• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from Manitoba

deleted_user

Super User
Our mosquitoes are smaller in SK. than in Man. they can only carry off small children not adults.
I'm tempted to say BS... the mosquitoes in both provinces are genetically indistinguishable and I am positive I saw one carry off a 14 year old who was tall for his age... so if we extrapolate they could carry off adult females.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Our mosquitoes are smaller in SK. than in Man. they can only carry off small children not adults.
I feel that my blood pressure has decreased significantly since moving to Manitoba, no doubt it’s something to do with the constant bloodletting.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm tempted to say BS... the mosquitoes in both provinces are genetically indistinguishable and I am positive I saw one carry off a 14 year old who was tall for his age... so if we extrapolate they could carry off adult females.

I call more BS. All mosquitos that suck blood are female. The males do not even have the required parts. Female mosquitos distinguish between male and female victims. They vastly prefer human males. They won't even touch my wife but they will carry me away even before reducing my weight. So it's adult men that we need to worry about here. The bigger the better.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Don’t tell anyone I said this but Saskatchewan is starting to grow on me.....
Not as much as Alberta mind you

I dunno why but I feel the Regina Beach would be an experience

Enjoyed many nights and beers at Regina Beach lots of great parties, and nothing like a moonlight night when the water was dead still. I have heard prices have soared in recent years but way back it was cheap. There are a lot of great places in Saskatchewan worth seeing many "different" unique places. All of the Western Development museum's are worth seeing so much neat old equipment.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Then there's ice worms and snakes. LOL
What’s an ice worm?

The Garter snakes in Manitoba are pretty cuddly. They’ll just give you a harmless little kiss. I grew up in Australia where the snakes were a bit more… amorous.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Yeah . . . What is an ICE WORM ??
Sounds like a really thick-skinned . . . slithereen !!

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome Andrew !!
These guys like to hand out machinery advice.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ice worms are fierce predators waiting under Canadian ice for anything to walk above them. They attack upward and drag their victims down under the ice to be devoured.

They are not well known because very few humans ever lived to talk about them. I am one of the exceptions. They don't like the taste of big ugly hairy guys.

I believe they became a household name after a kids game (Pokemon?) made them popular.

Seriously though, ice worms are actually a very common species of worms that typically live in glacial ice but can be found in winter ice too. They typically eat the Algae that grows in the ice. They migrate deeper with lower temperatures. Usually they are less than an inch long. You don't want to find one bigger than that.

Aklavik

Ice worms are fierce predators waiting under Canadian ice for anything to walk above them. They attack upward and drag their victims down under the ice to be devoured.

They are not well known because very few humans ever lived to talk about them. I am one of the exceptions. They don't like the taste of big ugly hairy guys.

I believe they became a household name after a kids game (Pokemon?) made them popular.

Seriously though, ice worms are actually a very common species of worms that typically live in glacial ice but can be found in winter ice too. They typically eat the Algae that grows in the ice. They migrate deeper with lower temperatures. Usually they are less than an inch long. You don't want to find one bigger than that.
You neglected to mention snow snakes !!!!! Not very inclusive in Turdos utopia

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You neglected to mention snow snakes !!!!! Not very inclusive in Turdos utopia

That's because I'm not afraid of snakes, so I have no respect for them and see no need to worry about inclusiviti. Ice worms scare the hel& out of me so I make sure they receive due attention.

Aklavik

Can't really argue with that snakes are tasty . They make up a large part of our winter meat out here . Ice worms mind u give me nightmares . Every time I remove my tire chains when I hit the hi way I shudder reaching into the deep dark unknown on the back side of the tires to in hook that link . Thankfully I figured out a t rex duct tape fix with a dental mirror and Ali express led head light . Added bonus I never have to shave that duct taped band arround my head after removing the duct tape . It's a win win mach 3 razors ain't cheep

Andrew_D

Manitoba mosquitos are no joke. They are our provincial bird,

Sorry Andrew, looks like we’ve sidetracked your introduction by our provincial jostling.

What type of machining are you into?

Ha! No kidding!
I don't check in for a couple weeks and all heck breaks loose!

Most of the machining is repairs around the farm. Currently have a 1975 Dodge D600 in the shop. Well past it's prime so it is being stripped. Some parts sold. Frame and rear axles being turned into a dolly to pull the lowbed for moving excavator around from field to field. It's more of a welding project than machining, but the 2 1/8" hole in the hitch did require a bit of lathe work to install.

Andrew

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
@Andrew_D , what is the nearlest 'town' to you? I grew up in Langenburk SK, which is as easy as saying Russel MB. If figure you are somewhere between there and Brandon.