• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hey Guys!!! I dare you to find a better auction than this….. Starts Tomorrow.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
2X scrap is what i am prepared to pay for scrap material... I get hundreds of pounds of steel and aluminum from 2 shops in my area for free or nearly free by not being too much of a bother, and asking politely.

That seems about right, a good deal for both parties. If not a credible vendor with mill certs, who are they going to sell to? Basically guys like us which is a very small market.

It is amazing how much gets scrapped, I'm sending a 40 yard about every week if not more. But the shop gets so plugged up with off cuts and small bits sheet, you can't just let it accumulate. Storing it takes space and time and time cost me money. Not just a wage but the opportunity cost of not having the man and forklift working on the something billable.

Even on a personal level, I've got crap I've literally been toting around for 40 years, since a teenager, thinking that'll come in handing one day. If I started pulling out of the scrap bin every piece of steel that might be useful and brought it home, I'd be 1) on a hoarding show episode and 2) divorced

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Storing it takes space and time and time cost me money. Not just a wage but the opportunity cost of not having the man and forklift working on the something billable.
That's how I feel about IT software development..... it is just a calculation of time and money. There is no fun in it anymore. Everything is about the cost, not the experience, not the creativity.

That's why I'm glad I explore metal work as a hobby..... and can ignore the cost, time, space and other constraints.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Thanks @kevin.decelles , I get the drift. Wayne has 85 listings on Kijiji alone. A gazzillion parts and accessories sold separately. Prolly trying desperately to make money parting up things and buying and selling. Not a business I'd ever want to be in.

I've only been to Wayne's shop, and bought from him, once. My impression is that it is a decent side gig for him. Selling machines for parts, you can almost certainly get 2-3 times the value of an old machine. This only works, of course, on machines that are pretty common and thus in demand: Atlas, Southbend, Logan, Myford, etc. A single handwheel is worth $30 to $70 to someone in need. I bought a 2-step pulley from him and was happy to get it for $80. My alternative was to wait for one to show up on eBay and then the all-in cost would likely have been higher.

OTOH, I don't know him well and certainly don't know how he measures the success of what he does.

Craig

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Wayne is actually a really good guy. I’ve had a number of dealings with him and he is both fair and reasonable. That Myford is probably the nicest Myford on the planet, and while his ask is alot it is as Gerrit points out, only an “ask”. I wouldn’t say that this is any sort of business for him, he is, as the bunch of us, REALLY into this hobby. He buys lots takes the stuff he wants and parts out the stuff he doesn’t; which I dare guess, most of us have done, lol. What I respectnis that he bought everything “fair and square” in the auction….. it isn’t as though he approached the widdow with a crazy low ball offer and “scooped” the bunch of us. So while I may find some of his “ask” prices a bit high, I would be throwing stones from my glass house were I to make comment. I bought my Atlas 10F for $400 and sold it at the hight of the pandemic for $2250. Cheers all! Looking forward to the next auction…. Hopefully I’ll see you all there, lol.

Derek

gmihovics

Garrett
Wayne is actually a really good guy. I’ve had a number of dealings with him and he is both fair and reasonable. That Myford is probably the nicest Myford on the planet, and while his ask is alot it is as Gerrit points out, only an “ask”. I wouldn’t say that this is any sort of business for him, he is, as the bunch of us, REALLY into this hobby. He buys lots takes the stuff he wants and parts out the stuff he doesn’t; which I dare guess, most of us have done, lol. What I respectnis that he bought everything “fair and square” in the auction….. it isn’t as though he approached the widdow with a crazy low ball offer and “scooped” the bunch of us. So while I may find some of his “ask” prices a bit high, I would be throwing stones from my glass house were I to make comment. I bought my Atlas 10F for $400 and sold it at the hight of the pandemic for $2250. Cheers all! Looking forward to the next auction…. Hopefully I’ll see you all there, lol.

Derek
I feel like Wayne started to get a bad rap somewhere along the way here and if that was based on my comments then I just want to say I'm sorry. I just thought his price on some parts where higher than I thought they should be. I hope no one thinks I was bashing him. I'm sure he's a great guy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When I saw all his listings, I assumed Wayne is a business man. There is NOTHING wrong with that. It's perfectly legitimate to do what he does. Let's face it, most retail businesses mark their services and goods up by 50% or more. Nothing wrong with his markups or asking prices.

If Wayne is operating a business, then Buyers like me need to be aware of that and do business with him accordingly. You are not dealing with the normal seller who is just getting rid of stuff for a fair price. You are dealing with a business and just like any other business big or small full or part time, he has to make money.

I don't know Wayne, but I wish him and every other small business in Canada all the success in the world.

If Wayne is just another guy like some of the rest of us who buy and sell for our own reasons, that's great too.

Nobody is forcing any of us to buy from anybody else. We each pay what we think it's worth to us or we don't.

Just my opinion for whatever that is worth.

Well I won’t keep this too myself although I might bid on some.

Looks like a few left over lots from this auction are in the current auction from “sell this for me”

Posting here instead of a new thread if anyone distant needs something. Their headquarters are only a few minutes from me if someone wanted something picked up or shipped

Lots:207,211,212,213, 303,304,305