tooth gauge makes the identification of a gear pretty easy. They seem to be crazy expensive, considering a thread gauge that is of the same basic technology and material is so cheap. https://www.kbctools.ca/CatSearch/1396/gear-tooth-gages
I keep hoping that I will come across a used one that someone has no use for but that hasn't happened yet.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
RobinHood had a look at my gear today (Thanks Rudy). Unfortunately he doesn't have a cutter for it.

The gear appears to be 28T, 18 DP, 14.5 PA.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
If I remember correctly that’s what my Southbend change gears are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnwa

Ultra Member
RDG would be in sterling.
Try this link for JTS. they’re about $50 US.

RDG is pretty good at getting what you need if you contact them. it could take quite a while to get it though. I think they source from India.

you can also try grinding your own single point cutter.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Let's throw this out there for consideration.

RobinHood told me the gear doesn't need to be steel. Synthetic or Aluminum would suffice.

Dabbler tells me a brass gear that is close will wear in over time. RobinHood has a 16DP 28T cutter. Is that close enough?

John, you didn't provide a JTS link in your last post?

Craig