• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

HAAS Chip Auger -> Was Slicing errors...?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
3D printing some test auger parts.

@Tom O I have one of those PA gear down motors - I'll look into trying it.
@historicalarms Thanks so much for the offer on the flighting - 7" is just not going to fit or I'd be up there today.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

IMG_5348.JPG IMG_5349.JPG

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Bosch motor spec sheet. The motor I have from PA turns out to be a seat motor.

Attachments

• BOSCH MOTOR 12v 6 004 RA3.pdf
    340.3 KB · Views: 0

Tom O

Ultra Member
My concern would be what the life cycle would be plastic verses metal chips. I'm bouncing around a idea for individual paddles welded to the shaft. They could be fitted before hand by sliding them into say a 2 foot piece of 4 inch inside dia tubing. If you go into CAD loading a square say 12X12 placing it on the pitch angle then a 4" dia and another for shaft size. Do a extrude cut on the shaft and the 4"+ material you can cut parts to suit/ shape unused contact areas.
What I envision is sliding onto the shaft being at say 7 pitch the elongated hole sets pitch angle weld it and done. Sliding it through tubing will show any high spots.

Tom O

Ultra Member
For those that thought say whaat here’s a better explanation.
A plate is placed on the pitch angle and the axle portion is cut away.

2737BDE2-B4FA-4C01-8D70-3A198F9E0234.jpeg

now the body gets split at 4 inch dia or whatever giving you the auger blade.
546D33D4-7C44-4467-AF23-4ED37E8E6EA7.jpeg

then you can modify the blade if you wish.
778231F6-DDD0-4F48-860E-CB959BA19E4B.jpeg

because the center hole is elongated it helps with fitting on the shaft.
The only thing I’d watch is in cad it cuts on a angle but machining the shaft would be offset a hair as most cuts are at 90 degrees.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm trying to wrap my head around this Tom... so once you have the disc cut out with the nicely elongated shaped center hole... then what?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Each piece should represent a segment of the auger pitch included for a given diameter. The elongated hole is just for positioning on the shaft & welding in place.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I'm going to have to try making one out of cardboard or something by cutting the elongated hole and mounting on the shaft between centers then rotate it while scribing a pencil line at the wanted radius with a height gauge.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Yeah I remember the haas at our shop has quite a bit of beef to push those chips. That would be quite the forge job! may need a couple assistance for that

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I was reading the people making flighting have a rolling mill wheel adjusted to press some flat bar to make the outside edge more compressed to make it longer. This is why it wraps around the shaft. I can imagine it curling into a spiral as it emerges from the rolling mill.

@Johnwa Yup blacksmithing I'd like that.

@Tom O is the auger in your machine a solid bar? Or hollow square tube?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Russian company making a flighting manufacturing machine. The bit where they actually make some flighting is really short - like 1s

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
So the previous machine uses very thick plates and makes the auger one thread pitch segment at a time from a thick circular blank.

This one below you put a strip of material in and it compresses the outside edge and curls it all in one continuous form. Machine weighs 7 tons and has two BIG motors - I would guess those motors are more than 5HP each?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
And at the other end of the spectrum here is an ingenious use of a bottle jack to do the same thing. It's a little slower and cruder but obviously works. Watch Mohammed and his hilarious special effects.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Russian guys doing the same thing. So many people around the world working on approaches to this problem - it's amazing.

from google translate:
the device allows you to expand the screw blanks for screw piles and drills with a diameter of 50 mm to 800 mm (any screws in the range of these values), max. pitch of a turn up to 450 cm. from steel with a thickness of 2 mm to 10 mm, the direction of rotation is clockwise and counterclockwise.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
High end swedish equipment. This is how the auger in Tom's machine must be made. The vid is a bit sales oriented but worth watching. Does anybody know if there is a machine like this in Calgary? @Alexander have you seen anything like this in any of your work travels?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well I jury rigged a test up with some pipe, tape, and mdf it should be fairly close to 4 inches i didn't round out the holes just square cuts for the shaft.
Here's a short vid you might want to turn the volume down!
PS That's the 5 inch chuck I got fron Perry.