• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Group Sourcing Metal Ideas

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That’s pretty interesting Tom. Thanks for posting. That is the prices I expected here. 1018 cold roll is not much more difficult to make than 1018 hot so I expected in volume to pay not that much more. It’s still 1018... CANADA and Calgary... everything costs.

Brian Ross

Spokane Washington is probably the closest reasonably sized city to Calgary in the US. There are some suppliers with a good variety of products and online pricing. Cold rolled is certainly much cheaper down there but when you take into consideration the exchange rate and the 25% tariff on US steel it doesn't look like you would save anything. And you still have to get it from there to here. For a cost comparison 2" round in 8 foot lengths comes to almost $3.00/lb CAD (its about $1.80/lb US). I have no idea if the place I looked at has good prices or not but, given that, the local price for round and square cold rolled stock doesn't look so bad.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
D7013351-755D-4414-9ABE-44B0E9026908.jpeg AB51251A-F971-4B91-83DC-533945249269.jpeg
How much do you guys want? ;)

31,000 pounds of 5140 was about $28,000 USD, less than a dollar a pound in USD. I dragged that back from Michigan this week

Ok, but seriously, can you guys skip the steel shops and deal directly with a mill somehow?

Or, can you guys find a cheap source of steel that isn’t local to Calgary, but have it delivered as an LTL shipment?

Work with a local manufacturing business to have stuff delivered there for pickup, but buying the steel at their discount?

Just brainstorming out loud

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
It sucks that we couldn't reach a deal on this try. But working in the industry i remain sympathetic to the issues the suppliers are facing that keep costs high. I don't have the solution to the problem but i am keeping an eye out for opportunities to save on material costs

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The 25% surtax may not even apply to us. First of all origin of steel has to be US (not Canada or other country(?)) second of all it doesn't seem that our stuff is on the list here: https://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/steel-acier/notices-avis/936.aspx?lang=eng

Either that or we cannot get an exemption for our stuff and have to import with general permit - https://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/steel-acier/notices-avis/907.aspx?lang=eng

The website is very poorly designed & stuff is super convoluted - one would simply need to send them an email and ask for our specific items. I would guess 1018 is a "carbon steel" not "alloy steel" but they may use different definitions (it is cold rolled).

EliseLCR

Oh dear.. bear with me here [emoji199] I’m starting out on my own in a new shop and still have much to learn about material/what to buy/where to buy it in the most cost-effective way I can but really need to get the ball rolling and have been watching this thread for awhile..

I would be interested in being a part of this. Trying to scavenge out material is sort of (ok very) overwhelming at the start.. I think hot rolled is what I can afford.. I need to build basics first so welding tables/work stations..
I’m thinking thick plate and tubing, or angle perhaps for the tables.. just mild steel

I know my post is not specific and probably quite irrelevant to the thread at the moment but I thought I’d just get it out there that I’m interested and maybe I can add “1” to your numbers in the near future..

I’m from the Rocky area but will travel reasonable distances
Thanks
[emoji846]

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
> Work with a local manufacturing business to have stuff delivered there for pickup, but buying the steel at their discount?

This is an idea. Maybe there are people on the forum working at places that buy steel - could we piggy back on somebody else's orders? I know some of you have day jobs in shops - is that something we could explore? I commit that we would not make this difficult - full payment in advance - straight forward order - keep it simple and easy. ... ???

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Any interest in doing the group buy in hot rolled instead of cold rolled?

For me, having a stash of something is better than having no stash at all.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think hot rolled is what I can afford.. I need to build basics first so welding tables/work stations..
I’m thinking thick plate and tubing, or angle perhaps for the tables.. just mild steel

For general welding work the cheapest stuff you can get is A36 structural steel - which is hot rolled mild steel.

