• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Heading East! Ya Mule Ya!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Beautiful work Brent. I've always said you never need to finish the trim until you move, and now here you are proving me right with pictures to back it up :D. Thank you. From both me, and my FIL who is still chipping away at trim in the log house he built 40 years later....... I still have a few pieces left from the bathroom reno I did 6 years ago. I used round corner beads and turned corner moldings to match. I did the baseboards but have not finished the marble chair rail portion. I have the blank turned round, just need to finish the profile, and every once in a while I will find it sitting on my spot on the couch. I figure it's like the sailing stones of death valley.....They're moving there somehow, I just don't know how.

Love the staircase BTW. Reminds me of my great Uncles house that he built as well. He was a furniture maker, and had this big grand tapering curved staircase as a focal point when you walked in the front door. I've always had an affinity towards curved staircases. Love the looks, but they're not fun to move couches down.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Thanks for the encouragement!! It is not really the way I wanted to do things but what can you do! Sadly all the main floor trim is ash and oak - but it will be painted. No time for stains and farting around.

I started building the house in 2003 and we moved in in 2005. Lots of crazy moments for sure. The only things I didn’t do was the shingles, the insulation and drywall. I had a great connection (thanks to my wife xxoo) with an excavation company and they dug while I ran the transit around. After that it was footings and ICF foundation etc etc…..lots of learning …..

I made the the top trim on the table saw with a molder head and a few passes for different profiles. I also have a 3 Hp molder with power feed so the baseboard went quick. It does need a few parts made so that may pop up in a build thread at some point.

I am painting with a Graco proX17 sprayer. Trim is getting blasted with a 413 tip and the walls I am using the power paint feed roller attachment- things work very well and the machine cleans up pretty quickly. It should prove very useful for some upcoming projects!

Brent H

Ultra Member
D1BBB272-9664-4F68-BB01-675A5DF5913F.jpeg Doing a more indepth cleaning and moving things - I will post some curved molding activity later - cleaning up the garage - @architect I will put some metal together for you and let you you know about grabbing it if your interested.

The above book is up for grabs - shoot me a PM and basically its just the shipping. It is 2” plus thick.

Lots going on and sorry for not being more involved in the community- another trip out end of the month - finding such cool things as we pack and dig into the house - LOL

Working on finish of the fire place:

C78D286A-C18D-479F-8DD2-FD1178A066EF.jpeg

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The house has a lot of “you” built into it. Your personal touches and craftsmanship throughout. Well done! Careful - you might just want to stay.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@CWret : thanks for the auction link alas time to respond - hahaha

Can’t stay, have to treat this place like a “project” and move on. Too much going on at other place - LOL. It is, however, looking quite lovely :confused:

I lost my shop renter out east ( @Dabbler will know what that means) due to a feeder failure and the crop not working so .. ugh… more $$$ out the door. However, now I have a 24x40 shop to jam all my stuff in next month - then I contact the higher powers of @Chicken lights for the big push in late June.

Only project of metal was a fast wood holder for my neighbour:
8A0FC1B0-F294-49CB-88CF-11033BE3DF66.jpeg
Eating up excess stock. LOL

I think that took me all of 1.5 hours and then back to painting etc!

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey folks! Another drive out east with a loaded trailer:

7C44D22B-0492-4521-B750-E2C2133FA308.jpeg

YES!! That is insulation for the basement. Turns out that the previous owner didn’t think it was necessary- well, after a $1100 electrical bill (heat pump no gas) I loaded up enough to do the job. Insulation in Ontario :$71/bundle Insulation in New Brunswick: :$121/bundle - WTF- Any way arrived safe Monday night despite this Quebec woman’s best efforts to T bone me at Brassard. Argh!!

Installed the first layer of foam board:

B487AB6C-FCD6-4943-B8CB-FE1CF22ECD98.jpeg

Scuba tanks holding things in place while adhesive sets up!

My shop “renter” left so now it is all mine - 24x40 of blank slate:

105D5DD9-088B-40E7-ABD8-FDD367110C15.jpeg

100 amp service. Insulation but no wall board.

Before I left I did some curved molding for the last window to trim. Old House will be set for sale in a few short weeks!
21177A9E-9342-4B90-B5FE-306B8A064DD7.jpeg
8AB0C3E6-61EB-4F76-81B3-80CD9C591801.jpeg

Fun times! Framing in the basement for insulation and that will help keep things warm. Next trip will be a lot of shop tools. Might even bring the mill - wood tools for sure though- now that the shop is mine!!! (The wood in the shop picture is to frame in the basement and the shop had 2 partitions so I saved that wood. The ceiling is 9’ so that is nice!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Before I left I did some curved molding for the last window to trim.

Hey Brent, how would you recommend making the inside moulding? The part that looks like a section of cylinder?

We have one garage window with a top piece that looks like yours. The moulding that you made is there. But the cylinder section is missing. I'm not sure how to make it.

Screenshot_20230302_194129_Chrome.jpg

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch : you have a couple options.

First thing, maybe make a template of the curve you want to achieve. Easy way is to jig saw or bandsaw the curve into some 3/4 material.

You have then a couple options:

1/4” MDF bends easy. Glue between each piece and wrap around the form. - remember that each board needs to be longer than the last one. Glue up to 3/4” or what you need.

No form “technically required” you can take the cut board - like plywood - and scarf cut the back about every 1/2” leaving 1/8” not cut. (So not a through cut). See how things bend. I have used boiling water to help.

There is flexible plywood

Steam bending….

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch : you have a couple options.

First thing, maybe make a template of the curve you want to achieve. Easy way is to jig saw or bandsaw the curve into some 3/4 material.

You have then a couple options:

1/4” MDF bends easy. Glue between each piece and wrap around the form. - remember that each board needs to be longer than the last one. Glue up to 3/4” or what you need.

So basically multiple layers of mdf..... This could work. The final (inside) layer should be oak veneer cuz thats what the rest of the window frame is, but..... It's a garage..... So maybe that won't happen.....

No form “technically required” you can take the cut board - like plywood - and scarf cut the back about every 1/2” leaving 1/8” not cut. (So not a through cut). See how things bend. I have used boiling water to help.

This could work too, but I'd be afraid of the oak cracking.

Thanks Brent.

It might have to wait till we sell the place..... LOL!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@Brent H - The place is going to look so good you won't want to sell. lol
Have you thought about hauling a couple of truck loads of insulation to help pay for things?;)

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
We’re living parallel realities! I too only have electricity (no gas) and I’ve been bringing insulation back from Alberta on every trip I make back to Calgary. That, and beer.

Damn PST adds up after a while

mikoyan31

Stewie
Damn it Brent, every time you come east a Nor' Easter follows you like some demented puppy! Would you please settle down and at least try to keep your pet storms on a leash?

I've never had an insulated basement, but then again I've always had a wet basement come spring. Current house the water runs right in. Of course it runs and is pumped right back out again but I always so look forward to the freshet.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@kevin.decelles : yep!!! They don’t sell kegs at the liquor store in NB so that is also part of my cargo!!

@mikoyan31 : when I depart Ontario is getting the storm, I arrive and it happens here - somewhat depressing- a good 18” fell last night - argh!! More time on the plow.