• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Heating a garage - Infrared, innovative or terrible idea?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I had my garage pulled, it was from a tee that was installed at the meter. Mine was done a long time ago with iron pipe. My neighbour just had a new line pulled to his attached garage: it is done with Stainless Flex line. Pricy at $80 or more per foot, but less labour.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
The gas line cost $1333.50. we saved money digging the trench ourselves. They will charge you too much to dig it.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
My last gas line was 80ft long, and was yellow plastic (or some variation). Cost 250 (back in 2000) for the line and 250 flat rate to tie it in (I used atco)

I have a reznor heater- I like it.

Depending on when u need help, I have some cycles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That's news to me as well. I always thought like power, the utility only supplied service to TIC (tie in connection or meter). In fact, I thought they were prohibited under provincial regulation from providing past TIC. "Initial lighting of natural gas appliances: The customer is responsible for arranging a qualified contractor to light natural gas appliances for the first time. ATCO does not provide this service." (from http://www.atcogas.com/Services/Documents/Obtaining-new-residential-natural-gas-service.pdf).

So if they do GREAT! I'll use them next time. Please let us know what you discover. But if I were a gas fitter I'd be mad that tariffs on NG were being used to compete with union rates for a service past the TIC.

(Maybe this is relaxed in rural areas though).

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Keep in mind that I live in an acreage -- outside city of calgary regime

I got my line out of strathmore, when I called, they said to put a garden hose in the trench, pull it tight, measure end to end and don't add any length or try and over think it

I picked it up, 80 feet of yellow pipe with risers on both ends, pressure tested and tagged . Dropped it in the trench, called for inspection, was told to bury it because it was already tagged.

Called two days later, taco shows up and tied the line into my house feed. I did my garage end myself, had it inspected , done and done

The good old days.

I don't know if much has changed.... I just did all my own electrical and plumbing permits for the house, no issues in inspections , havens had to pull a gas permit yet but I suspect I van do my own work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Makes sense now. In rural areas you have few options I thought they might allow this.

Good for you. I’d love to be rural. Really love to!

My wife....yeah, no.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
That does make sense. Understood.

@Dabbler. When works for you to take a look at the setup?
I'll message you.

Like I mentioned, it's all above ground and probably ~10 feet from the meter to the garage, so I don't think it's a monster job or anything.

JW

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This sounds somewhat similar to when I had an external gas line feeder from my meter area to my deck where it fuels a NG BBQ. This was many moons ago, but my understanding even at that time was anything involving tie-in to existing lines required permit & gas fitter. Here I'm fuzzy - if you hire it out, does he take care of permit? If you lay/hang the appropriate pipe into place according to code, I assume you still have to have the qualified guy on site to do the final connection? Maybe to oversee your work, turning valves on & off, post checking for leaks etc.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Permits/Building-permits/Plumbing-Gas-Permits.aspx

Dennis P

Just had the wonderful experience of doing the same thing this fall. Bought a different house middle of last summer that had just a detached garage(shop for me), but it wasnt insulated and only had a small subpanel service fed from the house. Not sure if this will work for an attached garage but I ended up splitting at the meter, so I ended up with a 100A service to the house and a 100A service to the shop. Should be more than enough but sure as sh__ Ill need more at some point. I did end up going with forced air NG again in this shop too, ran the line in the same trench as the electrical. I like way it heats and with r20 walls and r50 in the attic the temp stays nice and even on colder days. And if its like my last house it should only add about $25/month(equilized) to the bill, time will tell though. Went with a Reznor UDAP 45 unit, nice and small and very quite. From what I have seen they are the same as the MrHeater units. All in all not cheap but if this is going to be your workspace for awhile definetly spend the money now and enjoy. I saved a bit by doing all the trenching and taking out a homeowner permit to wire the inside of the shop myself(with a bit of help from a buddy), but still not a cheap endeavour.

Good luck

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I am so jealous...I would kill for 100 Amps in my shop. I share 100 Amps with our house (silly things like dryers, fridges, freezer, you know....)

My heater is 45,000 BTU as well--more than enough for most small shops especially if insulated. Great investment!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
CalgaryPT

If it makes you feel any better, I share only a 60 amp service between shop and house!

I also made the mistake of running only 14/2 wire and 15 amp breakers in my shop. The house is old and I couldn't do nothing about that but I wish I had done some heavier wiring in my garage. I had no idea I would have acquired such a well equipped shop at the time I was building it.

Don

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
CalgaryPT

If it makes you feel any better, I share only a 60 amp service between shop and house!

I also made the mistake of running only 14/2 wire and 15 amp breakers in my shop. The house is old and I couldn't do nothing about that but I wish I had done some heavier wiring in my garage. I had no idea I would have acquired such a well equipped shop at the time I was building it.

Don
My bad....
After I posted my comments I thought to myself " why wouldn't I have upgraded my electrical service when I did my shop?". Well I started thinking....
The service comes in the back and hits the garage first so I DID put In 100 Amp service there but then it carries onto the house which is only 60 amp. My memory fails me sometimes but usually not long lasting.
Don