• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

HAAS Chip Auger -> Was Slicing errors...?

Tom O

Ultra Member
No comments lol well if you don't like this I may have another idea!
Historicalarms what dia is the drive shaft on your auger?
My thinking is your basically looking at a screw. If a carriage was adapted to travel along it a attached plasma torch could travel along it cutting at the desired dia!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yes still working on it. Thanks Rudy. I need 4" diameter and 92" long so the ice augers probably won't suit. Also the auger has a hollow core and I think that is to let the chips move more easily instead of packing them together.

We are doing the torch and bend technique on a mandrel. John N and John C have been giving me a hand with tools, work shop, labor, and supervision. I'm running the torch, John C. is doing the bends, John N is making helpful observations and has all the equipment we need. Namely acetylene torch, tanks, and such. It was taking about a hour per inch but today we finally got our act together and now it's more like an inch a minute.

This is 1" x 0.25" solid flat bar. I think HAAS uses 1" square tubing but this is similar enough I hope. To bend we welded the flat bar onto the 2" round at the end. Then we started heating the bar about 1 - 2" at a time to low red colour. Torquing down on the end of the bar as a handle and using a crescent wrench to control the bending on the short side. (Actually not a crescent but a bahco wrench -better than crescent never heard of it myself before - look it up) This let us wrap the bar around the 2" round as a mandrel.

We would bend about 120 degrees or so and run out of space - stop heating - reposition round bar down and rotate. Start heating and bending again.

I have a 1:10 gear reducer I will use on a motor I think - or maybe the seat motor referenced above. Not sure yet. I'll be welding these short auger sections together. Still need 2 more I think.

Attachments

• F79AD2B8-4214-4F23-8705-0EA1D1B2CAD3.jpeg
    F79AD2B8-4214-4F23-8705-0EA1D1B2CAD3.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0141BA9E-258E-49AA-A016-5115B419E5E9.jpeg
    0141BA9E-258E-49AA-A016-5115B419E5E9.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 72D16F2B-F01B-4B55-9177-679E994043E7.jpeg
    72D16F2B-F01B-4B55-9177-679E994043E7.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Looks good so far. How is it for consistency in height as this supports the one end at the hopper.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What's the plan for aligning them so that they can be welded together in a reasonably straight manner?

Interesting project to say the least.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
It's pretty round so far. It is a big experiment - I don't really know if it will work or not.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What's the plan for aligning them so that they can be welded together in a reasonably straight manner?
I'll put two of them back on the mandrel and then weld them together. That should ensure alignment.
That gives me an idea for the end plate - I can put auger back on the mandrel and attach a plate to the end of the mandrel. Then weld the auger to the plate - it should also then be aligned and attach at the center of the axis.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Inquiring minds want to know!

Yup..... I had stopped by JN's when they were twisting them up. I so wanted to stay and watch but had invited the wife to go on the drive with me:( Looked like a pretty ambitious project.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Still working on it. Haven't made much progress recently but I hope to get back to it. Every time I make a ton of chips I'm asking why I haven't finished this yet.