• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Gits 523 Oiler

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Desab - sorry for the confusion, the right hand column is the model number and to the left on that line are the specs for the oiler I'm looking for. As Brent says, it's 3/8" diameter.
I won't be getting one from MCM anytime soon, minimum order is 5 plus shipping. That would about $130 cdn by the time they were in my hands, maybe I'll just stick a cork in it.

Last edited:

Desab

Ok i have
8 mm x 7.6mm being the dia.
8 mm x10.2
9.15mmx 14.8

Sorry no 3/8

Attachments

• oilers.jpg
    oilers.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 5

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I won't be getting one from MCM anytime soon
That should have read GITS not MCM.
John - thanks for the links, I did search ebay and those are about the same cost as buying from MCM. I've just been in sticker shock over the cost of these things but I'm getting over it and will get one.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How about making your own Gits style oiler? The Gits documents show the cross section view.

Or, take the TS spindle out, tap the hole and use either a Delrin or Brass thumb screw with a little O-ring under the shoulder. Unscrew the plug, oil, replace the plug, done.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I thought about a threaded plug of some sort but I don't want to mod the TS. I could press/locktite a brass plug into the hole and then drill and tap that for a thumb screw.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
This is what I was thinking about only threading the insert, this would be more stock looking.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I made one as a test. Basically started with a capscrew. You can drill out the body & make a seat for the ball easy enough. The trick is getting the right (short) spring (green blob on sketch) & retaining it in the body. On the cheapo thin wall brass body ones I think they squish over the lip internal so it keeps the spring in position? Something like that. And thats also where they can get buggered up a bit when being pressed in. I thought about a threaded body because my casting holes vary, likely due to probably offshore hand drilling. Some of the grease zerks I've seen are nice quality but not always low/zero profile which is what my lathe requires at least in certain spots. A raised one wont allow a part or table to move past it.

Attachments

• 2-4-2021 12-11-05 PM.jpg
    2-4-2021 12-11-05 PM.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 4

Kelly McLaughlin

You could just make a brass bushing to adapt whatever size you can easily find as long as it's smaller than the 3/8 The oiler doesn't know it started life as metric : )

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Kelly - that's what BrentH is suggesting in post #30 . It would probably the the least expensive solution and not hard to do. In that case I could use the current oiler as the sleeve and drill it out to fit a smaller oiler.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
There is one there but the top has popped out. It doesn't have a ball it's more of a dome but the dome is MIA. You can just see the oiler location on top of the tail stock in the picture.

Attachments

• P1010730.JPG
    P1010730.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 9

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Brent! Sorry I didn't take the time to look at the drawing. Simple is best! At the wildly varying prices of these things find your best deal on a genuine Gits and go for it. after all we're machinists in the making : ) I looked at the off shore ones when I was redoing the Atlas and the quality was suspect, there's some good kit out there but the oilers I saw weren't some of it. in this case boxed in America is the best option : )

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Craig! I found a fellow on ebay selling Nos so I bought 10 of everything I needed and put the rest in my inventory for the future : ) they're out there but you have to dig. : )

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The Ebay ones looks like the offerings on Ali & other sites. I also bought from that seller but I recall it was a long wait & that was way before pandemic was messing things up. I have a feeling they are generically the same until you get into different lines.

You can see the way they form the tube skirt bottom. Its necked in to retain the spring inside. That's what I was referring to about making your own oiler. Not difficult but a bit fiddly. I also found getting the right spring isn't exactly off the shelf - wide OD, thin wire & short length. Unless you want to wind your own....
1612546449329.png
1612546665051.png