• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hobby machine shop for sale, $19,999, Norfolk County, ON

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If memory serves, (some?) plants can be brought across the border but must be bare root.

Or dried or something - it has to deal with soil.

Same deal with some fruits - especially fruits made in US like oranges... some vegies made in Canada are ok, like potatoes. Strange rules.

mickeyf

Apart from the regional price differences.... I don't see most hobbyists buying, or interested in buying a complete shop. Almost by definition a hobbyist already has a lathe of some sort, and likely also a mill or at least a mill drill. Unless they wanted to take on reselling the machines they couldn't use/didn't want, it would just be a big headache.

wmetfab

Why so hard on this guy?

Thats his ask, he might get an offer of 18 or 20 and take that.

Could be true worth if the machines are in decent shape.
Theres probably 5-7k worth of smalls, bits cutters, chucks and so on shown. Whats in the tool chest? There could be 3 k of measuring insturments

The machines are good names, not chinese save for the saw, and at the end of the day he'll probably throw in a whole bunch more stuff not shown to clean up

When i sold my Voest it was worth every penny of the 10k alone came with a 4 jaw, face plate taper attatchment and steady.
As well I threw in a couple thousand worth of tooling and bronze turning stock.

Be kind hey?

wmetfab

I just sent a msg to this guy asking for more info, more pics. His name is Mac
He has 24 other listings including parts for logan and south bend

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If there are 3k in measuring instruments and 7k in bits and he did not take pictures of them - then I do not think he is the best seller. We cannot put a price on things that are not shown.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@wmetfab I have presided over the sale of 2 tool and die shops and have been buying and selling used equipment for over 40 years. I include these comments to help educate the newer members about actual values of machinery.

If I have offended you, I am truly sorry.

Bert's complete tool and die shop, with a 9X49 mill and a LeBlond 15X60, A South Bend 9a in like new condition, Mitutoyo and Interrapid metrology, surface plate in new condition and all the secondary tools fetched under 18,000$ all in. I got him at or above ask for everything in the shop, except for his surface grinder, so he sold it through Modern tool for 800$.

The seller in Ontario, in a much lower price point market has machines far inferior to Bert's shop machines..

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
When i sold my Voest it was worth every penny of the 10k alone came with a 4 jaw, face plate taper attatchment and steady.
As well I threw in a couple thousand worth of tooling and bronze turning stock.
Oh WOW ! My first lathe was a 17" Voest ! Nice lathe but it didn't take long for it to do a faceplant on my basement floor . Almost killed the cat and still have the cracks down the basement floor . :D I sold the Voest , Bridgeport , 80 gallon Quincy , bead blaster , Kalamazoo band saw , 10HP rotary phase converter + whatever else was down there for $6500 . This was back in the early 90s .

wmetfab

@wmetfab I have presided over the sale of 2 tool and die shops and have been buying and selling used equipment for over 40 years. I include these comments to help educate the newer members about actual values of machinery.

If I have offended you, I am truly sorry.

Bert's complete tool and die shop, with a 9X49 mill and a LeBlond 15X60, A South Bend 9a in like new condition, Mitutoyo and Interrapid metrology, surface plate in new condition and all the secondary tools fetched under 18,000$ all in. I got him at or above ask for everything in the shop, except for his surface grinder, so he sold it through Modern tool for 800$.

The seller in Ontario, in a much lower price point market has machines far inferior to Bert's shop machines..
Hey guys, im not offended at all, no worries.
I respect your expertise

I contacted the vendor and he's unwavering on his 25k ask and also unwilling to provide any futher information other than "too much to list".
So there it is, best of luck to him

I have also been buying and selling shop and industrial equipment for 40+ yrs.