If I may suggest a solution to your table needs is buying tables etc. at auction - already pre-made and for much, much, much less then the steel that is in them. Unless you need some custom shapes etc. It just doesn't make financial sense to build your own tables. Even sometimes on Kajiji you can get a workbench for next to nothing. I paid $100 for a 200lbs table and 6" Record vise. $50 for a 500lbs table alone. Etc. Even if you paid $1 per lbs (or less) for hot rolled angle steel there is no way you could come close to these prices. Unless you want a project to learn welding on - that would be something to do.

The cheapest place for A36 in "consumer" amounts is Federal Metals in Calgary (https://www.federalmetals.ca/we-sell/angle) . If I were you I would look into Edmonton as they seem to be more into industry than Calgary and thus there should be cheap place there as well. Red Deer is closest to you - so check for any suppliers there.

If you want to buy for more than around $500 in A36 then you may get quote from one of the larger distributors.

You can also buy lots of hot rolled steel segments in large quantities at auction. The discussion of a purchase here is for very specific sized pieces for machining purposes - these are not very easily found.

EliseLCR

For general welding work the cheapest stuff you can get is A36 structural steel - which is hot rolled mild steel.

If I may suggest a solution to your table needs is buying tables etc. at auction - already pre-made and for much, much, much less then the steel that is in them. Unless you need some custom shapes etc. It just doesn't make financial sense to build your own tables. Even sometimes on Kajiji you can get a workbench for next to nothing. I paid $100 for a 200lbs table and 6" Record vise. $50 for a 500lbs table alone. Etc. Even if you paid $1 per lbs (or less) for hot rolled angle steel there is no way you could come close to these prices. Unless you want a project to learn welding on - that would be something to do.

The cheapest place for A36 in "consumer" amounts is Federal Metals in Calgary (https://www.federalmetals.ca/we-sell/angle) . If I were you I would look into Edmonton as they seem to be more into industry than Calgary and thus there should be cheap place there as well. Red Deer is closest to you - so check for any suppliers there.

If you want to buy for more than around $500 in A36 then you may get quote from one of the larger distributors.

You can also buy lots of hot rolled steel segments in large quantities at auction. The discussion of a purchase here is for very specific sized pieces for machining purposes - these are not very easily found.

Thank you very much Tom, this is helpful information to me. I’ve been struggling to decide whether buying or building would be best for me. Muchly appreciated

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Thank you very much Tom, this is helpful information to me. I’ve been struggling to decide whether buying or building would be best for me. Muchly appreciated
If cost is holding you back, I made mine out of two lengths of truck frame rail and four axles. Found a piece of 3/4 plywood from an old road sign for the top.

I mean, it’s not pretty. But it was practically free other than some oxy-propane for the torches

EliseLCR

If cost is holding you back, I made mine out of two lengths of truck frame rail and four axles. Found a piece of 3/4 plywood from an old road sign for the top.

I mean, it’s not pretty. But it was practically free other than some oxy-propane for the torches

Beauty! Thanks for the creative idea.. I do have quite the collection of scrap! Although most of it I have found a use for at this point..unless I change my mind of course [emoji12]

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Any interest in doing the group buy in hot rolled instead of cold rolled?

For me, having a stash of something is better than having no stash at all.

Well the group buy was supposed to save money by buying in bulk and dividing. For Hot Roll you can buy at Steel Inc., or Federal Metals at a pretty good price. But if you want bigger material, 1/2" plate, 2" square or 2" round then a 10' length is still a bit expensive as a total cost.

1550780940916.png

I suppose 5' of 2" square and round would be welcome in my shop. I've personally got some of the flat bar already. ... are people keen to buy 10' lengths and split that up?

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I have a 4'X8' welding table with a 1/2" top (about 800 pounds with the frame) you can have. you can make a couple of welding tables out of it. I can't help move it. You will need a couple of bruisers to move it. I have a large crane with which you can lift it.
I also have steel surplus to my needs we can discuss.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Elise looks like we have a quorum to help you get loaded up. Three guys named John.