• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hobby machine shop for sale, $19,999, Norfolk County, ON

Tecnico

(Dave)
Curious, if you look at his other ads he’s offering misc shop tools and machining services so is this shop set of tools a flip?

D :cool:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
No way too high for Alberta. I counted 12 - 13k total using AB pricing. So maybe 10k+ for the whole set. Unless he did not take pictures of some nice stuff.

This is looking at the "good price" for items" - Maybe I would list the whole set for say 15k in AB and see what happens with room to come down.

The Calgary flipper guy for sure would list this set for 20k in AB or more.

Also, as Dabbler said, if this is 20k our shops are well over 100k or 200k or even 300k ;)

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
My guess is that it's basically supply and demand multiplied by a distance factor. Lots of demand, not much supply, all way too far away.
If I remember correctly , I paid like $37 for a pair of Channel Locks in Calgary at Canadian Tire . Highway robbery came to mind . I know I have 200 pairs down here at least ! Once again , how to get tools up to my son ? I want him to have a full set but what the hell would it cost to deliver them ?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Why is Calgary so high on prices ? :eek:

There is almost no "rust belt" machine availability. Very limited industrial base centered around oil - and given oil still flows most of this did not disintegrate.

In ON and area relatively lots of industry that in the last few decades disintegrated. This opened flood gates of used machinery that flooded the market.

Calgary is also far from ON so distance ensures cheap ON machinery does not easily make it to AB. Essentially AB machinery is ON + transport.

Most new machinery and standard tooling are same price in AB and ON, heck AB can be seen as cheaper as taxes are lower.

Jswain

Joe
If I remember correctly , I paid like $37 for a pair of Channel Locks in Calgary at Canadian Tire . Highway robbery came to mind . I know I have 200 pairs down here at least ! Once again , how to get tools up to my son ? I want him to have a full set but what the hell would it cost to deliver them ?
Right? Had I of known I would have purchased more channel lock pliers years ago(because I love them and have a drawer full). But when they are 40 bucks a pop I tend to pick them up then put them right back down.

Good thing they last a long time and I realistically probably have a everything I need

trlvn

Ultra Member
I suppose someone, somewhere, sometime has bought a shop this way but it just seem highly improbable that a buyer is going to come along and take the whole package. The only scenario I can think of is where someone had to sell their shop before moving long distance (like overseas). If the offered shop really meshes with what the buyer wants to do and the space they have available (two big ifs), then it would an opportunity to get everything all at once. This buyer would be in a pretty strong negotiating position since it is likely that the only competition would be 'flippers' who would only offer 'wholesale' prices so they can turn around and sell the parts at 'retail'.

Anybody trying to sell this way is pretty much shooting their foot off, IMHO.

Craig

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I suppose someone, somewhere, sometime has bought a shop this way but it just seem highly improbable that a buyer is going to come along and take the whole package. The only scenario I can think of is where someone had to sell their shop before moving long distance (like overseas). If the offered shop really meshes with what the buyer wants to do and the space they have available (two big ifs), then it would an opportunity to get everything all at once. This buyer would be in a pretty strong negotiating position since it is likely that the only competition would be 'flippers' who would only offer 'wholesale' prices so they can turn around and sell the parts at 'retail'.

Anybody trying to sell this way is pretty much shooting their foot off, IMHO.

Craig

That is correct - you would need steep discount to sell whole shop. Heck, may be better to auction this stuff off.... its just lazy approach by someone. Or maybe someone who does not want to sell, but pretends to want to sell.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Interested in knowing what that KERRY 13"x24' lathe would be worth as shown in the photo.

Anyone have any ideas on this, comments welcome.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Interested in knowing what that KERRY 13"x24' lathe would be worth as shown in the photo.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Its an older lathe - you can see it has older nose not D style but L.

Recently someone sold older 12x36 lathe in Calgary - it was listed at reasonable 2500.

New Chinese 13x24 is around ... https://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-lathe-600mm-with-stand.html so 3700 CAD.

Ignoring condition and saying its great excellent, adding some $ for quick gear box and say QCTP assuming it comes with two chucks, face plate, follow / steady rest, drill chuck, live center, at least 5 tool holders for QCTP I say somewhere under $3000 in AB.

Note BB 13x24 (my old 089 repainted) comes with two chucks, face plate, dead center, drill chuck, steady and follow rests - if I remember correctly.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Last year August I drove up to Calgary . I had a bunch of Aloris CXA holders and few other machinist items for Dabbler . I also had a very large box filled with tools . They looked at the tools at the border alright . I let them know the tools were mine and they traveled with me in case of a breakdown , which they were . Didn't have an issue . They did get me for $90 something for bringing in a large TV as his moving in present . What's from me bringing up tools this year the same way ? They're my personal tools for traveling .................................just in case I have to do some machining on the way . ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Last year August I drove up to Calgary . I had a bunch of Aloris CXA holders and few other machinist items for Dabbler . I also had a very large box filled with tools . They looked at the tools at the border alright . I let them know the tools were mine and they traveled with me in case of a breakdown , which they were . Didn't have an issue . They did get me for $90 something for bringing in a large TV as his moving in present . What's from me bringing up tools this year the same way ? They're my personal tools for traveling .................................just in case I have to do some machining on the way . ;)

Let me put it this way, I moved form ON via US twice with over two tons of household stuff... 2 tons each time... lots of stuff.

No issues - at the border I present a list of items I am transiting - they stamp the list, back in AB crossing I present the list, they take a quick look and let me go.

So if you are moving tools via US for say Dabbler, just declare them at the border - show a list, get it stamped, drive through US, go to AB - re-enter, show list and no need to worry about it.

Exceptions are things like plants - need to go through Canada.

Its 100% legal to transit through US with goods starting in Canada and ending in Canada - as long as such goods are legal to enter US.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Tom Kitta - @mmcmdl is starting from a US destination. This changes everything.

@mmcmdl one way is to bring tools that you can rightly intend to use to help him 'fix up' his condo. They can be declared that way. You can say you are getting no income from this activity, as he is your son, in fact you are paying for materials. An agent will try to get you to estimate the costs if a contractor were to do the work (it is a trap). You just say that your son doesn't have the money for renos, and you are doing it because he cannot afford it. Then refuse to estimate, based on "you don't know what work you are going to do".

You still need to return with tools, as they can check. (If the border guard is a s**t, then they flag your license, with a note on file about the tools) Only once have I heard of them photographing the tools for later comparison. The border agency isn't really caring (much) about gifts from a father to a son. They are trying to determine if you are going to resell them in Canada, for which GST is due. (Like Kennedy tool boxes (!!))

When you are departing Canada, normally you aren't stopped anyway - unless there is a flag on file.

Last edited: