Hi from Kitchener, ON

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ouch. Ok then. I never got that impression.

So tell us then. What would you do if you were given the chance to do the whole thing over again?

Build a garage and plunk a Bridgeport in it :p The mini was a compromise due to me being stuck working in my limited space basement shop. It also started out as the companion to my mini-lathe, but I soon realized I wanted something bigger and better. Both machines have since been upgraded.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My impression was that @LenVW is interested in an RF30 class (round column, circa 1.5 HP) whereas the machines with the failing plastic gears are RF45-type (mini mill with square column and .75 HP or less). I don't think BusyBee even offers an RF30-class machine at this time. Mine is a 2008 vintage.

King Canada's PDM-30 is an RF30 style machine, $2,700 at KBC:
6-125-030.jpg

Craig

That looks like it has a lot in common with my own round column mill/drill. But mega dollars. I didn't have the impression anybody wanted to spend that kind of coin. A good used one would probably still be 2 grand. My BP Clone is looking better by the minute.

gmihovics

Garrett
My impression was that @LenVW is interested in an RF30 class (round column, circa 1.5 HP) whereas the machines with the failing plastic gears are RF45-type (mini mill with square column and .75 HP or less). I don't think BusyBee even offers an RF30-class machine at this time. Mine is a 2008 vintage.

6-125-030.jpg

Craig
if that's the case, there is a craftex rf30 clone up on Facebook marketplace near me, about an hour from @LenVW

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member

6-125-030.jpg

Craig
I am still deciding on what might work well for me. The 3/4hp King Canada KC-15VS looks the more favourable choice right now, but, I still have time to check other sources of NEW and USED machines.

LenVW

Premium Member
I'm kind of with you, I would want to see if I could get it for 700-750 but what do I know lol I'm a newbie. I just know that this model has the smaller table compared to the x2d and does indeed have plastic gears on the headstock and drive. I can get metal gears and a belt drive kit from little machine shop and I can even get the larger table with fixed z column if I wanted to to basically upgrade it to the x2d.

if I factor in the price of the gears, assuming they have seen abused which I think is likely, I would want to try and offset that repair cost.

I'm actually trying to find a way to bypass the spending embargo :D and see if I can't snap it up if @LenVW isn't interested.
Go for it.
I do not want to start a bidding war with a fellow member.
I would find out how long he has had it and why he selling it.
It looks to be fairly new.

LenVW

Premium Member
The mini mill is a Princess Auto unit (less than 1/2hp).
The owner seems to want more then the original price.

I may go look at it this weekend because it is a short drive away, but, I think it is kind of tiny.

LenVW

Premium Member
Ok, he was not going to move from the $875.
And said he bought it ‘used’ three years ago.
Princess Auto had them on sale in 2015 for $690.
It is only a little mill ?!?

gmihovics

Garrett
glad I didn't end up driving out to see it, I wouldn't pay the 875 after researching the issue with that mill.

It is only a little mill ?!?

yes, those mills are very small, they only have like 5 inches of y travel. you can upgrade the table and z column to make it more rigid and have more x/y travel but then you are paying several hundred plus shipping to do so. all the upgrades to make it a decent little mill add up to the same cost of a used full-size mill in the end.

LenVW

Premium Member
I talked to the seller today, it turns out he is retiring up to Northern Ontario. He said he got lucky and a guy came up with the $875 yesterday, no questions. We had similar career experiences and were both in Stratford thru the 1980s and 1990s.
I guess my search for a nice desktop mill continues.

LenVW

Premium Member
And welcome from Brampton Ontario! John.
John,
I just looked at the photo closer, did you machine an AVRO Arrow from a chunk of metal ?
I was up to the Carquest on Rutherford Road in Brampton on Tuesday.

LenVW

Premium Member
Ok, I was just trying to reach out to a member that I travel close to on my business trips during the week. I work PT for a Carquest affiliate in Cambridge and I am into Brampton on Tuesdays and Friday to solve supply issues.

Oldarm

John
John,
I just looked at the photo closer, did you machine an AVRO Arrow from a chunk of metal ?
I was up to the Carquest on Rutherford Road in Brampton on Tuesday.
Hello Len,
The Arrows, like my other work are diecastings (PM). They start life as a "soft" model or pattern then a sand casting, then an aluminum die built from that. The final castings are in aluminum or one of the zinc/aluminum alloys. The dies are cast to size and never see a mill or machine tool (drill press excepted!) Yes, I'm still active! We just like to hide I guess. I'll attach a couple of snaps to show a bit of what I am up to currently.
If you were on Rutherford road the other day you were just two or three minutes away from my little workshop!

Attachments

• P1180951.JPG
    P1180951.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 6
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    545.2 KB · Views: 6