• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hi from Kitchener, ON

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
@LenVW seemed pretty sold on the craftex mills so I thought I would pass it along. You are right though, needing a part donor doesn't make owning own sound promising.

if a sales guy is warning you, you should just run away, he's either going to upsell you or their products are that bad. Either way you are probably going to regret listening to them later.
I do not have any first hand experience with the Craftex line of mills.
I was hoping that someone had experience to add.
I have been to the store in Mississauga and looked over a few 1/2hp models.
The King Canada KC-15VS is a basic desktop unit but it is 3/4hp.

I worked on Ex-Cell-O #604s knee mills and can assure you that they are the most robust vertical mills I have seen. I liked the Ex-Cell-O better then Bridgeports. They are full size mills and meant for full time production shops. We utilized them to produce many boring heads and tool holders as well as carbide cartridges. Unfortunately, I do not have room for a full size mill.

Does anybody have a SEIG ? . . . Or Harbor Freight ?
Any horror stories about these models ?

gmihovics

Garrett
I do not have any first hand experience with the Craftex line of mills.
I was hoping that someone had experience to add.
I have been to the store in Mississauga and looked over a few 1/2hp models.
The King Canada KC-15VS is a basic desktop unit but it is 3/4hp.

I worked on Ex-Cell-O #604s knee mills and can assure you that they are the most robust vertical mills I have seen. I liked the Ex-Cell-O better then Bridgeports. They are full size mills and meant for full time production shops. We utilized them to produce many boring heads and tool holders as well as carbide cartridges. Unfortunately, I do not have room for a full size mill.

Does anybody have a SEIG ? . . . Or Harbor Freight ?
Any horror stories about these models ?
I don't have any first hand experience with the SIEG line but I have heard really good things. The machine listed by @Susquatch is actually a SIEG X2 from the looks of it. They are a very reputable machine in the mini mill market. the main complaint from what I've seen is the z column has a tilt adjustment for milling on an angle. some people say that makes it less rigid.

http://littlemachineshop.com has all kinds of replacement and upgrade kits for this machine and they are relatively inexpensive.

here is the Kijiji link again

darrin1200

Darrin
@darrin1200 , @LenVW , @gmihovics (hope I didn't leave anyone out - please forward if I did.)

Here is a small mill on Kijiji in Paris. I'm not vouching for it, just pointing it out. I know zero about the model.

This is the type of pricing I was talking about. The equivalent of this mill new, is $999 right now with a warranty. The only thing extra is a few collets. To me a good price on this would be more down around $600-700. Or am I to unreasonable?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Actually, yes I think you are being unreasonable. The craftex has a plastic gear drive. That's part of what makes it so inexpensive.

I'm NOT saying that the one in the ad is any better. For all I know it make have plastic gears too.

What I do know is the the Craftex has lots of complaints. Google it for yourself. I decided totally against buying a new one. But I understand the ok'd ones are better made. So I might have considered a used unit.

Basically, I would pay more for a solid reliable machine that is used than a new one that is fragile with a reputation for problems.

gmihovics

Garrett
This is the type of pricing I was talking about. The equivalent of this mill new, is $999 right now with a warranty. The only thing extra is a few collets. To me a good price on this would be more down around $600-700. Or am I to unreasonable?

I'm kind of with you, I would want to see if I could get it for 700-750 but what do I know lol I'm a newbie. I just know that this model has the smaller table compared to the x2d and does indeed have plastic gears on the headstock and drive. I can get metal gears and a belt drive kit from little machine shop and I can even get the larger table with fixed z column if I wanted to to basically upgrade it to the x2d.

if I factor in the price of the gears, assuming they have seen abused which I think is likely, I would want to try and offset that repair cost.

