• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

How to remove a broken bolt extractor

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I meant small end vs big end of the connecting rod. The small end floats, vs pressed. no need for puller in normal cases. Pop circlip out, pin slides out.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I meant small end vs big end of the connecting rod. The small end floats, vs pressed. no need for puller in normal cases. Pop circlip out, pin slides out.

Ah, I see. Well, both clips are out. Piston won't even rock on the pin let alone allow the pin to slide out. Pin is seized solid in the piston - hence the custom Puller.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
At that point, you're probably looking at splitting the crank to exchange the rod. Any scoring or blackening, she's done. But you may get lucky. no side pressure on the rod, but that pistone is junk.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
About what I figured too. Another reason for the Puller is to avoid putting any side pressure on the rod at the crank. I assume that's a needle bearing but better not to take chances.

Also need to make sure my son is the hero here. Grandpa (actually they call me Father Earth) will be gone soon enough, but their dad (my son) is still a young man at 45.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My grandfather was about 75 when i was 8, and he showed me how to rebuild a 5hp briggs on an old tiller. Made me the man I am, for better or worse i guess. Fixing junk has been life ever since.

My grandfather was about 75 when i was 8, and he showed me how to rebuild a 5hp briggs on an old tiller. Made me the man I am, for better or worse i guess. Fixing junk has been life ever since.
Sounds like we had the same grampa, I even have a brother named Darren....lol:oops:
Mine lived across the street from the regional landfill, a tinkerers paridise. He had a 3rd grade education and taught himself to fix everything from tractors to tv's, farmed most of his life and retired to a lighthouse keeper for a few years before moving across from the dump. I miss the days of watching him fix whatever contraption he had on the go that day.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Don, we definitly had that same grampa! Mine also had 3rd grade but was also one of the smartest men i've ever known. He could and would fix everything. His 3rd grade put my dad through university in UCLA, although my dad made his own cash hustling at my grampas pool hall in Shellbrooke, SK i believe. Maybe thats why I am the way I am?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Mine lived across the street from the regional landfill, a tinkerers paridise. He had a 3rd grade education and taught himself to fix everything from tractors to tv's, farmed most of his life

Lots of philosophical things to say when it comes to grandparents and learnin stuff.

My mom's folks died when she was little so I never knew them.

My dad's dad (my Grampa) and his dad (my great Grampa) settled the farm in Saskatchewan where both my dad and I were born. Neither grandpa had any education at all. But man did they ever know stuff. Everything got fixed and nothing went to waste - NOTHING. I learned enough from them just helping them to fill more than 30 years of schooling ever did.

I learned different skills from my own dad. And I never thought that was right. My grandparents were gone one day and I found myself wishing for a stronger mechanical/electrical relationship with my dad. Not that we didn't get along. We loved to sit and talk about politics and what is all wrong with the world and how to be a better person. It's just that we didn't do stuff together. And he didn't do stuff with my kids either. So I was left to my own to learn from friends and neighbours about what I couldn't learn from my dad after my grandpa was gone.

As a result, I was determined to do a lot with my kids and they are all quite handy. Not at all like my grandpa's, but handy just the same in the modern way.

I love teaching my grandkids things. They all love to come to the farm and they all look forward to learning things the schools don't teach them. Our days are filled with questions, answers, and doin stuff.

At the same time, I know that my kids are handy because of me, not because of my dad. So I try hard not to get between my kids and my grandkids. I let that father/son/daughter be their main learning path. But I am still here when they don't know how to get that pin out of the piston, or why we see green better than any other colour, and they all know that.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@Susquatch said, So I try hard not to get between my kids and my grandkids.

Lesson one, wife and I never interfered in marrages or the raising of children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. We are there to assist and support where and when we can. Bottom line our inter-family relationships are strong and well. What else can one ask.

Bandit

Super User
My grandfather on my mothers side was dead before I was born, on my fathers side I think I was 7 when he died, that rocked my little world. So not much chance of learning there. Some learning from my father, (a lot), when not augueing. Lots of learning from schools and jobs.
As to the engine, seems wrist pin is seized in the piston and in the rod,( piston will not rock). When removing pin with puller, warm up piston first, it does not take much heat, even hot tap water run on the piston for awhile will raise temputure enough to expand piston bosses so most of the pulling will be on the rod.
This was some learning I showed a fellow who came into the shop complaining about the size I ground a crank to. Turned out the crank was in an unheated shop, about -35 and his mic was kept in the house nise and cozy, did not have a standard either. Draw your own conclusions.
Anyway, luck with puller and wrist pin.