Hello from Manitoba

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hey Andrew, I come from the cash crop and feedlot area of Ontario, originally.
What is your topsoil like in the Brandon Area ?
What crops ? Any livestock ?
My brother still lives on the home farm new Bayfield, Ontario.
Lots of heavy clay on the hills and dark loam in the lower field areas.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Saskatchewan Prairie boy here. Northern slough country.

Spent my adult life working in the Auto Industry in Ontario.

Retired to a farm south of Chatham Ontario. I figure I wanna die a farm boy the same way I was born. If my wife goes first, I'll be moving back west.

Andrew_D

Hey Andrew, I come from the cash crop and feedlot area of Ontario, originally.
What is your topsoil like in the Brandon Area ?
What crops ? Any livestock ?
My brother still lives on the home farm new Bayfield, Ontario.
Lots of heavy clay on the hills and dark loam in the lower field areas.
All crops here. 2022 is red spring wheat, barley, oats, canola. In the past have grown soys, corn, quinoa, rescue, ryegrass, fall rye, sunflowers, lentils, winter wheat, canadian prairie spring wheat, probably some others I can't remember.

Soil is called Newdale Clay Loam. It's the Manitoba provincial soil!! Rolling topograhy, decent drainage, sloughs and potholes, topsoil ranges 4-12 inches.

Andrew

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
That is a good soil base for crop growth.
We used to grow a lot of corn, barley, soy and white beans when I was a teenager.

I apprenticed as a machinist with Ex-Cell-O in the 1980s, but, the recession at that time eliminated a lot of manufacturing in Ontario.
I went back to school for Machinery Design and spent co-op work-terms at Kellogg’s Engineering in London.
Following the completion of Project 2000, I was recruited by Big O and designed some patented machinery for corrugated HDPE pipe.
At the same time I graduated from a four year course at the Ivey Business School at nights.
Technology transfers from Norway, MRPII & PLM software implementations and capital machinery projects have made forty years seem like a blur !!

You can ask this group anything about machinery and materials.