• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Had some fun

Chip Maker

Super User
Actually 5.56 or .223 is center fire and used in AR 15 as opposed to .22 cal which is rimfire. Similar in diameter but way more powder and a heavier weight projectile.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Lucky guy, i would love to play with one of those Gatling guns.

Craig... "wink" should we tell him??

Actually Fan, build one of your own, it can be done & still be Canadian gun laws legal.....
A bastardized version of a rotary operated mechanism can be made ( you can't call it a "Gatling" because it gives "them" an avenue to call it a "variant" which it isn't).
Two things in Canadian firearms law that govern the Gatling. They are , the crank operation of the firing mechanism that can regulate firing rate & the "cannot fire more than one cartridge with one pull of the trigger". On a true Gatling both are relevant, the crank does complete the firing sequence and it doesn't have a "trigger" to interrupt the continuous loading & firing of the crank.

If you or someone like you were to design and prototype a rotary mechanism that will not allow the machine to fire, the crank can't influence the rate of fire in itself. The second thing to do is incorporate a trigger mechanism to interrupt the firing sequence after every round is fired and has to be re-set mechanically or manually after each pull and pulled again after each shot.

Some more info for the interested; Back in the 70's , the Govmt of the time deemed the Gatling in the "Machine gun" category, which it wasn't and still isn't. The NFA sued the govt to have this rescinded, it went all the way to the Supreme Court and the NFA won...they deemed the Gatling a manually operated multi barrel rotary action...sort of in the same classification as a double barrel shotgun & a single action revolver. In actuality, every single action revolver in Canada ( and there are tens of thousands of them) has a bell crank commonly called a "hammer" and a geared mechanism that rotates the cylinder same as a Gatling....and that court ruling has never been reversed, however when Cretin and his cronys passed C69 legislation in 98' and the ensuing bureaucratic regulations that followed , The Gatling was an erroneously named item in the "prohibited class" and unfortunately has never been challenged since....or we could all enjoy Chicken's experience right at home.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes i'm familiar with the plans available to build a 22rf Gatling gun, almost ordered a set a few years ago.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Well keep in mind I had hearing protection on and there was live fire on the range- but the gist of what I understand is the modern mini-guns or Vulcan’s are based off the Gatling gun multi barrel design. The part I didn’t quite catch was the Gatling gun is slow to fire because of the cranking mechanism and the torque needed to turn it by a human being. However if you remove the human powered part and drive it with a motor, you can vastly improve the rate of fire.

The other part I didn’t quite catch was when the Gatling was designed muzzle loaders were the primary rifle of the day. The cartridge design (this is where it gets fuzzy) was an attempt to replace the muzzle loading slow process by re-packaging into a one piece cartridge that could be breech fed. I’m hoping I’m saying that right

The range officer said the only downside to the Gatling was it required two teams, one team to move and position the gun and another to bring the ammo. He said that Custer had 2 or 3 Gatling guns at his camp that he didn’t bring to the Little Big Horn battle, possibly for that reason. He added he wonders if Custer regretted that decision.

History lessons with live fire 5-10 feet away isn’t the best classroom but I got most of it

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Website says you can crush a car with a battle tank too

Ya, well..... it's not really a tank, it's an APC I think. Cool operation. Staffed by ex military vets. They pick you up and deliver you back to your hotel with a HUMVEE.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ok David.... what did you really think of that monument? We drove down there and were actually disappointed to some degree. First off we wouldn't call it a mountain and second.... well if you've seen a postcard you've basically been there.
The Kicking Horse monument is royal rip off.

Devils Tower is worth the side trip if you get a chance. https://www.nps.gov/deto/index.htm

Craig

Last edited: