• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

I bought the cheapest Y axis power feed I could find for my milling machine.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So I did the same - for 187 from Ontario I got one for my Y. eBay seller asked me how I like it and I responded with follwing:

The following product deficiencies were noted:
1. There is no speed on the speed control dial - thus one has to guess or add numbers with a marker
2. The screw on extension key-way was poorly milled and thus they key had to be filed
3. the nut provided did not have threads cut properly, had to be re-threaded - also it feels like the hole was made with a metric drill and thread engagement is low - like 50%
4. Any English text is in Chinese-English - is it so hard to translate few sentences on the product itself using proper human translator not google or who knows what?
5. Instructions in addition to having above English problem are not complete, for example they skip installation of limit switches.
6. There are extra parts supplied & longer M6 screws were missing - looks like someone remove some things at semi random from X axis kit and left other things in
7. All other power feeds have a breaker at the front - this one does claim it has safety but "inside" - I sure hope so as I do not want my garage on fire.
8. For some unknown reason there is a cheap plastic dial holder supplied to thread on brass part - why not use standard metal part that machine already has - why make for 20 cents cheap plastic part - all one needed was cut imperial threads in brass vs. metric and supply ... nothing. Would it not be cheaper to supply nothing & just cut imperial?

Few other small issues but above more or less gives the gist of it. Product needs "refinement" - I doubt most changes to make it great would cost much money or even any money. I mean how much does it cost to add molded numbers 1 to 9 on a plastic cover? Does it even add to price? Heck if numbers add 25 cents how about just little dashes for 10c? Heck I would rather heave plastic main body of heavy grade not nice casting if it had numbers on the dial.

Daedaluscan

So this gear/dog combo engages the small drive gear in the unit.
View attachment 12756
If I'm not mistaken, on the version that John has, the small drive gear engages a bevel gear on the shaft of the mill.
I'm very confident that the guts of the two units are identical.
I think it would be pretty simple to make the pictured gear/dog and the associated brackets.
@John Conroy did you take any photos of the drive end of the unit before it went on?
Any Idea where I could source a gear like this? I have an RF30 and an Al99 drive ( I think it came from Busy Bee) with a straight cut pinion. I am having a hard time finding a gear for my x axis feed.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The only picture that I have been able to find anywhere is in post#8 on the first page of this thread.

Ah..... this one.

1632163471909.png

Ya, I've never seen these offered for sale anywhere. You may have to make one. What's wrong with the one you have?

John Conroy

Premium Member
If it's the gear that fits onto the X axis leadscrew, shown with red arrow in the first pic, you might be able to get one from Grizzly Tools.Their G0760 mill is an RF30 clone. Shown as number 248-5 in the manual

as235 power feed.png

g0760 power feed.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Grizzly have it in stock, $45 USD

Yikes.....$60 cad and probably $15 cad shipping. Correct dimensions? They are all kind of different. My RF30 has metric lead screw ends while @David_R8s machine is imperial.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Back when I had similar PF unit on my RF45 mill, the cast aluminum plate cracked. Grizzly was the only vendor I could find offering a replacement part as opposed to a new unit. The cost & shipping may still not be favorable to you, but just thought I'd mention. BTW if you do a search on this forum you'll find a post I did which replaces the that cast aluminum plate that (supposedly) clamps in the mill table pocket. IMO that is a half baked idea that causes all kinds of other issues due to potential misalignment. You might want to consider something similar when the time comes.

Daedaluscan

I think I will be looking for a gear that might work and then I can make the dogs. I was given the power feed with the mill. A DRO is higher on my list of priorities now. As for the mount it looks pretty mickey mouse with all of the weight hanging out there on that casting.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think I will be looking for a gear that might work and then I can make the dogs. I was given the power feed with the mill. A DRO is higher on my list of priorities now. As for the mount it looks pretty mickey mouse with all of the weight hanging out there on that casting.

So you never got the gear with the PF/MILL?