I'm actually trying to find a way to bypass the spending embargo :D and see if I can't snap it up if @LenVW isn't interested.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wonder how much the tooling would cost to make steel gears for it yourself. I made a small gear for my mill drill and it's still hanging in there.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
@LenVW seemed pretty sold on the craftex mills so I thought I would pass it along. You are right though, needing a part donor doesn't make owning own sound promising.

if a sales guy is warning you, you should just run away, he's either going to upsell you or their products are that bad. Either way you are probably going to regret listening to them later.
If you check the history of LMS Mills in the USA they are supplying a ‘belt drive’ conversion kit for their mini mills. It replaces the plastic gears and reduces the noise generated by the meshing teeth in the drive train.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you check the history of LMS Mills in the USA they are supplying a ‘belt drive’ conversion kit for their mini mills. It replaces the plastic gears and reduces the noise generated by the meshing teeth in the drive train.

Sounds like a plan!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Oooooo...... VFD capable then..... Starting to sound like a hell of a machine!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

See my post above. After spending $300 upgrading my CX605 I was still left with a down feed that's wasn't all that great. The belt drive conversion bypasses the two plastic gears.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The belt drive conversion only replaces one plastic gear, there are two.

Ya, all these upgrades are starting to add up.

But near as I can tell, you love your machine and don't mind improving it. So there is a message there for everyone.

Heck, my wife married me thinking she could turn me into something she could be proud of. That didn't work out like she planned but we are still married and we even had kids. Surely a mill can't be a bigger challenge!

What do these gears look like? Why not make steel (or even brass) ones?

gmihovics

Garrett
Ya, all these upgrades are starting to add up.

But near as I can tell, you love your machine and don't mind improving it. So there is a message there for everyone.

Heck, my wife married me thinking she could turn me into something she could be proud of. That didn't work out like she planned but we are still married and we even had kids. Surely a mill can't be a bigger challenge!

What do these gears look like? Why not make steel (or even brass) ones?
here are the original plastic ones

here are the metal versions

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
here are the original plastic ones

here are the metal versions

Beautiful!

Those look like cast gears but so what. Still better than plastic. It looks pretty doable to make them out of steel or brass. The double gear will have to be made in two pieces that are then either pressed or welded or screwed together.

So the question is:

1. Do you want to buy a new one and use it to make the new gears or

2. Buy and new one and wait till December for new gears or

3. Find a decent used one and fix it instead?

Edit - for 100US you get metal gears. You can't buy a gear hob and arbour for less than that. I'd just wait for the metal gears to be available.

Again, @YYCHM (and others) really like their machines. It seems to me that metal gears and a few other changes are not a huge obstacle.

Last edited:

gmihovics

Garrett
Beautiful!

Those look like cast gears but so what. Still better than plastic. It looks pretty doable to make them out of steel or brass. The double gear will have to be made in two pieces that are then either pressed or welded or screwed together.

So the question is:

1. Do you want to buy a new one and use it to make the new gears or

2. Buy and new one and wait till December for new gears or

3. Find a decent used one and fix it instead?

Again, @YYCHM (and others) really like their machines. It seems to me that metal gears and a few other changes are not a huge obstacle.
completely agree.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

I'm not sure "really like" is an accurate statement. I was trying to make do with what I had. I ditched it the first chance I got to upgrade to a RF30 that I could afford.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just thinking out loud.

For those of you with a lathe, you could make your own arbour and gear blanks and then grind a single tooth highspeed steel cutting bit to cut the gear teeth with. It would take a while, but I bet the result would be something to be very proud of!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure "really like" is an accurate statement. I was trying to make do with what I had. I ditched it the first chance I got to upgrade to a RF30 that I could afford.

Ouch. Ok then. I never got that impression.

So tell us then. What would you do if you were given the chance to do the whole thing over again?

trlvn

Ultra Member
My impression was that @LenVW is interested in an RF30 class (round column, circa 1.5 HP) whereas the machines with the failing plastic gears are RF45-type (mini mill with square column and .75 HP or less). I don't think BusyBee even offers an RF30-class machine at this time. Mine is a 2008 vintage.

King Canada's PDM-30 is an RF30 style machine, $2,700 at KBC:
6-125-030.jpg

Craig