• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Gits 523 Oiler

RobinHood

Ultra Member
You could probably use a spring from a ball point pen. Brass tubing would be relatively easy to roll over.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You must have fatter pens LOL. That's what I tried harvesting & it needed a more considerable lip to stay put. I should have snapped a pic before tossing. For the most part I don't care if the spring comes loose (as the cheapies are known to do, but that might be influenced by installation distortion too). But on fitting it could go straight down an oil gallery in the apron & would be fishing expedition.

Something like this might work trimmed back length wise. Seems like the spring OD is just under the oiler cup ID. Mine are 6mm but they make them bigger like the link? Or wind your own springs on the lathe.
https://www.amazon.ca/Stainless-Ste...d=1&keywords=spring+5mm&qid=1612556937&sr=8-5

RobinHood

Ultra Member
No, just a regular BPP.

The replacement oilers I got from McMC don’t seem to have a lot of force holding the little ball up.

it needed a more considerable lip to stay put.

You could always make a little fine thread internal locking ring with pin spanner holes to keep the spring in place.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes on this style the bodies are meant to be pressed into a drill hole in the casting. And that's the issue on some of the Asian machines & tools where this drilling operation is so-so. The drill hole can be +/- and also probably the bodies can be +/- so the range of fit can vary. If you have a tight or distorted hole & tap them in with too much force, the thin brass can distort up in the ball area or around the skirt crimp area. If the ball get stuck in open position then oil can weep out if there is a little bit of back pressure. I think the light spring force is just to keep the ball somewhat seated so debris doesn't get in there.

If you had a loose fit hole, probably could use a drop of sealant or blue Loctite. I've seen them drilled from the top & pull shrapnel with needle nose pliers (Stefan video, his rotary table episode maybe?)

Brent H

Ultra Member
Resized_20210206_161946.jpg

Look at those poor calipers.....sigh, ......anyone have a wee door for the battery?......

Anyway - @YotaBota I have one - check yer hole and make sure it will fit.......wink wink ...LOL

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You leave my hole outta this!, I'm not that kind of hobbyist,, lol
I'll have to get the old oiler out to measure it, no timeline on that right now but I'll get back to you.