• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Horizontal saw $600 - Victoria

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hey @Janger - my saw is used and had a few little things to fix/fit. The shop I got it from has a big conveyor set up and the stop was probably lost. The bolt is pretty tight in the securing hole so it may not have ever been used. It is a circa 2015 model - it was $850. It cuts very well and the vice lock is great!

What blades are you using?

$850! A bargain!

I’m using the stock blade that came with it but I have some others 6 tpi and 12 ready to go too.

Hacker

Super User
Nice score!! The mitre base on that is a nice feature.
I had to spend hours cleaning mine and setting up so it would cut straight. Not sure what they used for cutting fluid on mine but there was a couple of centimetres of sludge in the tank that was awful smelling stuff.
I find that the saw cuts much better with cutting fluid.

Hacker

Super User
I am using the Mobilcut 100 on the saw. The nice thing about it is that the stuff that doesn't end back in the tank evaporates and makes cleanup a bit easier.
It also seems to work well on the lathe and milling machine. At present I am experimenting with it and just using a spray bottle to apply it. I think that I will build a spray system that can be used on the lathe and mill if this works out.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am using the Mobilcut 100 on the saw. The nice thing about it is that the stuff that doesn't end back in the tank evaporates and makes cleanup a bit easier.
It also seems to work well on the lathe and milling machine. At present I am experimenting with it and just using a spray bottle to apply it. I think that I will build a spray system that can be used on the lathe and mill if this works out.

Ive posted this before.

My favorite cutting fluid on the mill and lathe is Viper's Venom. I apply it with a dropper or an oil can. It resists slinging, spreads easily, and lasts for several passes.

You can get it from The Reamer Guy in BC.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Here you go

Post in thread 'Where can I buy “Sticky Cutting Lubricants”?' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...buy-sticky-cutting-lubricants.5386/post-78156
Thanks. Email sent.

EDIT: Instead of a reply, I got this:
Please direct all email correspondence to our new email: bighorngunparts@gmail.com and update all relevant contact information. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you,
Gary & Ebony Eakin

Bighorn Sales

(250) 845-2201
And the reply via the new email address:
Viper venom quadrupled in price in Canada so I quit buying it . Lots of other good oils , just need high chlorine and high sulphur. Hard to find in consumer packaging .
We only do chamber reamers not chucking reamers , get those and the fluid from KBC tools you can pick your quality /price
Thanks for Asking

Gary Eakin
Bighorn Sales
250-845-2201

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks. Email sent.

EDIT: Instead of a reply, I got this:

Thanks, I'll update my contact info for him.

Just so you know, vipers venom is widely used in the gunsmithing world. That is Gary Eaken's primary business. So the new email makes sense. If you don't hear back, let me know and I'll call Gary or Ebony to make sure they are still in business and still ok.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks, I'll update my contact info for him.

Just so you know, vipers venom is widely used in the gunsmithing world. That is Gary Eaken's primary business. So the new email makes sense. If you don't hear back, let me know and I'll call Gary or Ebony to make sure they are still in business and still ok.
Thanks, see new info above.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks, see new info above.

Well that sucks! I love that stuff!

I will have to find another source.

I know you can get it on Amazon.com in the USA, but I doubt they will ship to Canada. I can always use another jug so will try to order from the USA and see what happens.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That didn't work. Not available to ship to Canada.

Can't find another Canadian supplier.

But it is available on eBay, Brownells, Pacific Tool and Gauge, Grizzly, and a dozen others. Surely one will ship to Canada......

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
That didn't work. Not available to ship to Canada.

Can't find another Canadian supplier.

But it is available on eBay, Brownells, Pacific Tool and Gauge, Grizzly, and a dozen others. Surely one will ship to Canada......
It looks like LittleMachineShop will ship it to Canada in small (quart) quantities. Shipping costs could be a deal-killer?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It looks like LittleMachineShop will ship it to Canada in small (quart) quantities. Shipping costs could be a deal-killer?

I can tell you this. I like that stuff sooooo much that shipping costs are unlikely to be a deal killer for me! It really is that awesome. I can't begin to imagine turning stainless without it.

I'll check out Little Machine Shop today.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I can tell you this. I like that stuff sooooo much that shipping costs are unlikely to be a deal killer for me! It really is that awesome. I can't begin to imagine turning stainless without it.

That's good to know. I paid quite a lot for a small bottle of AnchorLube based on internet praise, and it is definitely not very wonderful for me. Much the same with BoeLube, so I'm getting a bit wary. :) But I'm not working with stainless, just 'mystery steel', 1018, 12L14, aluminum, brass and (silicon) bronze so far. All pretty easy stuff compared to stainless, I think.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's good to know. I paid quite a lot for a small bottle of AnchorLube based on internet praise, and it is definitely not very wonderful for me. Much the same with BoeLube, so I'm getting a bit wary. :) But I'm not working with stainless, just 'mystery steel', 1018, 12L14, aluminum, brass and (silicon) bronze so far. All pretty easy stuff compared to stainless, I think.

I generally don't worry too much about what I use for mystery steel. If it works, it works. If not, I use the venom.

Since Gary doesn't carry the venom anymore, my venom just increased its value by an order of magnitude. If I can't get any venom elsewhere, I'll prolly get something else for most of my work and reserve my remaining venom for critical work on stainless. It really sucks to look at my current supply and realize it may be the last of its kind in my shop......

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
, I'll prolly get something else for most of my work and reserve my remaining venom for critical work on stainless.
BTW, I first heard about BoeLube from a local machinist who works mostly with stainless, doing marine work. So it might be worth a look for you. And shipping isn't an issue, since it's sold by AircraftSpruceCanada. I'm still looking for that miracle substance that makes cutting on the lathe perfect, no matter how many mstakes I make with machine and tool rigidity, feed speeds, etc. ! :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
BTW, I first heard about BoeLube from a local machinist who works mostly with stainless, doing marine work. So it might be worth a look for you. And shipping isn't an issue, since it's sold by AircraftSpruceCanada. I'm still looking for that miracle substance that makes cutting on the lathe perfect, no matter how many mstakes I make with machine and tool rigidity, feed speeds, etc. ! :)

I'll look into Boelube.

Ya, if only a miracle lube like that really did exist!