• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

HAAS Chip Auger -> Was Slicing errors...?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi

I'm trying to slice this model I made but different version of the prusa slicer all end up with these strange gaps. In the fin you can see horizontal gaps. Those are not on purpose. If I scale the model up in size it gets worse. If I scale it down to 95% is mostly goes away. Oddly I have successfully printed a different version of this part no problem. This is a reworked version. Has anybody seen problems like this? What to do? I could download other slicer software and try that. Different versions of this slicer all do the same thing. I guess I could also redraw the part from scratch. The preview in Fusion of the stl file looks ok. See that below. It loads into the slicer ok. It just shows the problem when I actually run the slicer. Ideas???

1591548836809.png

1591549079929.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I finally figured this out... I was using the Fusion 360 Surface->Sweep command to make the twisty fin. Instead I should have used the Solid->Sweep command. In effect the shape was completely hollow with an infinitely thin skin so the slicer was trying to do something with that. The confusing thing is why was working at all? After using the Solid version then everything fell into place pretty quick. Trying again here with a print. It looks pretty neat printed.

1591555866743.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well I'm trying to see if 3d printed parts could work as the screw in a chip auger for my mill. A real one from haas costs as much as used car so what can I do myself?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You might consider a farm equipment supplier. On the farm we have a multitude of different size augers (length/diameters) to move bulk material... it won’t say HAAS (you could just print a sticker for that...) and you may have to work on the gear reduction as the ones used for bulk transfer are usually set up for very high feed rates. One buys them by the foot - or as a whole unit.

Here are two 25’ used grain augers for $200. you will need a motor and gearbox.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/strathcona-county/misc-farm-equipment/1503799487?undefined

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
If I was going to buy some auger material then I would need some about 8' long and 4" diameter. The shaft OD ID etc. can be whatever and probably the auger pitch is irrelevant too. The farming community calls augers like this "flighting". Does anybody know who sells this in the Calgary area?

Tom O

Ultra Member
I can’t load a pic in conversations so here it is here
0B8C4809-E8D2-4C0A-8AA7-9130D9290793.jpeg
it extends about 2 1/2 inches into the tube. A rubber O ring seals the tube to the hopper.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
ah that's interesting. Thank you for posting this pic. I forgot just how robust looking that auger is. Is that solid or square tubing?

Tom O

Ultra Member
I would say solid turning on swarf would wear it down eventually eroding it. I’ll turn it on tomorrow for a better look at the depth / speed.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I wonder if one of these motors would work it's 12v and 60 rpm or variable speed with a pulse width thingamajig, even at a 2-1 ratio it would be 30 rpm. IMAG0011.jpg

historicalarms

Ultra Member
The farm suppliers would be a good place to look for slow speed 12 volt motors as well, lots of chemical/seeding applicators require the easy speed changes that 12 volt provides.
Another application for auger flighting is if you can find an old Kirks Coal Furnace sitting idle, 1000's of them became obsolete when gas co-ops were installed ruraly and every one of them has a 4" dia, 6 or 8 ft long auger on them to feed stoker coal.
Come to think of it, I think I have a 6" auger with flighting still in it out in the bush behind the shop... I will check today, I don't know if it will work for you but its yours for the drive if you want it.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I found it, it looks to be 7" instead of 6 and is probably 15-18 ft long. if it interests you I will take the loader out and snake it out of the tall grass for a photo or two. Just let me know.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Here is the motor drive it turns at 20 rpm driving a short shaft. 85F839FC-5B70-4AD5-844F-3A5B7D2CEF04.jpeg

The shaft is bolted to it controlling the stick out at the hopper end it does go into it deeper a good 6/7 inches by the looks of it but it makes sense if it supports that End.

310EB385-7B88-4D51-8648-9959EEFB0003.jpeg
Hopper connection
8AC847C8-550A-4C33-98D3-466930985641.jpeg

Don’t forget about clearance
7C53DEDC-D255-4C21-9490-F1EE7514A05C.jpeg