• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Group Sourcing Metal Ideas

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Nope. That doesn’t explain it. It’s only in HERE there are so many Johns. I hardly know anybody named John till I joined this group. This thread has gone so off topic....

EliseLCR

I have a 4'X8' welding table with a 1/2" top (about 800 pounds with the frame) you can have. you can make a couple of welding tables out of it. I can't help move it. You will need a couple of bruisers to move it. I have a large crane with which you can lift it.
I also have steel surplus to my needs we can discuss.

Wow that is incredibly generous of you! I can most definitely make arrangements to come pick it up.. so greatly appreciated.. yes I’ll message you to discuss [emoji846]
Thank you again for this offer
Elise

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I’m chipping in a 6” welding vise. Anybody else got stuff for our welder Elise?

EliseLCR

I’d throw something in the mail if it was welcome, maybe some vise grips c-clamp style?

Do they make pink welding gloves?

All is welcome haha but my gosh I’m going to start feeling bad here! You are all incredibly generous. Incredibly nice!

Ooh! I don’t know.. I hope they do [emoji4]

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Janger

Any feel for what this package in hot rolled would cost if divvied up between 4 people?

1 square 1" by 5' long
3 selections of Flat Bar 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 thick by 6" by 5' long
3 selections of Round 1" 1.5" 2" round 5' long

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think at federal metals you can buy in 10 ft sections - not in 20. Prices at federal metals are online - you can find the price easily.

Everyone else in Calgary is *more* then federal metals - at least for small quantities.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Janger

Any feel for what this package in hot rolled would cost if divvied up between 4 people?

1 square 1" by 5' long
3 selections of Flat Bar 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 thick by 6" by 5' long
3 selections of Round 1" 1.5" 2" round 5' long

Yes federal sells in 10’ lengths. Are you saying you want 5’ chunks divided into four 1.25’ lengths? Or you want 5’ lengths?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Your daughter may not appreciate that handle:rolleyes:

If a daughter she could be named Joni! That's how Joni Mitchell got named!

- If we were doing hot rolled structural steel, and we had a bulk order for 5 guys at about 200$ each, there's lots of guys that would give us a discount.

Here's my particular wish list, and why:

2" X 3" square stock: for making mounts and BXA tool holders (1 1/2 X 3 is better for AXA) I could use 4 feet (based on 5 users, that's a stick)

1/2" X 6 square stock = more jigs and fixtures, 5 feet

2" round, 5 feet: to supplement the 4140 purchase.

1" round,. 10 feet: for everything else

-my point - All the variety of thickneses and sizes is less interesting for me from a stocking point of view. If I neeed 1.4" plate for a specific job, I can buy it by the piece at the time of that job (I always buy double the qty I need, so I have leftovers - bothe for mistakes, ans also for the next job)

Since I'm a little frugal these days, I'd prefer 4' lengths, but I'd settle for 5' to make the purchase. My tops budget is 200$ however.

-- I also have an aluminum wish list, but that's another issue.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I agree with you Dabbler purchasing some bigger sizes in hot roll and dividing would be appealing. And I like your sizes.