Fusion 360 Fastener library

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Somebody needs to tell their developers that it's imperial and metric.
Does seem a bit strange? Maybe in the US the younger crowd that does programming refer to imperial as “US customary units” (without realizing there is a difference between “English customary units” and “US customary units”?

Probably only matters for the volume and density calculations I guess.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
What I’m interested in is whether inserting a fastener makes the model more computer intensive?

On my airplane model I left out fasteners because my poor laptop was struggling as it was.

Tecnico

(Dave)
What I’m interested in is whether inserting a fastener makes the model more computer intensive?

On my airplane model I left out fasteners because my poor laptop was struggling as it was.

Just to extend the thought train and maybe nit pic for fun, I wonder whether the modeller knows to calculate the correct weight of cosmetic vs real threads?

D :cool:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member

If the fastener has 'real' threads (the v-cut & helix etc.) then yes it will be more processor intensive. Because it must calculate that surface in 3D space no different than any other surface in the assembly. And generally curved or swept surfaces require more processing than planar, but that's getting into the weeds. Whereas a bolt part with cosmetic threads is more like a simple cylinder shank with a head. Cosmetic threads is more like a decal, more for rendering show, which is less processor intensive.

But there is another important CAD technique specifically to assist large assemblies. I'm sure F360 must have this but not sure what it might be called. SW calls theirs 'lightweight' which means a subassembly is more akin to a single part even though it could be comprised of many parts. A lot of features in lightweight are turned off including mates (although they can selectively be turned back on as required). Example CAD assembly of an entire car. The engine sub-assembly might be comprised of 5,000 parts & 500 mates between these parts. But importing as lightweight means, treat it like a simple frozen part & place it here in its entirety with just a few new mates. Same idea for for transmission, same for.... Now the car total assembly is significantly easier to process. And what's nice is you can cut section views or specify/suppress select BOM's in drawings....