• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hey Guys!!! I dare you to find a better auction than this….. Starts Tomorrow.

gerritv

Gerrit
Unfortunately some items are separated from its parent, e.g. the Maximat will be expense to run up if you don't win the 2 or 4 related items auctions.
I had this issue with Chris Balls's auction a few years ago as well, without the extra items in another 2 lots the Universal Pillar tool I won would have been of limited use

Julius was a prolific maker, even when he was nearly blind his workmanship was superb.

I think you can be confident that the equipment is in good condition, not abused or neglected.

Gerrit

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I especially like Lot 16 - "Assortment Of machinest heads...". Pretty serious shop foreman in that shop I'm guessing!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Too bad so many of the lots are random groupings of completely unrelated items. And the titles and descriptions are pathetic.

Craig

John Conroy

Premium Member
It saddens me to see a lifelong collection of wonderful tools like that being sold in such a sloppy manner. I think I need to sit down and come up with a plan so my stuff finds good homes when I'm gone.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lot 71 Incredible machinist tool. great description. No idea myself what it is and the auctioneer doesn't either.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
It is sad seeing what was clearly the price and joy of a man paraded out on the public auction stand. Auctioneers will always screw it up, nature of the beast, allocation of resources etc. Still, they seem to go out of there way. With large machine auction auctions they intentionally strip the tooling away from the machine, a lot of it is universal (a D1-6 is a D1-6 etc). With smaller specialized items who's value depends on them being together, its destructive of value.

I mentioned this to an auctioneer of some clocks tools earlier in the year who'd separated some key items. He said they tried not to and even hired a 'consultant' to go through stuff, both to group and to identify. While they take a big fee, they did generate incredibly high prices - much more than I could on kijiji onsey towsy'ing it. A watchmakers lathe with a few dozen collets (two separate packages) were close to 2000 (after tax and BS fees) combined for example.

I find this particular Auctioneer rubs salt in the wound. ok fine, you're clueless, we all are just of different things (a grinder gets a called a machinist sander? o_O) . But then how dare you add the hyperbole - 'auction of the century', 'fantastic', 'incredible', 'high quality etc'. If you don't have a clue, you have no business editorializing.

oh well, I guess the serenty prayer would support being philosophical. Its an imperfect thing but someone else will become the caretaker of his treasures and he got to have and use them as long as he could

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
PS....can anyone identify the jig borer? not a Linley or Moore afaik....who else made little benchtop models?

It gives me pause for thought about my fairly extensive wood shop machinery and my growing machinists tool collection.

I have a spreadsheet where every major component is itemized and serial # recorded and a rough approximation of what I paid for it and what I thought it was worth on the open market. My wife knows how to access said spreadsheet stored in a 'cloud account' we share in case something happens to me. I've been to too may estate sales where I've seen widows/families struggling to sell things or price them accordingly.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Auctioneering 101 for ages has been to build box value in every box a bit by spreading high value stuff between the multitude of otherwise $5 boxes. Proven fact that a box with 3 $100 items in the box will prob leave for $150 and $5 for the other 2, but if you put those 3 $100 items in 3 separate boxes, you will probably get close to the $300 value ....hammer price is the auctioneers bible not our convenience every time.
At least on internet bidding, you know the boxes have in them what is described and you will get that....at crowd attended auctions as they all used to be, unscrupulous buyers used to "box build" themselves, hiding things of value under a bunch of useless stuff and make it look like it is still a $5 box....I've seen and watched it being done at our own farm auction when my old man retired.
At the same auction we had 3 instances of equipment sabotage on the big, some very high value, machinery. A couple were found before they hit the stage ( a belt twisted so the haybine would only run backwards and a spring loaded belt was removed from a pull-type combine) . The worst one, and withy the most expensive consequeces to our family was a self propelled combine, When the old man attempted to demonstrate the machine to the crowd , the engine would stall out every time he tried to engage the thresher. The combine sold for a little over 1/2 what we had expected for it( a 25,000 hit to us) and after the sale we discovered that some Asxxxxx had grabed a hand full of 1/2 nuts from our very own bolt bin and threw them into the cylinder/concave and when a bar came around it would jam up solid, killing the engine. We tried to annul the sale but those sale contracts are bulletproof.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Lot 71 Incredible machinist tool. great description. No idea myself what it is and the auctioneer doesn't either.

I am guessing it is a tool used to shape metal - just a wild guess.

Dabbler would know. Auctioneer did not get most stuff as he has zero clue what most stuff is. Stuff is placed frequently at random as others have pointed out.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I am guessing it is a tool used to shape metal - just a wild guess.

My guess is something to do with winding, motors or coils or some kind of inductor. There's a few hints this gentleman was perhaps involved with electrical equipment somehow....that plus the counter on it. Perhaps brought home when work got a new one?

Just another guess, don't know the machine or how its used

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Super glad I am not in need of any of that stuff. The “machinist heads” look specific to one of the units for sale and parting that off is terrible. There was another auction where a guy got the tool sharpener and another guy got the jigs and fixtures for that unit - makes both purchases kinda useless unless you have the other stuff. It’s like the guy on Kijiji selling the lathe and another add has the change gears ?
@historicalarms : that would be so maddening that the equipment was being sabotaged to drive down the prices - brutal. If you could identify the person it would be nice to add some sugar to his gas tank before he left - ugh!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Lot 71 seems to be a multilayer straight coil winding machine. My best guess. It looks different from the ones I saw in the 70s, but has most of the same elements. The power supply is to measure inductance of the coil as it is wound (a bit of black magic, I say!)