• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Had some fun

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I can't picture driving a rig through Yellowstone being a very pleasant experience. The are some pretty steep, winding, twisting, narrow sections of road through it. No guard rails:eek: I was essentially standing on the floor boards in order to see over the hood of my F150 in a few places. Wife couldn't stand to watch.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I can't picture driving a rig through Yellowstone being a very pleasant experience. The are some pretty steep, winding, twisting, narrow sections of road through it. No guard rails:eek: I was essentially standing on the floor boards in order to see over the hood of my F150 in a few places. Wife couldn't stand to watch.
Without a trailer that would be cake :cool:

Chicken lights

OHHH man do I remember those days of stressing over axle weights, breaking out in a cold sweat when hearing on the radio that DOT's were in the area. In AB there is no overage allowance at all, fines are $1 per KG. One time I had my bridge distance snugged up 1.5 inches to short and was pulled over by a mobile unit...that 1.5 inch dropped my legal load with a tri-axle down 7.5 Tonnes.....I was sweating on that one ($7,500) but circumstances of the highway stop and the fact that a real old DOT "more forgiving" officer was present saved my bacon on that one.

Been in & out of Cody many times but never with a "wheeler"...always pulling an RV unit. The only incident of note was we got caught in a big "flash flood" one trip. Water was 1/2 way up the doors on the pickup and current was pushing the trailer towards the ditch big time for 0ver 500 yards....wifey left nail & tooth marks in the dash on that one .

Dave, you don't mention the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum from your Cody visit, man if you didn't get to see that you probably missed the best museum ever. I have spent 4 full days in that place & not seen it all yet, 3 wings to the place, Old West History, Western art ( Charles Russel-Fredrick Remington etc.) and the peace-de- resistance , The Gun museum ( largest in North America, second in the world only to the British London history museum)....Their entrance door exhibit would interest you, a 1875 Colt's manufactured Gatling.
Dang it
I didn’t know that was there or I would’ve went
That sounds pretty awesome

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Without a trailer that would be cake :cool:

Yellowstone is on my bucket list to go back to. We only did 1/2 the figure 8 loop and it was busier than all get out. Would have to circle around in the parking areas until someone pulled out it was that busy. Like the Grand Canyon, it's worth seeing.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Craig, of the several trips to Cody for the wife and I ( we shot competively in the Wyoming State Championships) I never ventured west of the town for that reason. Traffic coming and going from the park gate would rival rush hour on Memorial from dawn to dusk every day.
If you do get back and Cody is part of your itinerary, give me a call, I've got all the "eating spots" cased out....Irma Hotel "all you can eat" prime rib buffey served every night of the year is a high-lite eating experience ( you can eat at the original bar that B B Cody bought for the place in 1800's).

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Love the pictures @Chicken lights thanks, I am always on the lookout for unusual things when I travel as well like the pile of antlers I wonder how long it took to get that pile. Out in that country there is lots of nothing but usually you can find something interesting along the way. I can't wait until I can travel again although most of my exploring is on foot in an urban setting.

QUOTE="Chicken lights, post: 48694, member: 1016"]View attachment 16075View attachment 16076View attachment 16077View attachment 16078View attachment 16079View attachment 16080View attachment 16081View attachment 16082View attachment 16083Well these are probably all out of order, but they’re just from on the trip

Salt Lake City back to Green River/Rock Springs, up to Lander over to Shoshoni, then 20 north to Thermopolis theres a crazy canyon drive. 120 northwest outta Thermopolis over to Cody. Then 14/20 over to Yellowstone.

We were told by Yellowstone staff if we dropped the trailer we could bobtail in (just the truck). Guy at the gate was pretty rude and wouldn’t let us in. So we left. Disappointed but we didn’t raise a fuss

I’m surprised at the amount of water in some of the states. Arizona, Wyoming, Utah, the Dakotas, they have a lot of water I didn’t expect.

