• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Great deal on a standard modern 1334

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I wonder what the trick is to turning it on with no fwd/rev switch.
It still looks like a heck of a deal

Brent H

Ultra Member
Not sure if the tailstock is missing.................? probably lots of things under the cabinet?

No FWD/REV switch suggest to me that someone changed it out to a 110 V single phase motor from the original.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
For what it's worth, the lathe appears not to have been used much recently. No trace of splatters on the half painted wall behind the lathe plus a much outdated lantern style tool holder and the clutter of hand tools etc. Perhaps a fixer upper? Just saying!

Attachments

• GeezerAv8r_v1.jpg
    GeezerAv8r_v1.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Tail stock is missing - dang - I think I would have bought it and then figured out a plan..... tailstock not seemingly available anywhere at this time. Could make one but that would be a long process.....

Brent H

Ultra Member
I sent the seller a picture and he came back that it "definitely is not there" so, you could do a bunch of stuff with just the carriage and maybe a chuck mount on the tool post but it would suck for many operations.

If anyone has a 13" Standard Modern tail stock hanging about and would sell it reasonable I can shoot this guy an offer - if not....well...not a great buy ...... :(

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If it runs good, the rest of the machine is good and you have room to put it, hit him with $1k . With the "massive" list of deficiencies he just may take it.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I am off on the water now so would have to buy it sight unseen .......I can send my son on a mission but I would have to figure out a place for it to sit while I tracked down or made the tailstock - I have the blue prints for the 1120/1334 so it would be a possible build to really close to OEM but.......projects ......

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think that a tailstock from a SM11Xxx would fit as long as the donor lathe was the newer version with the feed selector knob on the front of the headstock versus the older, who had it on the cover guard side. I think they renamed them “Series 2000” lathes from the older “Utilathe”.
The reason I am saying this: on the newer 11Xxx, the actual swing is 13”; so center height would be as you need it for the lathe in the add. The tailstocks on both my SM13X40 and SM11x20 are 100% identical and interchangeable.
So you could get one off of a clapped out 13X40 as well.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Looks great but as always inspect if you can or get excellent deal otherwise to account for issues - tailstock better be there - or you will be looking for one or making one.

Brent H

Ultra Member
It was not me that bought it. Would be a gem of a deal for one of the tool movers in Toronto to nab and throw on a tailstock and 3 phase motor. As is stood a new tailstock would be around $1000 to $2000 if you had to go to Standard Modern to buy. The owner confirmed to me that it definitely did not have a tailstock anywhere in his garage (I sent him a picture of one) and the ton of tooling looked to be some tool bits and some boring bars. As @Tom Kitta said, it better have the tailstock or be a really incredible deal.....well...no tailstock....bummer

Plus I would have to sell my other lathe that is essentially new with all the parts I have made - LOL

Bandsaw I think has better luck following me home, although if I get a call for the lathe I was checking out with @architect I may be lying...hahaha

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
This old Geezer had an ugly gut feeling about this lathe, refer to my post #5.

There will be other deals because the used market is picking up some which I suspect is largely due the pandemic, loss of jobs and families running out of money. Just saying!

Glad some enjoyed my "Sleep tight tonight your air force is awake" photo.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I sent the seller a picture and he came back that it "definitely is not there" so, you could do a bunch of stuff with just the carriage and maybe a chuck mount on the tool post but it would suck for many operations.

If anyone has a 13" Standard Modern tail stock hanging about and would sell it reasonable I can shoot this guy an offer - if not....well...not a great buy ...... :(
How does a person "lose" a tailstock? Like they can be used anywhere else??

Brent H

Ultra Member
@DPittman : I have no idea - I would guess that the guy bought the house and the lathe was left there as it was too heavy to move out quickly. The tailstock is probably in the dump or in some guys box who doesn't care. There is a guy on Kijiji Ontario who bought a lathe at auction and another guy bought one the same time - the auction company messed up and put some of the 13" lathe parts with the 10" lathe ....both guys are screwed and have the wrong tailstocks and steady rests etc....

Someone bought it today and hopefully they have a tailstock - LOL