Horizontal saw $600 - Victoria

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Just was in Harbour Freight and the saw is US$1299.00 we are getting soaked in Canada.
About Chinese machines: I know nothing about metal cutting saws, but in the 'mini lathe' 7x lathe world there's a big difference between "the same lathe" from different sellers. Harbor Freight (and Vevor) are considered to be at the bottom of the barrel as far as quality control. That said, almost all the 7x lathes are 'lathe kits suitable for modification' so for many users it doesn't make a difference. Looking at small Sieg milling machines, I don't think any of the US sellers are cheaper than BusyBee at $1000CAD. But yeah, I wish HarborFreight and Grizzly were both here in Victoria- with their US pricing! :)

I have the King Version and considered the BB version, I have also seen the PA version along with the higher end one sold at KBC. They are all the same casting and mechanism, just one has a little more bondo to finish it off to give it that spit and polish look.

Little update, Bb and Grizzly are brothers, the younger one being Grizzly. How did BB start to get machines for the younger brother who hunted (go figure Grizzly). A little difference in business ideas lead to a split and so the story goes. It is my understanding that the kids of both are running the businesses now and BB should be slowly changing to a more Grizzly type support and standard of product selection. Hence as I've said earlier the same machines, just optioned differently for the different distributors/vendors.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hence as I've said earlier the same machines, just optioned differently for the different distributors/vendors.

Hence as I've said earlier. Very different machines with similar bones...... ! ;)

Sorry @Degen, Devil made me say that! :p

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Little update, Bb and Grizzly are brothers, the younger one being Grizzly.
The better BB machines are similar to the Grizzly ones from what I see. BB selections are much reduced and prices often higher, compared to Grizzly. And, as you imply, BB service and support have a pretty poor reputation vs Grizzly.
Harbor Freight is a whole 'nother thing. :) A wise person once advised me: "Don't buy anything that spins from Harbor Freight!".

The better BB machines are similar to the Grizzly ones from what I see. BB selections are much reduced and prices often higher, compared to Grizzly. And, as you imply, BB service and support have a pretty poor reputation vs Grizzly.
Harbor Freight is a whole 'nother thing. :) A wise person once advised me: "Don't buy anything that spins from Harbor Freight!".
I've purchase a fair amount of tools from HF and can say done correctly the products are amazing in terms of performance, far exceeding the tools they are cloned from at prices that allow you to spares for several lifetimes and still have money left over.

BUT to be fair you need to understand what is good and to be avoided.

Their new business model has gone upscale (at least finish wise) with prices to match unfortunately making the choice more difficult and definitely harder to digest if it is junk.

To date of all the tools I've bought at HF only the simple allen keys sucked beyond belief, the rest far surpassed expectations.