• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

How to upload images to your post.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Since there was some confusion from a new member, I wanted to make a quick how-to for posting images to the forum. (Really quick, haha)
========================================​
First upload your image to the site using this button:
upload-an-image.png

Then insert the image into your content by selecting the size of image you want uploaded:
insert.png

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Neat! I didn't fully understand how I could share images using the image URLs. I'm going to test that here if no one else minds
search

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Okay thanks Josh. I did try to use that button for image URL but no matter how many different hand gestures I tried on my iPad I was not able to get that box to come up. This might just mean that it doesn't work from iPad unless somebody knows. Either way I will try it again some other time. :)

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Okay thanks Josh. I did try to use that button for image URL but no matter how many different hand gestures I tried on my iPad I was not able to get that box to come up. This might just mean that it doesn't work from iPad unless somebody knows. Either way I will try it again some other time. :)
Sounds good, I'll see if I can get my hands on an Ipad to do some testing too.

Actually, if anyone notices functionality not working on their devices, let me know, I have never actually done any cross device / cross browser compatability testing on the site.

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm generally amazed at how well this all works from my phone. Upload images, write, post. From my phone. The whole forum software pack is brilliant.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Update: I found a software I am using to guarantee that images are uploaded right way up, not sideways:

https://savolai.net/software/JPEG-EXIF_autorotate
---> Obvious warning, I did not develop this, and it's open source (not actively being managed), use at own risk, etc. etc.

I've been using it with great success. It basically automatically rotates images and removes the hidden iphone rotation data, so images always upload everywhere right way up.

It adds right click menu items when you click on a folder containing .jpg images:
autorotatejpg.png

When Installing, I recommend using these settings:
autorotate2.png

This means when it's done it will not sit there asking you to "hit any key to close this window", and will automatically regenerate the thumbnails that show in your computer to reflect the actual image rotation. (Helpful if you help your phone sideways, but the phone did not detect that it was sideways before you took the picture.)

For anyone that is having issues with image upload, this is an easy fix you can implement, as I have pretty much given up hope of resolving the sideways images at the forum software level.

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well I looked at the site for that program. I guess that program actually uses another program called jhead to do the work. That program is a command line program eg:
jhead -autorot image.jpg

Would it be easy to add a post processing step to the image upload in xenforo? And basically call that command line above for every image. I'm wondering if it would correctly rotate all photos regardless of orientation- it sounds like it might.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Edit: I'm looking into this. I am not super great with linux command line, but am hopeful I can figure out how to call jhead during upload...

Update, I think I got this working.... By some miracle....

Can you guys upload to test, I am not 100% sure, but my below images uploaded properly?

JW

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Test Sideways Image upload

Sideways
2017-10-04 10.02.04.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-10-04 10.02.09.jpg
    2017-10-04 10.02.09.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
It never struck me to use this software for forum postprocessing, hopefully this worked, that would be a huge thorn in the side, removed, as I truly had given up hope of resolving that issue.

It appears the autorate is also stipping all exif data from jpgs uploaded too, which is great for privacy purposes.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Try two. Two photos with iPhone first upright and second rotated.

Attachments

• IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 5

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
it seems to be working. these test images look ok on my computer and on the iphone. can you do a batch 'update all' command for all pictures to fix the old ones? Assuming the pictures are in a tree of directories. something like brute force:
jhead -autorot *.jpg
jhead -autorot */*.jpg
jhead -autorot */*/*.jpg
etc.

not elegant but might work just fine. Maybe make backups first...

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
It's a good thought. After looking into it, this forum converts all images into a .data format for storage, and live translates that back to .jpg when being used. As such, I do not know how we can edit historical photos with this scripting, as it's all meant for .jpgs.

:(

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That's really weird it does that. There is no extra compression possible so why change the format? Oh well.