As a factory dealer, I sold and installed 10+ million worth of ag related machinery in the 9 yrs from 2011 to 2020 before I retired.

wmetfab

Oh WOW ! My first lathe was a 17" Voest ! Nice lathe but it didn't take long for it to do a faceplant on my basement floor . Almost killed the cat and still have the cracks down the basement floor . :D I sold the Voest , Bridgeport , 80 gallon Quincy , bead blaster , Kalamazoo band saw , 10HP rotary phase converter + whatever else was down there for $6500 . This was back in the early 90s .
I bolted leveled and grouted mine to the concrete. Forget the lathe thank god the cat was ok!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As a factory dealer, I sold and installed 10+ million worth of ag related machinery in the 9 yrs from 2011 to 2020 before I retired.

Lotta farmers on here including me. What kind of Ag related machinery?

One of the things I like about this forum is the breadth of secondary knowledge. If you can think of a question, you get answers that are coloured by a huge diversity of career and background knowledge and experience.

wmetfab

Lotta farmers on here including me. What kind of Ag related machinery?

One of the things I like about this forum is the breadth of secondary knowledge. If you can think of a question, you get answers that are coloured by a huge diversity of career and background knowledge and experience.
Good morning, :)
I agree with you Susq, no one person has all the knowledge, I appreciate that Colaborative experience is the best way.

This is what i did. It was the best job I ever had, The best part of it was working with the growers, and going out on the land. I sold, imported and installed just shy of 200 machines and relocated about 20 more

I had a small vinyard as well, I grew and sold ultra premium white wine grapes. They were very much in demand

These 2 were part time jobs, both were very lucrative. It was very hard work and stressful.
In the winters I hopped on my snowboard.
All of it came to an abrupt end in 2020

jorogi

Or dried or something - it has to deal with soil.

Same deal with some fruits - especially fruits made in US like oranges... some vegies made in Canada are ok, like potatoes. Strange rules.
Last time I traveled into the Washington state they confiscated my unopened 10 pound bag of potatoes. Ironically they were very clearly labeled as Washington grown.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Last time I traveled into the Washington state they confiscated my unopened 10 pound bag of potatoes. Ironically they were very clearly labeled as Washington grown.

You cannot bring US grown stuff back to the US - like oranges - you can however, bring Canadian grown stuff in many cases - so if potatoes were labelled "Grown in PEI" they should be OK.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Why so hard on this guy?

Yeah, nobody wants to pummel him into the dirt. I think its more being hard on his expectations, maybe he's a saint of a guy. otoh, by how little or great an effort he made, he determined the reaction.

Selling off a complete shop? Probably a big challenge unless you deeply discount it. My logic is that the only guy interested in buying a complete shop is they guy with nothing, the rank beginner. That is not someone usually ready to spend 20,000 (little do they know lol). If you want max dollars, you have piecemeal it out: auction, ebay, kijiji etc

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
If you want max dollars, you have piecemeal it out:
With Burt's shop we sold it off piece by piece. With Gurpreet's shop we sold 75% of the small stuff of by the piece, but the big machines we had to sell off at a deep discount all together. The mill was a 7 HP 12"X 60 BP style, surface grinder 12"X30", Hass VF2, EDM die sinker (70s vintage) etc. Even the bandsaw wouldn't sell - a 3ph 16X9 Carolina.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I would auction off a shop if I don't want the hassle of selling it. With many items you can get a discount on seller fees. I would guess you get better price that way than going for uber deep discount trying to sell as a package.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Buying an entire shop at once gets you right at the pointy of of making stuff right off the bat. Who want's that? Where the fun in just being able to make something that you desire without first having to keep a close eye on the classifieds for weeks/months/years for the right machines for great deals, then spend another few weeks/months/years making support tooling and special fixtures etc......I mean, I guess that would be ok for some.....

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
lol, of course it makes a lot of sense with the benefit of our perspective ...... but I speculate its a pretty rare dude who's going to go "this seems kind of interesting, I might like this,. let's drop 20,000 and find out". Naw, death by a thousands cuts is the preferred entry.

Kind of too bad as there is lots of value in the collection, like you point out. years of piecing it together. (although you can never realize that value except in use)