• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hi from Kitchener, ON

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ouch. Ok then. I never got that impression.

So tell us then. What would you do if you were given the chance to do the whole thing over again?

Build a garage and plunk a Bridgeport in it :p The mini was a compromise due to me being stuck working in my limited space basement shop. It also started out as the companion to my mini-lathe, but I soon realized I wanted something bigger and better. Both machines have since been upgraded.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My impression was that @LenVW is interested in an RF30 class (round column, circa 1.5 HP) whereas the machines with the failing plastic gears are RF45-type (mini mill with square column and .75 HP or less). I don't think BusyBee even offers an RF30-class machine at this time. Mine is a 2008 vintage.

King Canada's PDM-30 is an RF30 style machine, $2,700 at KBC:
6-125-030.jpg

Craig

That looks like it has a lot in common with my own round column mill/drill. But mega dollars. I didn't have the impression anybody wanted to spend that kind of coin. A good used one would probably still be 2 grand. My BP Clone is looking better by the minute.

gmihovics

Garrett
My impression was that @LenVW is interested in an RF30 class (round column, circa 1.5 HP) whereas the machines with the failing plastic gears are RF45-type (mini mill with square column and .75 HP or less). I don't think BusyBee even offers an RF30-class machine at this time. Mine is a 2008 vintage.

6-125-030.jpg

Craig
if that's the case, there is a craftex rf30 clone up on Facebook marketplace near me, about an hour from @LenVW

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member

6-125-030.jpg

Craig
I am still deciding on what might work well for me. The 3/4hp King Canada KC-15VS looks the more favourable choice right now, but, I still have time to check other sources of NEW and USED machines.

LenVW

Premium Member
I'm kind of with you, I would want to see if I could get it for 700-750 but what do I know lol I'm a newbie. I just know that this model has the smaller table compared to the x2d and does indeed have plastic gears on the headstock and drive. I can get metal gears and a belt drive kit from little machine shop and I can even get the larger table with fixed z column if I wanted to to basically upgrade it to the x2d.

if I factor in the price of the gears, assuming they have seen abused which I think is likely, I would want to try and offset that repair cost.

I'm actually trying to find a way to bypass the spending embargo :D and see if I can't snap it up if @LenVW isn't interested.
Go for it.
I do not want to start a bidding war with a fellow member.
I would find out how long he has had it and why he selling it.
It looks to be fairly new.

LenVW

Premium Member
The mini mill is a Princess Auto unit (less than 1/2hp).
The owner seems to want more then the original price.

I may go look at it this weekend because it is a short drive away, but, I think it is kind of tiny.

LenVW

Premium Member
Ok, he was not going to move from the $875.
And said he bought it ‘used’ three years ago.
Princess Auto had them on sale in 2015 for $690.
It is only a little mill ?!?

gmihovics

Garrett
glad I didn't end up driving out to see it, I wouldn't pay the 875 after researching the issue with that mill.

It is only a little mill ?!?

yes, those mills are very small, they only have like 5 inches of y travel. you can upgrade the table and z column to make it more rigid and have more x/y travel but then you are paying several hundred plus shipping to do so. all the upgrades to make it a decent little mill add up to the same cost of a used full-size mill in the end.

LenVW

Premium Member
I talked to the seller today, it turns out he is retiring up to Northern Ontario. He said he got lucky and a guy came up with the $875 yesterday, no questions. We had similar career experiences and were both in Stratford thru the 1980s and 1990s.
I guess my search for a nice desktop mill continues.

LenVW

Premium Member
And welcome from Brampton Ontario! John.
John,
I just looked at the photo closer, did you machine an AVRO Arrow from a chunk of metal ?
I was up to the Carquest on Rutherford Road in Brampton on Tuesday.

LenVW

Premium Member
Ok, I was just trying to reach out to a member that I travel close to on my business trips during the week. I work PT for a Carquest affiliate in Cambridge and I am into Brampton on Tuesdays and Friday to solve supply issues.

Oldarm

John
John,
I just looked at the photo closer, did you machine an AVRO Arrow from a chunk of metal ?
I was up to the Carquest on Rutherford Road in Brampton on Tuesday.
Hello Len,
The Arrows, like my other work are diecastings (PM). They start life as a "soft" model or pattern then a sand casting, then an aluminum die built from that. The final castings are in aluminum or one of the zinc/aluminum alloys. The dies are cast to size and never see a mill or machine tool (drill press excepted!) Yes, I'm still active! We just like to hide I guess. I'll attach a couple of snaps to show a bit of what I am up to currently.
If you were on Rutherford road the other day you were just two or three minutes away from my little workshop!

Attachments

• P1180951.JPG
    P1180951.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 6
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    545.2 KB · Views: 6