• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Gits 523 Oiler

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Anyone know of a Canadian supplier of Gits oilers? I need a 523 for my tail stock and my searches are coming empty for Canadian content.
Thanks

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I believe there was a discussion on those here on the forum awhile back (I think).
I believe those are the same thing as ball oilers? I ordered a couple of them from Busy Bee a few years ago

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
MCM is down south and I like to stay north if I can.
I think there was a thread a while back as well but didn't find it.
I searched BB, KMS,KBS and they don't show anything on the sites.
BrentH - Is there an NSN for these that shows a source of supply?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure ihttps://www.mcmaster.com/oil-fittings/f this helps.

That’s the ones. Go to the Gits website and look up the specs for the #523. Then see which is the equivalent on the McMC catalogue.

There was an outfit in Edmonton that sold the Gits and Bijur products years ago. I asked them for a specific item - none were in stock. I asked them about their supplier => they said McMC. So I just bought them direct from McMaster myself.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
RobinHood - BC Bearing (Motion Ind) is listed as a supplier on the GITS website but are not showing the oilers on line. I think I'll give them a call.
Edit- just talked to Motion and they bring them in from the states on a per order bases, at that rate I may as well just order them my self. Won't be cheap but cheaper than buggering the ways.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, that could be an issue: they may also be pricy as you’d have to take a minimum amount in case it is special order... Plus the lead time...

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
BrentH- Yes it is the 3/8" ball top. If you could spare a couple that would replace my duff one and give me a spare.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey @YotaBota , If I have one it would be my spare to share - LOL I bought enough to redo the lathe from McMaster - that one is the $15 USD one :eek: - if they had the little barfing icon I would use that.......I re-used the one in my tailstock as it was not in that bad of condition - not sure why it is 3/8" either as that is super huge for oil. It would also be a good candidate for a wick type of affair verses a straight pipe.

I am not home to check for 2 more weeks if you have patience?
You could also make a cool sleeve for the hole and then use a 1/4" oil button as those are pretty cheap at $3.69 - and I think @YYCHobbyMachinist bought a bunch? He can chime in.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
$15 usd! They don't want much do they, I'll have a look at Ali and see if they have standard sizes.
YYC- are those the 6mm and 8mm ones. They are both to small for the hole in the TS but thanks for looking.
Maybe a shiny button plug would work.
I found one of the threads from a while ago (YYC and all) and it was all about metric size oilers.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YotaBota : yes so the 3/8 one is actually 13/32 and gets tapped into the hole to remain secure - a metric 10 mm one might do the trick - also, if you made up a plug that was a tight fit to the old hole with a small flange perhaps, you could then drill the plug to whatever size ball oiler you wished and tap it into place (suggest all drilling and reaming before installations). The top of the tailstock spindle has a milled slot that connects things to a wee drip hole that lubes the screw. Be sure this is free and clear of debris

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Folks! I'd go straight to Ebay and look for NOS When I redid the Atlas Lathe last winter I tried the Canadian suppliers and the 1/4 inch press in ones were 19.95 Cdn. As far as I know McMaster refuses to A) ship to Canada and B) accept Canadian credit cards, The last time I tried was a year ago or so their website says nothing but they will not process your order, or wouldn't then. bad news but better than wasting a bunch of time.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Desab - thanks for the offer, here is the spec sheet. #523 (far right column) is what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• Gits Style GB Ball Oiler _ GITS Manufacturing.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 15