• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Heading East! Ya Mule Ya!

Brent H

Ultra Member
So long time no post but it has been crazy!! Drove out last week and a bit ago, blew a trailer tire just outside of nowhere quebec. :

IMG_0396.jpeg
I was fortunate enough to have a few lucky and unlucky things happen. - changing the blow to the spare was very risky. “Most” moved over, several truckers swerved me ??? (Tire was drivers side - my ass in danger !!). WTF - anyway , back on the road - approximately 12 hours drive in. I had to tear off the bent up fender as the blow sucked it in and…. IMG_0401.jpeg

I worked like crazy to straighten things ……. Welding table, supplies etc all packed and in partial transporting…..

I made a template out some MDF and reshaped things :
IMG_0537.jpeg

Many claps :

IMG_0539.jpeg

Started filling gaps amd bending back to form. My Evergreen has a spool gun option so I was spool feeding aluminum at about 18.5 volts and 140 amps - basically
“Spray welding” aluminum. The material was about 16 awg. Sonit was a fast application. Brushed all the surfaces many times with dedicated stainless brush, argon gas.
IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0542.jpeg

IMG_0543.jpeg

Worked out great!! Posting is odd for me - anyway some pictures lost ……

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpeg
    IMG_0395.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
So long time no post but it has been crazy!! Drove out last week and a bit ago, blew a trailer tire just outside of nowhere quebec. :

View attachment 36162
I was fortunate enough to have a few lucky and unlucky things happen. - changing the blow to the spare was very risky. “Most” moved over, several truckers swerved me ??? (Tire was drivers side - my ass in danger !!). WTF - anyway , back on the road - approximately 12 hours drive in. I had to tear off the bent up fender as the blow sucked it in and….View attachment 36163

I worked like crazy to straighten things ……. Welding table, supplies etc all packed and in partial transporting…..

I made a template out some MDF and reshaped things :
View attachment 36164

Many claps :

View attachment 36165

Started filling gaps amd bending back to form. My Evergreen has a spool gun option so I was spool feeding aluminum at about 18.5 volts and 140 amps - basically
“Spray welding” aluminum. The material was about 16 awg. Sonit was a fast application. Brushed all the surfaces many times with dedicated stainless brush, argon gas.
View attachment 36166

View attachment 36167

View attachment 36168

Worked out great!! Posting is odd for me - anyway some pictures lost ……
Nice job on the repair.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Glad to see no one was hurt.
You must be almost to end of the back and forth tripping. That's going to be a good day when it'd done and you can sit back with a beer!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
“Most” moved over, several truckers swerved me ??? (Tire was drivers side - my ass in danger !!). WTF - anyway , back on the road -

Lost a left front spindle on the 407etr pulling a flatbed with a surface grinder on it. I hear you! Many folks just don't care.

A few more episodes like that and you will be talking with a Newfie accent in NB without trying!

Glad you made it ok.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I returned back to Ontario last week on the overnight express to avoid the 500 or so kilometres of construction on the highway that is always in repair ….. someone is making money for doing nothing …

Made my wife’s retirement party the afternoon I got home and then -packing!!!

@Chicken lights is due about the 21st and so I am palletting up everything possible. Hopefully an “easy” load with the fork lift and pallet jack to move things about. I took the head off the mill (as per @Dabbler ’s suggestion) and it, along with remaining steel stock and such will go on a separate pallet.

I will pick up one of these:

To load with the trailer package just for fun. Should make clearing out the bigger trees (around where the shop addition will go) much more enjoyable. Several other “toys” in the process as well but we will save those for later mention. (All will require metal fab “tweaking and upgrades”). August will be another busy month but no longer going to require epic drives across the country!!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
My daughter just bought a similar saw for her man so he could build a river front cabin from timber on their property. It works excellent after the labor of positioning the log is done. He can cut a 24 inch butt log down to a pile of dimensional lumber in a few minutes.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I will pick up one of these:

I've always wanted to make or buy one. I'm surrounded by walnut, wild black cherry, hickory, and dead ash trees that go to waste when they fall. I'd love to turn them into good useful lumber.

I've always wanted to make or buy one. I'm surrounded by walnut, wild black cherry, hickory, and dead ash trees that go to waste when they fall. I'd love to turn them into good useful lumber.
.......ummmm this is a metal forum, ashes=heat, heat makes for a happy machinist. What better use could there be for wood?:rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
.......ummmm this is a metal forum, ashes=heat, heat makes for a happy machinist. What better use could there be for wood?:rolleyes:

There is always one outcast loner loser in the crowd......

I prefer to be cold....... :eek:

I'd be using the hardwood to make things....... I know, blasphemy on a metal working forum, but I like to make things out of wood too.

There is always one outcast loner loser in the crowd......

I prefer to be cold....... :eek:

I'd be using the hardwood to make things....... I know, blasphemy on a metal working forum, but I like to make things out of wood too.
..... I've been known to use wood a time or two as well, sometimes I hit things with it, use it between things that I am hitting, or occasionally, and this has always been my favorite....... Poking things that are best left alone....:p
A skilled wood monger, I am not..........:rolleyes:
As long as I am hanging around here, you will never be the lone odd duck in the crowd my friend. :cool:

Brent H

Ultra Member
I am now in New Brunswick full time! My wife is on route and will be here later today!!
The shop is full full full!!
IMG_0677.jpeg

Should be many days to sort out and then plan the expansion build!!

So many thanks to @Chicken lights for his time and assistance with the big move!! We loaded Friday, Dave started East. I departed Saturday at 0200 and piled on 14.5 hours of driving to get to a hamburger at my in-laws.
Next day was setting up to receive the 53 footer that @Chicken lights was hauling (loaded to the back doors!). Dave arrived on Sunday and we planned the Monday unloading!
Yesterday (Monday) we waited impatiently for the arrival of the fork truck and then we were off pulling things out!! Dave was awesome coordinating the process and assisting with some lifting. My (on vacation) sister in/law and family were there to help!! All in all about 4 hours later we had an empty trailer!!

Big thanks to all the family and Dave that helped out! Now it is time to continue unboxing - ugh!! My Brother in-Law is coming to paint the basement walls - what a super guy Tim is!!

I will have to start up a new thread on the shop when things get a bit more settled!