• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Here goes nothing...YouTube Channel

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Liked the fluid film video, I don't worry to much about rust on the underside of my truck as it gets sand and gravel blasted every time i leave the yard. My 2 year old car already had wiring fixed and a protective mud flap installed to keep from getting mor damage.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You're right, it's not going to stay put like paint/powdercoat on a surface that is being constantly hit by moving snow. It works fine for spray from the road/tires and as you can see, hasn't washed off after a year on the underside of most of the vehicle. Storing in the off season is where I'd be using it mostly on a snowblower or parts that aren't in the main auger assembly.

I can't say it's stained my floors anywhere that I've noticed, but I'm not dropping tons of it and nothing drips off the vehicles when I spray them. Its consistency stays constant with temperature, doesn't run when hot really and doesn't solidify/tackify when cold. As for removing it, I haven't ever had to completely? The only reason I could see needing to is for painting something, at which point just paper towel to remove the bulk of it and acetone usually handles the rest of cleaning metal for paint for me.

IMO, worst case, you've spent $15 on a can and slowed rust for a little while...worth giving it a try!

Fluid Film is in my anti-corrosion tool kit too. Quite some time ago I discovered that it is used by municipalities to rust proof their snow removal equipment. Seemed to work well for that so I've used it ever since.

I don't use it for vehicle undercoating though. Too many places you can't get at with that.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Fluid Film is in my anti-corrosion tool kit too. Quite some time ago I discovered that it is used by municipalities to rust proof their snow removal equipment. Seemed to work well for that so I've used it ever since.

I don't use it for vehicle undercoating though. Too many places you can't get at with that.

What places can't you get at?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What places can't you get at?
Rocker panels, doors, rolled seams, fender cavities, boxed frames, etc etc. Lots and lots of places. The outfits that do this typically drill a small access hole and use wands with custom shapes, then install a cap.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Rocker panels, doors, rolled seams, fender cavities, boxed frames, etc etc. Lots and lots of places. The outfits that do this typically drill a small access hole and use wands with custom shapes, then install a cap.

I mean you can DIY that...though I don't like the idea of drilling, but my Lexus for instance has a ton of little access holes to spray in and the undercoating gun I have does come with a 360 nozel for inside the frame.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I mean you can DIY that...though I don't like the idea of drilling, but my Lexus for instance has a ton of little access holes to spray in and the undercoating gun I have does come with a 360 nozel for inside the frame.

Someday you should section a car like yours at the junk yard. You will be AMAZED at what is hidden from your gun.

The bad shops don't do better than you could, but the better ones know the inside structure of your car and have equipment that gets to "almost" everything.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Someday you should section a car like yours at the junk yard. You will be AMAZED at what is hidden from your gun.

The bad shops don't do better than you could, but the better ones know the inside structure of your car and have equipment that gets to "almost" everything.

I have fully parted out to bare chassis a couple of cars before...I know what the insides look like. It's a trade off between getting rust proofing into these areas versus leaving them sealed off so stuff can't get in in the first place.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Little Fluid Film action this past weekend:

Have been doing it for 6 years on the one vehicle, it's almost completely rust free still :)
silly me, I just used it on my lathe when transporting it from Milton to Toronto...

it has a consistency of morning after binge drinking vomit... so it does not blow off of smooth metal at 120 kph

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Anyone need last minute gift ideas? Not machinist focused, mostly tools focused, but some neat ideas that aren't your common screwdriver or socket sets or cordless drills: