• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Group Sourcing Metal Ideas

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't think I will take part of this buy at this time, but great idea and effort!

What about aluminum stock? Anyone interested in getting plate/block aluminum of different sizes? I think I would. I seem to have a few dream projects that need chunks of aluminum which I never have. Maybe I'm the only one.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I don't think I will take part of this buy at this time, but great idea and effort!

What about aluminum stock? Anyone interested in getting plate/block aluminum of different sizes? I think I would. I seem to have a few dream projects that need chunks of aluminum which I never have. Maybe I'm the only one.

DPittman have a look at federalmetals.com for some sizes and also try EMJmetals.com . EMJ has an extensive catalog of all kinds of material - I'm impressed. They are in Edmonton. If you multiply the weight of the part by $3.70 per pound for aluminum that's probably in the right area to give you an idea. Federal seems to want $3.70/pound for their 1/8 plate aluminium. If you do want something specific post - maybe we could add some on to an order.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Janger - EMJ was suggested when we were talking about aluminum in the past because I remember their web catalog. It is very complete. But where were you seeing the $/lb multiple? I cant see their price sheet. Maybe you need an account to expose that on their website? Seems like I called them for a spot check price on 2" dia 2024 or similar alloy & it was about the same as AS&S on $/ft basis, but I think on full length stick vs off cuts.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Janger - EMJ was suggested when we were talking about aluminum in the past because I remember their web catalog. It is very complete. But where were you seeing the $/lb multiple? I cant see their price sheet. Maybe you need an account to expose that on their website? Seems like I called them for a spot check price on 2" dia 2024 or similar alloy & it was about the same as AS&S on $/ft basis, but I think on full length stick vs off cuts.

The price I am guessing at. hot roll is $1ish/pound so tack-on 50% and I guessed $1.50/pound. Now that I have some interest I'll actually ask for a quote. I don't see prices anywhere except metal supermarket and federal.

Sorry who is AS&S ?

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I do much of my work in aluminum, I have a small inventory off steel on hand and very limited space to store more, especially in lengths. I usually but what I need in small quantities specific to the job. When I do work for other people I sometimes negotiate part of the compensation in material. I really like the idea of a group deal but I don't think it would work for me.

BMW Rider

Super User
I wouldn't mind having a better selection of metal on hand, but perhaps about half the quantity proposed. If there is someone else in the Calgary area who is interested in a half share I'd be in for this.

I do more aluminum work as well so any group buys of that would interest me.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I wouldn't mind having a better selection of metal on hand, but perhaps about half the quantity proposed. If there is someone else in the Calgary area who is interested in a half share I'd be in for this.

I would be interested in splitting a share with you.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm in, provided it comes in at the $200 mark or there abouts.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well James at steel inc. couldn’t get a price. It was so bad he didn’t even tell me the details. Basically the qty was just too low. I’ll try some more here... if anyone knows some sales reps please help.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well James at steel inc. couldn’t get a price. It was so bad he didn’t even tell me the details. Basically the qty was just too low. I’ll try some more here... if anyone knows some sales reps please help.
How goes the course you’re taking?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well I got a quote from Encore and did an online check with Metal Super Market. I then compared to Federal Online for Hot roll.

Encore is a lot better than Metal Super Market but it is still significantly more than hot roll. At Encore for the flat bar they don't have it in Calgary and it has to come from Vancouver and Chicago. Price per pound is $3-$3.5. The round and square is available here is better with a price per pound of $1.90 to $2.47/pound. For the group buy that would have cost $347 each split 8 ways with each person getting 8 hunks - some 3 feet long and some 2.5 feet long. average cost $2.73 / pound. To split it 4 ways like I originally thought it would be $695 each.

MSM was about double with $680 split 8 ways each but actually a little less material - all 8 hunks 2.5 feet long. average cost $5.34 / pound. Delivered.

Going back to Federal Metals or I believe quite similar at James Steel Inc. the cost would have been $125 each for the eight hunks 2.5' long. average cost $1.10 per pound. You could get the 8 sizes 10' long for $502 and take home 457 pounds of material.

Conclusion: Cold Roll 1018 in Calgary even from an industrial supplier is about 2-3.5 times the cost for the equivalent hot roll. I think for the money I will continue to buy hot roll 1018 and clean it up myself. We just don't have the volume even as a group to make this work.

I do have a question for the group - does anyone know anyone in USA with a local steel supplier - I would be interested to see what this might cost say in the Chicago / Detroit area.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well that's too bad. I was looking forward to having a stash of materials to draw from at whim. Sure appreciate your efforts though.

Would there be any interest in doing the group buy in hot rolled instead?

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Wow - that is crazy high price - people got a great deal on my 4140 and 4330 steel!

Got to look more at auctions and maybe try to get some of the smaller pieces - buying retail in Calgary is way out of the league.

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/1018coldrollsteelroundbar

Steel round bar is just over $1 USD per lbs for 1018

I could not find anything in Montana - guess they only have cows. Maybe Washington is better.

With prices so high here with a group buy maybe its cheapest to just drive to the US pickup two tons and drive back? Imagine that steel may be Canadian made... going back home.

Also Vancouver would be a good place to check - they have lots of import Chinese steel.