• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

How to remove a broken bolt extractor

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know youtube isn't your thing. Joe Pie has a video that may or may not help in your situation.

I watched a bit of the video. That's the method I normally use. But in this case I couldn't see the chamfer so I can't guarantee a good center. That's why I chose to use an extractor. Since the head is gone and there isn't any tension anymore, I figured it would come out like butter. But I screwed up by not considering that it was a left hand screw and broke the extractor. I should have known better.

Anyway, it's out now. So I'm gunna drill it out from the other side as soon as I know the screw size.

Basically, I don't know how the thread and through hole are designed. Once I know what the screw dimensions are, I'll choose the appropriate drill size and make a brass bushing to center that drill deep in the hole, then pull the remaining thread wire out, then chase the threads.

That's the plan - till poop hits the fan again that is......

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That would be first for me! Never done a LHThread Helicoil before that I can remember.
Oh ya I didn't see that it was confirmed as left hand. I wouldn't be surprised if they are available although I've never seen or used one.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Oh ya I didn't see that it was confirmed as left hand. I wouldn't be surprised if they are available although I've never seen or used one.

It's only half confirmed. My son thinks it is. That's prolly why he broke it. But I'm hoping @John Conroy can confirm that and find out what the bolt is.
I'd drill it on the lathe if possible

I should have done that in the first place. I'd bet big bucks the bolt is centered on the cam bearing seat. That would have made it easier to center the drill.

Bandit

Super User
ONLY the hairy dude doesn't like YT videos.. everyone else here loves em... post away
Not really, too many about nothing related to the search, lots could be shortened by an hour. If there was as much effert put into the video as the music and talking, would be good.
No I can't spell.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Not really, too many about nothing related to the search, lots could be shortened by an hour. If there was as much effert put into the video as the music and talking, would be good.
No I can't spell.
To clarify, I'm speaking about people's personally curated lists of machining videos.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
ONLY the hairy dude doesn't like YT videos.. everyone else here loves em... post away

Not really, I know of at least three others. But still just a small minority.

And I agree with @Bandit. If they were short and to the point, with the effort on content instead of suckling me into watching and listening to 30 minutes of garbage, I'd be more likely to watch.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I usually know what you mean, but I'm lost on that one.
I mean that most machining videos posted by members are generally well received by other members here because those links are vetted the way a curator selects only quality films for a movie festival...

otherwise a slew of YT content is just garbage.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I mean that most machining videos posted by members are generally well received by other members here because those links are vetted the way a curator selects only quality films for a movie festival...

otherwise a slew of YT content is just garbage.

I see..... Well I do confess that I'm more willing to give the video a try if a member recommends it. It's way better odds of a decent video.

I’ve heard of alum dissolving taps stuck in aluminum does anyone know what it does to cast iron? I’m curious now.
I've used it to dissolve a tap out of aluminum, I am pretty sure that it will eat cast iron. It was made clear to me that you were to use an aluminum pan as well, as it would eat a steel one. It took about 3-4 days sitting on a rack on the woodstove, the warmer the water, the more Allum you can dissolve into it. Get it too warm, and you have to babysit it so it doesn't boil dry....... Wish that was the first method of removal I had tried, I wouldn't have messed up the start of the threads buggering around with needle nose pliers and a punch and hammer....:rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I may ask a favor of you, check out what this fellow can do. No frills and fluff, just pure fascination.....

I'd watch it just on your recommendation alone. But as a favour, it would be my pleasure even if I hate it...... Here goes......

Maker Mike

Premium Member
I have to admit that I watch alot of videos at 2X speed, especially when I'm just trying to get information out of it and not for entertainment. Takes a bit of getting used to but works.