• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Heading East! Ya Mule Ya!

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch the only problem is that the road (our driveway) is not our property, it is the Ministry of Transports and they don’t/won’t plow that road piece so we have to. We are actually having to change address March 20th because the house was not on the 911 listing. - not something you want. It is kinda crazy - !

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Susquatch the only problem is that the road (our driveway) is not our property, it is the Ministry of Transports and they don’t/won’t plow that road piece so we have to. We are actually having to change address March 20th because the house was not on the 911 listing. - not something you want. It is kinda crazy - !
It’s odd that 911 numbers aren’t standard across Canada. My last delivery in Saskatchewan there was no fire number, no mailbox, no name on the fence, nothing. I was told they’re on 3rd Ave between the rink and the graveyard :D

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
It’s odd that 911 numbers aren’t standard across Canada. My last delivery in Saskatchewan there was no fire number, no mailbox, no name on the fence, nothing. I was told they’re on 3rd Ave between the rink and the graveyard :D
In Sask most rural addresses that aren't in a town or a city have a land location. SE Ptn Sec 26 15 16 W2nd for example.
All first responders and 911 operators have the means to look that up in short order and get where they are needed.
Delivery drivers, not so much.
In 20 years of living out here I have had exactly 2 deliveries come directly to the door.
Everything else gets shipped to the street address of the local post office in town.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Brent - Think of it as a trade-off: the new place comes with a bit of extra snow to plow but you get a 24 x 40’ shop - that’s almost a no-brain’r.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@CWret - LOL, right now I have a shop and snow to plow - seems like an even trade- however:

Cons of new shop:
- need to run power and outlets
- need to complete vapour barrier and strapping
- need to sheet the walls and ceiling
- need to add a source of heat
- need to add source of light and some windows.

Pros of new shop:
- I should be able to expand and create the ultimate work space (currently unable to do to municipality)
- new shop has no posts to interfere with work

New shop:
72BA2E21-7148-41B1-AC6A-218ED678DFCF.jpeg
Old shop:
133D2AFA-137C-4A1A-AA50-95FBCCD68BAB.jpeg

Currently in the process of loading old shop into a large trailer (well a bunch of stuff) for the next adventure out east. As well as planning for new shop lay out.

As mentioned I and hoping to “expand” so as to separate the metal working from the wood working as well as get some storage/paint area. 2 sons are working trades so things will hopefully see a lot of use from me and the lads :).

Brent H

Ultra Member
Update: trailer is loaded for another trip next week with part of the shop, metal bandsaw, cabinets and benches, some tooling etc.

My last mission was to gut the shop that is out there (24x40) and this time down we will drywall the ceiling, sheet the walls and paint it out. Then move in the cabinets and tools that can go into place. Should be a fun trip.

House here in the O is now up for sale after several months of refirb: link to MLS : https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25416916/33-lauder-road-oro-medonte

No shop pics as I don’t want to have snoopers. 4 showings so far, not much feed back other than the shop is nice. …LOL.

Lots of great content and conversations happening on here that I am missing - Dang it! Hope to be more active in a few short months!!

Hacker

Super User
Update: trailer is loaded for another trip next week with part of the shop, metal bandsaw, cabinets and benches, some tooling etc.

My last mission was to gut the shop that is out there (24x40) and this time down we will drywall the ceiling, sheet the walls and paint it out. Then move in the cabinets and tools that can go into place. Should be a fun trip.

House here in the O is now up for sale after several months of refirb: link to MLS : https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25416916/33-lauder-road-oro-medonte

No shop pics as I don’t want to have snoopers. 4 showings so far, not much feed back other than the shop is nice. …LOL.

Lots of great content and conversations happening on here that I am missing - Dang it! Hope to be more active in a few short months!!
Nice place, don't know what the market is like in your area but hopefully you won't have any trouble selling it. Have a safe trip to to the new digs.

Brent H

Ultra Member
So I picked up this nice drafting table for $250 - not a machinery tool but in excellent condition with imperial scales. Should be a slick addition to the new shop.

I can work in CAD etc but find hand drawings sometimes way faster and the table allows for displaying projects underway.

215F4903-CA1F-4432-BDEF-45E905DC0656.jpeg
941521D8-9651-496C-A6F0-320C9E6EE311.jpeg
Scales are Vemco - anyone have anything available- like metric ones - let me know

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So I picked up this nice drafting table for $250 - not a machinery tool but in excellent condition with imperial scales. Should be a slick addition to the new shop.

Very Cool Brent!

Looks just like the ones we used to use before CAD came along. I always enjoyed drafting. I have a much smaller board here but I would leap at the chance to have a bigger one.

I doubt you will find metric scales for it in North America though. Drafting Boards predate metrication. But who knows, maybe a few diehard boarders who fought CAD brought in some scales from other parts of the world. Never say never!

Maybe you could even make some! I wouldn't put that job above your pay grade!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I still kick myself. A few months ago, I passed on a bag of scales in value village for around $15. I think there was about 6-8 of them. I don't have a board, we got rid of ours at work (kept table, tossed machine) a few years ago, and I couldn't think of anyone that had one. Not 5 mins down the road I remembered my FIL still has one.....doh, but when I went back the next day they were gone. He has a few anyway, and didn't really need them.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A few months ago, I passed on a bag of scales in value village for around $15. I think there was about 6-8 of them.

I assume these are the plain scales that you use by sliding them along an existing drafting head.

@Brent H - Google is always listening to me and contrary to my expectations, I got a few ads for metric drafting heads on Amazon. They didn't seem to be too expensive but they did look small. Might be easy to adapt to your head carriage if it came to that.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I assume these are the plain scales that you use by sliding them along an existing drafting head.

@Brent H - Google is always listening to me and contrary to my expectations, I got a few ads for metric drafting heads on Amazon. They didn't seem to be too expensive but they did look small. Might be easy to adapt to your head carriage if it came to that.
They were like this, in various units that I don't remember now.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/115707784285?hash=item1af0b8ac5d:g:AagAAOSwh8ZjxL-g&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8H/Qta7VDXbAhaT2zfxwM4Omuw+02XkpaW1NhJ6Uwxoqk3EFQtHScLba1hafKDH2mDsxi34x4OZHaj0Mk4V5Wgm9i2Uu6DriPxefDDtoz8ptHSkcDzjemxMN4qfOgNITySBNJzfd6FfbU6z+cVDe4p8dauWCiVJsTByRM4gv7WLnYA1qhr8kz9pEZl7uVsdK4kXX/Py7ar9zPDQ4dZkZboQ3uCYJhq4XVwDy+FwaYBMgfsz3rgzb3CWf2qdmtf89sI44uamz6PqmJhIDR5ddkH9M2JfO6oqEVgF2L3abpNIQTjvMMiVD1YODyLEdhPrLZg==|tkp:Bk9SR6q2yJ_qYQ