Then back to Cody, 14A to Lovell, down to 310/20 to Worland. 16 across to Buffalo then I90 out to SoDak

Year and a half ago we ran AB to TX on I25 through WY, this trip we covered all of I80, I’d say we’ve seen most of WY now. A very pretty state[/QUOTE]

Chicken lights

This gave it away for me....

View attachment 16283

I remember those hills when we drove into St. John's. Also, the ferry was flying a Canadian flag.

Where you headed and what's the load?
Actually I went to Port Au Basque not St Johns, I won’t get over there this trip

Heading to Corner Brook with man lifts

What was St Johns like?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Actually I went to Port Au Basque not St Johns, I won’t get over there this trip

Heading to Corner Brook with man lifts

What was St Johns like?

Port Au Basque was where we crossed to get to St Anthony. Funny I don't recollect those hills on that stretch of hwy?

Good thing you're not going beyond Corner Brook. Horrible single lane hwy with no shoulder to speak of up to St Anthony.

St john's was a bit of a disappointment for us. Didn't really get to see down town as we couldn't find parking. Drove around and around for the better part of an hour and finally gave up. Signal Hill is pretty neat as is The Rooms.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Port Au Basque was where we crossed to get to St Anthony. Funny I don't recollect those hills on that stretch of hwy?

Good thing you're not going beyond Corner Brook. Horrible single lane hwy with no shoulder to speak of up to St Anthony.

St john's was a bit of a disappointment for us. Didn't really get to see down town as we couldn't find parking. Drove around and around for the better part of an hour and then gave up. Signal Hill is pretty neat as is The Rooms.
I’m gonna try and get up to Gros Morne while I’m here

The truck may “break down”.....

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I’m gonna try and get up to Gros Morne while I’m here

The truck may “break down”.....

Go for it. Post images please. We didn't wander into Gros Morne as we were on a bucket list mission to find ice bergs up at St Anthony and only budgeted a day to get up there.

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Cool beans Dave!! We arrived in New Brunswick last night for vacation!!

The ship is on the way to Pictou Nova Scotia for Dry Dock - I will be there in September!

Have a super trip Dave - they have lots of good places in Newf to grab some fish and chips!

Chicken lights

8363F4D7-B05C-45D7-882E-E573178D05F5.jpeg 407F1AEE-B036-49EB-90D7-448DC070BBA2.jpeg B1840436-B82A-42BF-9210-C04E72BCCB9C.jpeg B3F11C53-461E-474B-AE3B-5D7DD98E6270.jpeg AEC839C1-27D2-4AE0-8772-01222A38FCCA.jpeg 560D2B4F-4949-42EA-9FC5-960BD3829CAB.jpeg 34F3AFA5-AD80-498C-B185-EDB727FD5EBE.jpeg CC0E0C7C-DAE5-490F-9D60-548638CA88EE.jpeg A009BD93-A5A4-4528-95F2-14A5F7921B2D.jpeg AA3C8EB4-E206-47AA-92B0-BDCA7C96FBED.jpeg 1B76C871-B6DD-47AB-9000-24343AF35932.jpeg E86CB137-085A-4254-8BA2-F297BCA7C442.jpeg 5FF819F8-F617-4253-B8C6-2FA14E9DDD84.jpeg So pretty. Today we learned Gros Morne is huge and not a day trip. Went out to Tablelands and then on to Trout River, small fishing village on the water. There’s still 3/4’s of the park going north I didn’t see.

Got pulled over by an RCMP officer for my Ontario plates :D

I did most of the Tablelands hike, very interesting geology.

The roads out here are questionable at best for quality

Didn’t see any meese but had some great chats with some locals

Dispatch suggested I take the midnight ferry. Once I stopped laughing we came to terms that I’ll be doing the day crossing tomorrow instead

Antler carving at the Discovery Centre. Yellow house is actually a 3 bedroom 1 bath house from 1898. Saw the boat come back in from a day out fishing.

Its been a good day

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I told you that stretch of hwy was ifffy:p

So, why would the RC's pull you over for having Ont plates? The rental car we had, had NB plates.