Tips/Techniques HOUSE OF TOOLS LD 1236G

Tips/Techniques

MooseMeat

Contactor update;

As mentioned above the lathe would take its sweet time shutting off in fwd, sometimes it was instant but most of the time it was in "danger mode" and not shut off immediately. I pulled the forward contactor as seen in the picture, sanded and cleaned them with contact cleaner and now three days later after loosing my mind on the wiring it is all back to normal and shuts off as it should.

A note to the wise, take a shite ton of pictures, if your like me and think electrical is one of those "dark arts" that is best left to the Wizards. I would even go as far as to colour mark some wires, I had an issue with the contractor jumper for the magnets to energize and it was extremely frustrating, I ended up zooming in on one lead (two days later) in my pictures and realized it was in the wrong place. I was also not able to find the proper wiring diagram anywhere, now if the contractors do really "pooch" in the future I have a bit of a clue, as I guarantee I will not be able to get replacements of the same.

If you're careful you can clean them quite easily, mine had metal clips on the sides to open the contactor housing.

Attachments

• IMG_5285.jpg
    IMG_5285.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5277.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 5

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A note to the wise, take a shite ton of pictures, if your like me and think electrical is one of those "dark arts" that is best left to the Wizards. I would even go as far as to colour mark some wires,

I am an electronics guy and yet I still use letter and number wire labels. Easy to make notes and positioned properly, also easy to take pictures.

Gardner Bender 42-035 Wire Marker Booklet, A-Z, 1-90, and Symbols, [Booklet Contains: 1-15 (6/Ea), 16-90 (4/Ea), A-Z (2/Ea), Symbols (2/Ea)] https://a.co/d/9QYUuep

You are lucky you didn't let any magic smoke loose.

MooseMeat

I am an electronics guy and yet I still use letter and number wire labels. Easy to make notes and positioned properly, also easy to take pictures.

Gardner Bender 42-035 Wire Marker Booklet, A-Z, 1-90, and Symbols, [Booklet Contains: 1-15 (6/Ea), 16-90 (4/Ea), A-Z (2/Ea), Symbols (2/Ea)] https://a.co/d/9QYUuep

You are lucky you didn't let any magic smoke loose.
OH, I intentionally left that part out trust me on that, it had a 3 amp fuse, replaced three times and blew the panel breaker twice, arched out the extension plug once, STOP LAUGHING, , it sounds more dramatic than it was, oh, and the breaker attached to the right side of the bottom contactor holds residual energy, got a little tingly twice, STOP LAUGHING.

On a good note I was wearing rubber boots,,,,,,,,,,,,

OH, I intentionally left that part out trust me on that, it had a 3 amp fuse, replaced three times and blew the panel breaker twice, arched out the extension plug once, STOP LAUGHING, , it sounds more dramatic than it was, oh, and the breaker attached to the right side of the bottom contactor holds residual energy, got a little tingly twice, STOP LAUGHING.

On a good note I was wearing rubber boots,,,,,,,,,,,,
..... sorry, can't stop laughing.....you learn faster than I do ..:rolleyes:

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
When I changed mine I made a drawing of terminals and wire numbers, took pics, and it was still hard to get everything in the right places. Wish I would have had that booklet Susquatch has.